Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adults wearing sports jerseys for leisure

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Sleeper12 wrote:
    The fashion sense of a lot of Irish men leaves a lot to be desired. There's plenty around Dublin that think a tracksuit is fashionable enough to wear to the pub when no sports are playing. With no pockets they shove their hands down the front of their tracksuit bottoms. Never ever shake their hands when you meet them!

Tilikum17 wrote:
    They’re chav scumbags.

Tilikum17 wrote:
    Grown men if football jerseys. Christ.

Does that include ruugby jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Personally the sight of grown men in pubs glued to some PL game with ill fitted jerseys on is just plain sad. In fact I cannot think of anything more pathetic. Grow up ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Personally the sight of grown men in pubs glued to some PL game with ill fitted jerseys on is just plain sad. In fact I cannot think of anything more pathetic. Grow up ffs.

But if they fit ok then it's alright?

But if they fit ok then it's alright?

No. I should clarify that grown men in football attire is just sad fitted or ill fitted. Even a bespoke ManU top from Louis Copeland is not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No. I should clarify that grown men in football attire is just sad fitted or ill fitted. Even a bespoke ManU top from Louis Copeland is not going to work.

Are you a football fan?

• Advertisement

Are you a football fan?

Yes I am.

More a passing interest these days admittedly and certainly nothing like my teenage years.

Yes I am.

More a passing interest these days admittedly and certainly nothing like my teenage years.

That explains that then.

It depends, I guess, in how invested you are in a particular team.

I wouldn't hold anything against a lad in his 20's or 30's wearing a shirt if he's watching a game at the pub with mates. Especially if it fits well.

The most tragic thing for me is seeing lads who very clearly no longer have the figure to be wearing sports attire beat into a shirt and these fans to be older fans in their 40's plus which is natural.

That explains that then.

It depends, I guess, in how invested you are in a particular team.

I wouldn't hold anything against a lad in his 20's or 30's wearing a shirt if he's watching a game at the pub with mates. Especially if it fits well.

The most tragic thing for me is seeing lads who very clearly no longer have the figure to be wearing sports attire beat into a shirt and these fans to be older fans in their 40's plus which is natural.

I am not so bothered whether it is fitted or not.

Interestingly as I now live in England I can go to a game every week if I want. Within a 45 mins drive I have multiple teams from all divisions in close proximity. You do not see as many fans at the games wearing jerseys as you might expect- more scarfs and hats.

I believe it's probably down to the bad rep that follows football supporters. You may very well struggle to get in to a bar etc if you are wearing a jersey so most do not bother. In fact many places have a outright ban on football attire. If you are wearing a jersey around the place in all its glory it set off red flags automatically and you are seen as a potential hooligan. Basically more trouble than it's worth so don't bother with jersey and as it is so partisan over here you may get the head kicked off you walking down the wrong street.

Interestingly as I now live in England I can go to a game every week if I want. Within a 45 mins drive I have multiple teams from all divisions in close proximity. You do not see as many fans at the games wearing jerseys as you might expect- more scarfs and hats.

I believe it's probably down to the bad rep that follows football supporters. You may very well struggle to get in to a bar etc if you are wearing a jersey so most do not bother. In fact many places have a outright ban on football attire. If you are wearing a jersey around the place in all its glory it set off red flags automatically and you are seen as a potential hooligan. Basically more trouble than it's worth so don't bother with jersey and as it is so partisan over here you may get the head kicked off you walking down the wrong street.

Yup, from attending games in England I agree with this. Depends on the size of the club/division though.

Fair enough, I disagree though that simply by wearing a football shirt you're signifying yourself potentially as some kind of knacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Are you seriously trying to say hooligans wear the jersey of their team? Because that is blatantly untrue.

• Advertisement

Are you seriously trying to say hooligans wear the jersey of their team? Because that is blatantly untrue.

What I am saying if you read it again is that is that Joe Soap on the street sees a bunch of guys in football jerseys or if Mr Pub Landlord sees a bunch a football jerseys trying to enter the pub there is quite often a perception (rightly or wrongly) that trouble is not far away. Lout or hooligan whatever you want to call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What I am saying if you read it again is that is that Joe Soap on the street sees a bunch of guys in football jerseys or if Mr Pub Landlord sees a bunch a football jerseys trying to enter the pub there is quite often a perception (rightly or wrongly) that trouble is not far away. Loath or hooligan whatever you want to call it.

