Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does James Corden - want to be the next James Bond or something?

• 02-04-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭

OK I saw this on RTE News Now.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0402/1040101-corden-says-chubby-actors-shut-out-of-romantic-roles/

"James Corden says Chubby actors are shut out of romantic roles."
    The worst part is he uses banquet table as an analogy!

I thought there is a very obvious reason for that romantic roles are put there so women can fantisise etc
    Are women going to fatasise about a fat fella, or the fella with the abs who puts a bit of effort in?

The bit that really annoys me is that Corden has been a fat fecker from the word go. In fact he plays up on his lard @rseness.
    Despite all his millions he cannot go on a fitness program, get a dietitian/nutritionist/chef/his own gym?

Who knows I might be completely wrong, women might prefer to see a big fat lard @rse as the next James Bond?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OK I saw this on RTE News Now.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0402/1040101-corden-says-chubby-actors-shut-out-of-romantic-roles/

"James Corden says Chubby actors are shut out of romantic roles."
    The worst part is he uses banquet table as an analogy!

I thought there is a very obvious reason for that romantic roles are put there so women can fantisise etc
    Are women going to fatasise about a fat fella, or the fella with the abs who puts a bit of effort in?

The bit that really annoys me is that Corden has been a fat fecker from the word go. In fact he plays up on his lard @rseness.
    Despite all his millions he cannot go on a fitness program, get a dietitian/nutritionist/chef/his own gym?

Who knows I might be completely wrong women might prefer to see a big fat lard @rse as the next James Bond?

Come on, if there was such a position then Corden wouldn't get through basic training.

Next test: 20 chin ups!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well he might have some semblance of a point re chubby romantic roles but he's using a very bad example in James Bond as Bond obviously has to be fit.

The first female Jane Bond? I don't think so.

tess_holliday.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

I don’t think James Corden is capable of turning down any role or any chance to appear anywhere so yes, I imagine he does want to be the next Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

What about when he played Smithy in Gavin and Stacy and he was with Nessa? That was kind of romantic except for the toilet brush bit and the KFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I really don't think people want to see, er, wider folk in sex scenes.

It seems like he wants his cake and wants to eat it too. Quite literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's he on about? Who would want to watch him in a rom com, he's not good looking and has serious weight isssues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Don't like the guy but one thing I saw of him was the skit he did with mark wahlberg and Mark was going through his workout routine and diet, James was just making fun of the whole workout, yes he's joking but nothing to be proud of to be some fat slob that puts zero effort into exercise, I'd say Mark just thought he was a lazy wanker

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Think he had a go at being the milk tray man, but ate them all.

What's he on about? Who would want to watch him in a rom com, he's not good looking and has serious weight isssues.

I was joking in my post but he could actually do a romcom very well if you saw him in Gavin and Stacy.

I don't know about a more serious romantic role though probably for the reasons he says tbf to him.

Tess Holiday would be attractive if she lost the weight.

Corden has nothing going for him in the looks department.

• Advertisement

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I was joking in my post but he could actually do a romcom very well if you saw him in Gavin and Stacy.

I don't know about a more serious romantic role though probably for the reasons he says tbf to him.
    Yeah as the goofy funny friend.

It would be ridiculous to cast him in a leading man, love interest role in Hollywood.

Yeah as the goofy funny friend..

He did play the funny friend but he also had a few serious moments in it as well with Nessa and they had a baby together.

It would be ridiculous to cast him in a leading man, love interest role in Hollywood.

That's what he's saying, that he's shut out as an option for those roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Pherekydes wrote:
    Come on, if there was such a position then Corden wouldn't get through basic training.

Next test: 20 chin ups!

That would be one rep in his case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The irony is lost on this guy.

He essentially got his break, and subsequently made a career, out of being a 'funny fat guy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Tess Holiday would be attractive if she lost the weight.

Corden has nothing going for him in the looks department.

Really? I’d say he’d look good. Like turtle.

With his money he could be in good shape in less than a year. Private gym, personal trainer at the house. Nutritionist. I mean you don’t need all that but it makes it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a fella in America who is comparable to James Corden -

Kevin James
    From 'King of Queens' fame.

the_king_of_queens_kevin_james.jpg

He knows the roles he is suited to
    He plays the eejit in the 'King of Queens' and constantly makes fun of his own weight (as the above quote shows.)

When he played the action hero it was a comedy like 'Mall Cop'

46098e07623e269c74c60b62ea48d563.jpg

But if you put an overweight fella in an action hero role - lead in a serious romance type film it would very quickly be an unintentional comedy, I think.

With his money he could be in good shape in less than a year. Private gym, personal trainer at the house. Nutritionist. I mean you don’t need all that but it makes it easier.

Do you mean bariatric surgery and liposuction?

Exactly that is the bit that really annoyed me.
    If he feels that left out he has plenty of chance to rectify it much easier than the less well off person.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Do you mean bariatric surgery and liposuction?

Naw. He could lose the weight in a year. Less. 1 pound a week is 52 pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When you look at all the people who made millions and built their careers off the Rom-Com industry, Jennifer Aniston, Matthew McConnaughty, Katherine Heigl etc, they are good looking people but they don't just wake up and stay good-looking. They actually put some work into looking healthy and make sacrifices.

I would imagine Jennifer Aniston would love nothing more than to be sitting on her backside all day, eating pizza but she stayed healthy and made an absolute fortune from it. She wouldn't have got the roles if she didn't. These people actually worked for it, outside of their acting abilities.

Exactly that is the bit that really annoyed me.
    If he feels that left out he has plenty of chance to rectify it much easier than the less well off person.

