Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people still play cards anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

We play in phases - a game called Capitalism was all the rage for a while. Trick game, where the winners get to stay on the top of the pile and the losers get screwed. If you're on the bottom, you get to try and climb the greasy pole. If on top, you defend your position and tread on the weaker players. Hark back to the Celtic Tiger years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Five and seven hand rummy when it was raining and we couldnt get outside on the summer holidays

Simple and better times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

We play cribbage regularly, and I play it every now and then for money in a local Working Mens Club (I'm in Yorkshire).

Post-dinner Belote is mandatory whenever we visit family in France.

Although I play both 'with partner' (4 player game), I still prefer Belote to Cribbage, it's more cerebral and tactical (there's more ways to eventually make good out of a random hand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Switch is very popular round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Witchie wrote: »
    Any time there are 3 or more of us at my parents house the cards get pulled out and we play a game called Black Jacks. Its not the 21 black jacks. It has loads of rules and is the best craic.

My dad has made up or used old sayings all the time during games, such as, if the cards run out and need to be reshuffled someone is asked to "box" them. The pile of cards is referred to as the "bun" and if you lose you get "scrabbed" where all the other players playfully scratch you (gently).

So we do Kris Kindle in our house and my youngest son got his grandad and got him a packet of cards with 10 of our family sayings on the back of each card. They are epic. Best. Present. Ever.

Usually a card game would break out on a Sunday night after tea which dad always makes of home chips and salad......aw I miss those days.

I used to play that game a lot but I can't remember the rules. If you are ever at a loose end and fancy jotting the rules down and sending them to me I would be so grateful :)

No rush, just sometime I'd love to play a game of Blackjack.

• Advertisement

My local has don night every Thursday, although it is a fairly old crowd. I know poker kicked off in a huge way here a years ago, has that died down now? I remember a lot of bars would have a Texas hold em night before, haven't seen them advertised in a while though

My local has don night every Thursday, although it is a fairly old crowd. I know poker kicked off in a huge way here a years ago, has that died down now? I remember a lot of bars would have a Texas hold em night before, haven't seen them advertised in a while though

I saw your username and just had to comment.

I love it! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Used play cards, got sick of old fellas giving out. No hopers sexually repressed pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

When my family get together we always play cards. I used to be part of poker groups in Cork and Dublin but moved away, I'm sure they're still going. I'd like to join another group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Think your going to have to ask someone at a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Have a poker game on Saturday night, been a few months since the last one.

I made my own table back in the poker boom a few years back. Damn fine job it is too even if I do say so myself.

Unfortunately the bloody cat ripped the shlt out of the vinyl at one end so some repairs are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My father and a regular school play Solo twice a week. They've been doing this for over 30 years. Sad thing is that when the older players die (my father included), the game will end because there is nobody new playing. They would love new players to sit in, even for a few hands but nobody wants to learn. I've tried to learn it but haven't the patience to sit playing for 3-4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I still play some shithead with a few of the lads, and there's usually a good game of Cards Against Humanity once a month, although i don't know if that can classed as a card game.
    Our Scout leaders have some vicious games of Sh*thead (a variation of it) whenever we're away on camp and the kids are asleep. Probably my favourite game out there.

Oh my god!! ****head was taught to me and my friends about 15 years ago by another friend after he learned it while he was living in Wales. We played it all the time in the pub. I have never met anyone else who knew it or even heard of it.

I've been teaching it to people for years, fantastic game. You can have 30 cards in your hand playing against someone with 4, and you can still win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

mud wrote: »
    I used to play that game a lot but I can't remember the rules. If you are ever at a loose end and fancy jotting the rules down and sending them to me I would be so grateful :)

No rush, just sometime I'd love to play a game of Blackjack.

Ok the rules we play are as follows:

Pick up 5 if someone throws a blackjack at you. 2 Blackjacks =10. You can deflect it with a red Jack though and send back to the person who threw it at you and they can return the favour with another red or a black.

Ace - choose any suit

10 - change direction - 2 tens mean you get to have another go and when it gets down to just 2 people playing, every 10 means another go for the person throwing them.

8 - next person misses a go. This can add up to missing up to 4 goes if all 8's are played.

2- pick up 2, again can be in multiples.

You can throw as many of the same number as you want in a go - i.e. I could throw three 4s out as long as my first 4 is the same suit as the card before or the suit announced by an ace thrower before me.

When you are down to your last card, pair, trips, quads, you must announce it before the next person plays or you pick up a card. If you make a mistake, you pick up a card, if you can't go, you pick up a card and you can't finish on one of the trick cards so if you do, you must pick one up from the "bun".

First person out is the "Champ" and must run around the room shouting "who's the champ" over and over. Then the game continues until there is a loser who gets "scrabbed".

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Poker is still played
    Upcoming local events are the Irish Open on 27th March (€500k), Partypoker Millions 30th March (£6 million); Norwegian Championships (56 events) 31st March to 8th April.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ambro25 wrote: »
    We play cribbage regularly, and I play it every now and then for money in a local Working Mens Club (I'm in Yorkshire).

Post-dinner Belote is mandatory whenever we visit family in France.

Although I play both 'with partner' (4 player game), I still prefer Belote to Cribbage, it's more cerebral and tactical (there's more ways to eventually make good out of a random hand).

Have you tried Tarot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Have you tried Tarot?
    I have, in my misspent youth...but never really a fan of giant cards, nor too many of them :D

Another game we play whenever there's a good bunch of us around any (usually dinner) table, is Chase the Ace.

Very simple and great fun for all ages.

Each player is dealt a single card face down, dealer last, leftover stack face down.

Ace is lowest, then standard K>2.

The player can look at their card after being dealt.

If you get dealt a King, you have to turn it up.

If you're dealt anything else, you can either stick with it, or swap it for the card of the person to your left (provided they're not sitting on a King, in which case...you're stuck :D). The person to your left cannot refuse the swap (again, unless it's a King, which can't be swapped).

When the last person's turn arrives back at the dealer, the dealer can turn up either-
    • their card (the card they've received from the person to their right if a swap, or their originally-dealt card if no swap) OR
    • the (face down) card at the top of the leftover stack
    The person with the lowest card loses a life (play with tokens or money, 1 stake per life), next person deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

That's because bars realised people were there for the poker and not the drink.... It's actually an outrage though we used to have a great pub poker scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

diomed wrote: »
    Poker is still played
    Upcoming local events are the Irish Open on 27th March (€500k), Partypoker Millions 30th March (£6 million); Norwegian Championships (56 events) 31st March to 8th April.

To be fair your average local rounder isn't gonna pony up the 500 quid plus buyins to be throttled in the first level by some Scandinavian maniac

Advertisement