I’ve seen fights in pubs between Liverpool and Man United fans and this was when United weren’t even playing. Why would United fans go to watch a Liverpool game if they didn’t want to start trouble?

It’s pretty stark that you can go to a rugby or GAA match and end up sitting beside an opposition supporter whereas when it’s soccer the opposing fans are cowed into a small section of the stadium.

You always walk past signs in the Aviva saying “no alcohol beyond this point” when it’s a rugby match. That says a lot.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’ve seen fights in pubs between Liverpool and Man United fans and this was when United weren’t even playing. Why would United fans go to watch a Liverpool game if they didn’t want to start trouble?

It’s pretty stark that you can go to a rugby or GAA match and end up sitting beside an opposition supporter whereas when it’s soccer the opposing fans are cowed into a small section of the stadium.

You always walk past signs in the Aviva saying “no alcohol beyond this point” when it’s a rugby match. That says a lot.

You can take drink into the stand with you at a rugby game over here no problem but no chance at a football game.

I was at a Champions League game last year and there is no alcohol served at all inside or outside the stadium. I had no idea that would be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The atmosphere at a GAA or Rugby games does not come remotely close to a massive game in soccer,

Can argue what way you like its just not the same intense atmosphere ,

Iv been to countless all Ireland final and 1 Heineken cup final even Ireland v England in Croke park and its just not the same ,

All good for different reason but sheer atmosphere at a big soccer game is unbeatable ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Didn’t realise there were so many budding Karl lagerfelds on this thread !

I’ve absolutely no problem with ppl wearing sports jerseys. whether they are 9 or 90, regardless of physical fitness

Also. Do ppl realise those official jerseys/licensed products are pretty pricey and not “tat”.

It’s a self esteem and identity thing. no harm in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You can take drink into the stand with you at a rugby game over here no problem but no chance at a football game.

I was at a Champions League game last year and there is no alcohol served at all inside or outside the stadium. I had no idea that would be the case.
    A game must be fairly pathetic if supporters have to have alcohol to keep them entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

The guys with player's surnames on the back are the worst .

Why would you wear another male's name on your back?

Do you wear Ralph Lauren / Tommy Hilfiger / Adidas / Abercrombie and Fitch emblazoned clothing?

You do realise its the same thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Do you wear Ralph Lauren / Tommy Hilfiger / Adidas / Abercrombie and Fitch emblazoned clothing?

You do realise its the same thing.....

No it isn’t. Wake up.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    No it isn’t. Wake up.

The person I quoted said it was sad to wear another mans name on your clothing...so yes it is very much the same as that!

Not saying that wearing jerseys is the same as wearing those branded clothing, but having the name of another man on your clothing doubles in to those brands too - whether you agree or not, it is actually a fact.

Edgware wrote: »
    A game must be fairly pathetic if supporters have to have alcohol to keep them entertained.

Who said anything about people needing alcohol to keep them entertained? I guess you can draw the same conclusion for the theater, concerts, cinema and pretty much any entertainment venue that serves alcohol.

It's a comment on the fact that alcohol is allowed at rugby games but not football.

Jump to '2 + 2 = 5' much?

• Advertisement

Who said anything about people needing alcohol to keep them entertained? I guess you can draw the same conclusion for the theater, concerts, cinema and pretty much any entertainment venue that serves alcohol.

It's a comment on the fact that alcohol is allowed at rugby games but not football.

I'm very much a soccer fan over rugby - but I have to agree here. There's a reason alcohol is allowed at rugby matches and not at soccer games.

It's very much about who attends and the history of fan violence in both sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Edgware wrote: »

Have you seen any early round CL games? Few cans doesn't go astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Take aviva and alcohol is allowed at soccer games as well but only difference for soccer games being you cant drink at your seat and if you want a beer then you have to drink out at the concourse area
    Alcohols allowed at both just where you can drink is different

Advertisement