Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivers trying to escape the bus lane when they see a garda ahead. Let them in?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Let them in. I'm neither a traffic cop or a snitch.

Nope. You may as well let people push in front of you at the bank or while your waiting to be served at a bar or let them in front of you in the supermarket.
    Fcuk them...the bus lane is for buses not for some prick who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

RobertKK wrote: »
    They are breaking the rules of the road, one is not obliged to be complicit in their crime.

The rules of the road are not law. The Road Traffic Acts are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The rules of the road are not law. The Road Traffic Acts are.
    In this case they are completely backed up by law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not going to cause any accidents but I'm not going to go out of my way to facilitate any driver trying to escape the bus lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

(Set the scene.. classical music playing in the car...)

I like to wind down my window and say "there is a que sir/madam...And you don't appear to be in it.... Mwah haw haw!"

Wind up the window and trudge along bumper to bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It always amazes me the amount of people who let drivers skip traffic like this. My regular route often has a free bus lane with the regular traffic stuck. There are always a few that use the bus lane. The cops are sometimes there so catch some. When the cops are there and spotted there are all these cars trying to get back in the proper lane.
    Saw some get back into the proper lane. Cycled up to the cop and said I could identify 5 cars that went into the regular traffic. He asked me to point them out. So we walked along together and got them all to pulled over. He simply asked them if they had been in the bus lane and they all just admitted it. They were none to happy with me and one did recognise me a few weeks later and started yelling at me. All on video which I handed in but nothing was done.

Ah jaysus - that's being a right pr#ck now lol

TheChizler wrote: »
    In this case they are completely backed up by law.

They are breaking the Road Traffic Act. You cannot be done for breaking the rules of the road.

The ROTR is part advisory part simple road traffic laws. Not everything in it is law.

They are breaking the Road Traffic Act. You cannot be done for breaking the rules of the road.

The ROTR is part advisory part simple road traffic laws. Not everything in it is law.
    I do normally love a bit of pedantry, but we all know what they meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hell no.

Driving in a bus lane is €40 and no points. I have done and so have most people. But don't expect traffic to part like the red sea to let you away with it.

Close the gap, apply the horn. For several seconds.

• Advertisement

No they meant the ROTR. Some people (especially cyclists) think this is the law. Its not.

Its just a book.

You just have to laugh at some of the crap on twitter. Yes cars should not be in bus lanes but cyclists should not be trying to go between the kerb and a bus that is pulling into a stop.

That is illegal under the RTA although the ROTR says different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No they meant the ROTR. Some people (especially cyclists) think this is the law. Its not.

Its just a book.

You just have to laugh at some of the crap on twitter. Yes cars should not be in bus lanes but cyclists should not be trying to go between the kerb and a bus that is pulling into a stop.

That is illegal under the RTA although the ROTR says different.
    What is the law you are saying applies here? I cycle and it depends where the bus and cyclist is. A cyclist can legally travel on the inside of a bus. The bus can't just turn into the cyclist. Never heard a cyclist claim they can cycle inside a bus that is indicating to pull in. Sounds like you made up a claim that nobody makes.
    I think it is funny how people think I was the pr!ck for pointing out people who were skipping traffic because that to me is the pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

What is the law you are saying applies here? I cycle and it depends where the bus and cyclist is. A cyclist can legally travel on the inside of a bus. The bus can't just turn into the cyclist. Never heard a cyclist claim they can cycle inside a bus that is indicating to pull in. Sounds like you made up a claim that nobody makes.
    I think it is funny how people think I was the pr!ck for pointing out people who were skipping traffic because that to me is the pr!ck.

Well they were pricks, but perhaps you were a bigger prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

never let them in, punishment is the best educator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its no big deal. Let them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

May or may not let them in depending on how I feel but it's make no difference if the Garda have noticed them. I've seen the Garda pull people over after they've merged back into traffic at the Maxol exit on the N3 inbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I remember some European city put dashcams in the buses and automatically fined people who drove in the bus lane.

Sounds like a clever solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

lawred2 wrote: »

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but only because I couldn't be bothered. I certainly see nothing wrong with reporting crime that delays and may endanger other road users.