Plenty of time in the morning too. I mean it’s a busy enough job but he could easily afford 60-90 minutes. And hire a cook.

Naw. He could lose the weight in a year. Less. 1 pound a week is 52 pounds.

Yeah, but that would take some effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I think James Corden could easily play a romantic lead, I could see him in the one of those inane Love Actually type roles. There's literally no reason he couldn't be. He could play that funny sweet self effacing type that Hugh Grant used to play.

Worth pointing out too that Idris Elba for all his handsomeness, and fitness and buckets of charm etc also never gets cast in romantic lead roles either, he's spoken about that too. Hollywood is obviously invested in keeping a certain type in those roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I really dislike James Corden, with that fake laugh and his small dead beady eyes. Extremely insincere sort of guy. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was a sociopath.

I really dislike James Corden, with that fake laugh and his small dead beady eyes. Extremely insincere sort of guy. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was a sociopath.

I have not considered that angle!
    To me I think he is a guy with a massive chip on his shoulder despite his success and fame.

It all started fairly early in his career as well when the mask slipped a bit.
    He himself even admitted he was a 'brat'

https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a341795/james-corden-on-bafta-win-i-was-ungracious-ungrateful-and-bratish/

I am not sure his 'emotional moments in speeches' are put on or not?
    He has done very well for himself I think, but the fella seems extremely insecure.

I think James Corden could easily play a romantic lead, I could see him in the one of those inane Love Actually type roles. There's literally no reason he couldn't be. He could play that funny sweet self effacing type that Hugh Grant used to play.

Worth pointing out too that Idris Elba for all his handsomeness, and fitness and buckets of charm etc also never gets cast in romantic lead roles either, he's spoken about that too. Hollywood is obviously invested in keeping a certain type in those roles.

So it would turn into a self-effacing comedy type role if Corden was cast as lead?
    It is exactly what he seems to rallying against now the 'fat funny fella' role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

He is claiming that if you are unattractive and overweight then you are effectively blacklisted from getting cast as the lead in romantic roles, that the best you can hope for is to be the comic relief sidekick, supporting character. I think there is a cognitive dissonance at play with Corden. He is overweight and doesn't exactly possess Matinee good looks. If he lost 50 pounds he won't miraculously transform into a sex symbol getting rom-com scripts thrown his way. He trades on the force of his personality which ironically plays up to the "jolly fat man" trope and stereotype. He's been in the business a long time and should know that no studio in their right mind would invest money into producing a run of the mill rom com with overweight leads. To do so would require material far above and beyond the regurgitated "Matthew McConnaughy always leaning in the poster" stuff they churn out regularly. It would need to be something like My Big Fat Greek Wedding where it is actually written by a left field looking lead character for a studio to commit and take a risk. Corden himself grasps that he made his own break by co-writing a good, well received show.

Think about the famed romantic comedies, Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally, Jack Lemmon in the Apartments even Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle. Not exactly Adonis' in the looks and physique department are they? Yet they got the roles through sheer talent and likability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Some women are feeders! :o

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    He is claiming that if you are unattractive and overweight then you are effectively blacklisted from getting cast as the lead in romantic roles, that the best you can hope for is to be the comic relief sidekick, supporting character. I think there is a cognitive dissonance at play with Corden. He is overweight and doesn't exactly possess Matinee good looks. If he lost 50 pounds he won't miraculously transform into a sex symbol getting rom-com scripts thrown his way. He trades on the force of his personality which ironically plays up to the "jolly fat man" trope and stereotype. He's been in the business a long time and should know that no studio in their right mind would invest money into producing a run of the mill rom com with overweight leads. To do so would require material far above and beyond the regurgitated "Matthew McConnaughy always leaning in the poster" stuff they churn out regularly. It would need to be something like My Big Fat Greek Wedding where it is actually written by a left field looking lead character for a studio to commit and take a risk. Corden himself grasps that he made his own break by co-writing a good, well received show.

Think about the famed romantic comedies, Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally, Jack Lemmon in the Apartments even Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle. Not exactly Adonis' in the looks and physique department are they? Yet they got the roles through sheer talent and likability.

See I think you are wrong about whether he would be good looking if not fat, I think he would be - hard to see what else is wrong with his features. So it is up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

But if you put an overweight fella in an action hero role - lead in a serious romance type film it would very quickly be an unintentional comedy, I think.

There is no way James Cordon playing John McCalain squeezing through this tunnel would turn into an unintentional comedy.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

He wears the same watch brand as Bond, but wrong model.

It all started fairly early in his career as well when the mask slipped a bit.
    He himself even admitted he was a 'brat'.

Ah stop :pac: admitting that fame went to his head early on in his career is hardly proof he's a sociopath!! :D
    He is claiming that if you are unattractive and overweight then you are effectively blacklisted from getting cast as the lead in romantic roles, that the best you can hope for is to be the comic relief sidekick, supporting character. I think there is a cognitive dissonance at play with Corden. He is overweight and doesn't exactly possess Matinee good looks.

I don't think it's cognitive dissonance. What he's saying is true but alot of actors do get typecast and there's other things that would effect his chances too not just his weight.

Unlike someone say like James Gandolfini, he kind of has a babyish face and his public persona plays up to the mischievous childlike character that he's played before so if you want to do diverse roles as an actor, you should probably keep a bit of mystery about yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... He is overweight and doesn't exactly possess Matinee good looks. ...

Manatee, on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

He's the fat lad on the telly is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wasn't the Paul Potts biopic he did essentially a Rom-Com?

Advertisement