Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Dr' Keyes reporting for duty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Think geldof got a doctorate at the same ceremony.

Does he write Chick lit as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Would have been better if she were awarded it by LIT instead of UL.

These honorary doctorates should be scrapped, pomp and pageantry of it all is distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why are you so angry about this? Is everything okay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Poor ould buggers combing through Beowulf analysis and Joycean scholar notes and stuff for years on end living in a cold bedsit.

Should just have written piles of nonsense that dumb bints grab before they get the train to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's not much of a stretch to imagine that the author of twelve comic novels has a sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RMAOK wrote: »
    Think geldof got a doctorate at the same ceremony.

Does he write Chick lit as well?

No doubt if someone in UL does something wrong, the sanctimonious Mr. Geldof will be ringing up the press to tell them what time he's coming back to hand his doctorate back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Almost 100k tweets since 2012. She's averaging about 40 tweets a day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I read her Twitter, shes having the craic leave the poor woman alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Do you object to honorary doctorates in general, OP, or just some of the people who receive them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why are you so angry about this? Is everything okay at home?
    Pompous to change her name on Twitter.

Honorary doctorates for chick lit writing aren't fair. Now if she were a war correspondent like the late Marie Colvin - that's fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Erra she's not my cup of tea and seems as mad as a bag of cats but what harm.

This will probably be the first and last time she's referred to as Dr anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Honorary doctorates for chick lit writing aren't fair. Now if she were a war correspondent like the late Marie Colvin - that's fairer.

Same as yer man Paul O Connell , awarded one for "egg chasin'" , fcukin egg chasin'.

Ah lads, when did we become so po-faced? The name change is a joke, surely?

Honorary doctorates are kind of our version of the UK honours system. And people get those for all kinds of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So apparently Marian Keyes has a received an honorary doctorate of letters, presumably for her services to **** lit. I mean chick lit!
    These doctorates are a complete and utter joke.
    I've always found here incredibly false, but just have a look at her twitter :rolleyes:

https://extra.ie/2019/01/15/entertainment/it-is-now-dr-marian-keyes-and-dr-bob-geldof-after-ul-awards-celebs

https://twitter.com/MarianKeyes?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I cant. I'm blocked, despite never interacting with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

People putting in overtime shifts in the online outrage factories today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

topper75 wrote: »
    Poor ould buggers combing through Beowulf analysis and Joycean scholar notes and stuff for years on end living in a cold bedsit.

Should just have written piles of nonsense that dumb bints grab before they get the train to Cork.
    How many of them do you think are shaking their fist at the ceiling in envy at the thought of Marian Keyes getting a fake degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dame Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I know its a depressing time of year, and its hard staying off the booze and the smokes ,but is this seriously something that annoys people that much they have to start a moany thread on AH about it? Has it ruined your day OP?

Its a bit of craic, and is acknowledging the success that the woman has had in her career. Fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

I suppose it's a consolation for not being nominated for the P.G.Wodehouse prize-

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/marian-keyes-is-not-amused-as-novel-not-entered-for-comic-prize-1.3519189

• Advertisement

I know its a depressing time of year, and its hard staying off the booze and the smokes ,but is this seriously something that annoys people that much they have to start a moany thread on AH about it? Has it ruined your day OP?

Its a bit of craic, and is acknowledging the success that the woman has had in her career. Fair play to her

My thoughts too. I think most people are cognisant of the fact that honorary doctorates are not the same as doctorates that people spend years slaving over to achieve. Honorary doctorates certainly don’t devalue the real ones for me personally. They just acknowledge people who have achieved great success in their field.

People have their various successes recognized in nice but ultimately meaningless ceremony.

Good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ah lads, when did we become so po-faced? The name change is a joke, surely?

Oh come on, as mentioned she obviously did it for the laugh. She also changes her name to Marian Screams at Halloween. And don't pretend like you wouldn't do similar if you got one. I know I would for a bit for the laugh.

Have you read any of her books? And why is "chick lit" so looked down upon? Is it not "literary" enough for you?

The fact that her books often deal with issues like addiction, in a much more accessible way is to be commended. I don't see it as having to be an either or scenario for awarding honorary doctorates - at the end of the day it's up to the university themselves as to who they pick.

Oh come on, as mentioned she obviously did it for the laugh. She also changes her name to Marian Screams at Halloween. And don't pretend like you wouldn't do similar if you got one. I know I would for a bit for the laugh.

Have you read any of her books? And why is "chick lit" so looked down upon? Is it not "literary" enough for you?

The fact that her books often deal with issues like addiction, in a much more accessible way is to be commended. I don't see it as having to be an either or scenario for awarding honorary doctorates - at the end of the day it's up to the university themselves as to who they pick.

Yeah, I don’t get that either. People get honorary doctorates for achieving huge success in their area. The area doesn’t have to be particularly cerebral. That’s what Nobel prizes are for.

I don’t much care for Marian Keyes personality-wise but she is massively successful and I have huge respect for her for turning her life around from being a near-destitute alcoholic in her 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Does this mean she'll be able to cure her depression?

I really hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus who cares. Fair play let them have their day out.

My god from reading some of the posts here I have this vision of the posters!

harry-paul-gits.jpg?imwidth=480

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Do you really care OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All the academics are just jealous because nobody wants to read their work. :pac:

If writing hit sellers in 'chick-lit' was easy every author would try their hand at it.

Advertisement