He may have gotten tired of being buzzed by them. In my experience the same drivers who illegally use the bus lane tend to zoom past cyclists in it with mm to spare.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but only because I couldn't be bothered. I certainly see nothing wrong with reporting crime that delays and may endanger other road users.

He may have gotten tired of being buzzed by them. In my experience the same drivers who illegally use the bus lane tend to zoom past cyclists in it with mm to spare.
    That is exactly why I pointed them out. They had all been speeding by me too. The reason they all said they had been in the bus lane was they saw I had a camera. The drivers behind them were all delighted to see them pulled over and were laughing giving thumbs up.
    The suggestion that I am miserable and live in a state of anger is riddiculious. Not having petty fights over every rule broken on the road. If I see something and can do something about it I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

oLoonatic wrote: »
    depends on what car they are driving. BMW, Audi or Merc is a no from me.

Make way for the Bentley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Of course I wouldn't let them in, nor would I flash to warn a speeding motorist of an upcoming speed camera.
    Fcuk them, love seeing them get caught.

Unfortunately, there's probably enough spabots driving that would let them in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Of course I wouldn't let them in, nor would I flash to warn a speeding motorist of an upcoming speed camera.
    Fcuk them, love seeing them get caught.

Unfortunately, there's probably enough spabots driving that would let them in though.

I wouldn't necessarily equate flashing for some speed vans to letting bus lane breakers in.

Some speed limits I find are pretty easy to exceed accidentally, places like the Long Mile Road after coming off the M50. I've seen country lanes that have limits of 80 whereas some dual carriageways have half that.

Basically, the bus lane **** are doing it purposely whereas the speed limit one isn't always as clear. If someone is absolutely belting along then they deserve it though and your flash probably won't save them anyway. That's my take on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

seamus wrote: »
    Fair play Ray, that's a public service.

To answer the OP, no I don't let these people in, Garda or no Garda. I wouldn't be exceptionally aggressive about it - if their nose is already in the lane, I'm not going to go around them to block them, but I'm also not going to leave a gap to let some queue skipping prick in.

nah I just drive round them. No problem letting people in if they're clearly a bit lost or pulling out of a side street but those asshole queue jumpers. F*ck them. Making everyones journey longer by holding up traffic as they switch lanes.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    yer man on the bike in that video should have just stayed in her way. let her move. don't say a word to her.

I'd just have stayed there and stared at her. I've a good psycho stare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

CrankyHaus wrote: »

100% people breaking one law are the ones that will not then consider others. The driver that comes too close while cycling is often the one that should not be there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

work wrote: »
    100% people breaking one law are the ones that will not then consider others. The driver that comes too close while cycling is often the one that should not be there in the first place.

I dunno man. What are you, some sort of bitter sad person?
    Much sounder to do nothing about it and then tell each other how sad it is when they eventually kill or cripple someone.

Oh FFS. This is the problem. "A cyclist can legally travel on the inside of a bus"...

Yes. Until the bus starts to indicate its pulling in. Then its illegal.

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print

The many cyclists that bitch about Dublin Bus on twitter should read this law. They need to take some responsibility.

If a bus overtakes a cyclist, they should hang back and go around the bus once its pulled in at the stop. Its in the LAW above.

A cyclist can legally travel on the inside of a bus. The bus can't just turn into the cyclist. Never heard a cyclist claim they can cycle inside a bus that is indicating to pull in. Sounds like you made up a claim that nobody makes.
    Oh FFS. This is the problem. "A cyclist can legally travel on the inside of a bus"...

I've never seen two people in such combative agreement! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

On my trip to work every day there is a bus lane along the naas road which eventually leads to a turn in for the western industrial estate. On the semi regular occasions when our magnificent boys in blue are policing this bus lane, you can tell miles before hand because it's impact on the traffic is so bad.

It's senseless to force people who are turning left to sit in a que for no good reason, when there is a perfectly good empty bus lane all the way to their turn. It's in everyones interest for them to use it and let the traffic going straight flow that bit better. The example above put 10 to 15 minutes on my journey to work (roughly a 35 - 40% increase) and we're talking about maybe 200 or 250m of bus lane at best. It's idiotic!

People who try block others from getting into or out of bus lanes are probably just interfering busy body pricks in general in my opinion - just mind your own fúcking business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

On my trip to work every day there is a bus lane along the naas road which eventually leads to a turn in for the western industrial estate. On the semi regular occasions when our magnificent boys in blue are policing this bus lane, you can tell miles before hand because it's impact on the traffic is so bad.

It's senseless to force people who are turning left to sit in a que for no good reason, when there is a perfectly good empty bus lane all the way to their turn. It's in everyones interest for them to use it and let the traffic going straight flow that bit better. The example above put 10 to 15 minutes on my journey to work (roughly a 35 - 40% increase) and we're talking about maybe 200 or 250m of bus lane at best. It's idiotic!

People who try block others from getting into or out of bus lanes are probably just interfering busy body pricks in general in my opinion - just mind your own fúcking business.

As long as they're not blocking other traffic, I don't mind if someone enters a bus lane a little earlier than permitted to take an upcoming left turn. I don't think anyone does. As you say, it can aid the flow of traffic, again on the proviso that they don't block traffic that is allowed to be in the bus lane.

It's the drivers who use the bus lane as their own personal overtaking lane so they can skip queues that people have an issue with. If these people want to use the bus lane that much, then they should maybe take the bus.

A cyclist can legally travel on the inside of a bus. The bus can't just turn into the cyclist. Never heard a cyclist claim they can cycle inside a bus that is indicating to pull in. Sounds like you made up a claim that nobody makes.

I've never seen two people in such combative agreement! :D
    I kind of agree with you but he seems to be suggesting buses can pull around a cyclist and then just indicate and then have right of way. That is not what the law says and I gather he is suggesting once a a vehicle indicates the cyclist has no right of way. This is not true as you must indicate in plenty of time before crossing any other vehicles path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you are at the top of a queue in the supermarket or the bank and some lad strolls past everyone and stands beside you are you happy enough to stand aside and let him go ahead of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

rgodard80a wrote: »
    If the garda car has their siren on, then by all means they're on an emergency call.... get out of their way and accommodate people out of their way.

But if the Garda car didn't have their lights/sirens on, I'd be actively blocking them from merging back into the correct lane.

You appear to have misunderstood the OP....:confused:

Me, I wouldn't be accommodating them filtering back in. As someone else said, if it's good enough for ya when there's no Guards then it's good enough for ya when there is...... :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If they aren't willing to take responsibility for everything they do behind the wheel, they shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

mfceiling wrote: »
    If you are at the top of a queue in the supermarket or the bank and some lad strolls past everyone and stands beside you are you happy enough to stand aside and let him go ahead of you?

It's not the same thing at all. If for some reason I had to use till 2 which had a big que, but till 1 was empty and that would do him, what would be gained by making him que anyway? Apart from whatever warm glow of smug prickery these people seem to derive.

I see this clown in a big jeep every now and again on my way home, who positions himself half in the bus lane, purely to prevent people from skipping past him, even though they are (mostly) turning left and he is going straight. What an absolute knob jockey!

This depends.
    If the car behind me is tailgating and in a hurry, I’d let them all out in front to see the rage.

I wouldn’t normally let them out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

oLoonatic wrote: »
    depends on what car they are driving. BMW, Audi or Merc is a no from me.
    So it's a no from you about 95% of the time then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mfceiling wrote: »
    Nope. You may as well let people push in front of you at the bank or while your waiting to be served at a bar or let them in front of you in the supermarket.
    Fcuk them...the bus lane is for buses not for some prick who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to him/her.

Do you get so incensed when a motorcyclist rides down the bus land then jumps back in front of you?.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wouldn't let them in unless not doing so was dangerous or unsafe, so 99% of the time, no, learn their lesson.

This said, considering the amount of time and petrol you'd save on the N11 during rush hour when the schools and universities are back in full swing, and how rare enforcement is, you'd be a fool not too. The petrol saved would pay for the fine.

This said I am a law abiding fool, so I won't.

Advertisement