Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would you stop time for?

Options
  • 20-09-2019 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

As a kid I always had a fantasy about being able to pause time. I think there was a movie out along those lines too?

Anyways, imagine the following: you can pause everything for a set period of time. Only you can move during it, you can move other people and take stuff and drive etc. When things resume you'll have aged but everyone else will think a millisecond has gone by.

So how long do you pause for of the given options, and what do you do?

I'd go for ten days and probably hoover up as much cash and goods as I could. Not from ordinary people but businesses and the like. Probably dish out a bit of vengence too.

How long would you stop time for? 26 votes

10 minutes
    73% 19 votes
    10 hours
    0% 0 votes
    10 days
    3% 1 vote
    10 months
    19% 5 votes
    10 years
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Your Face wrote: »
    Forever.

That is an interesting one. Never considered that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't the Futurama finalé go like that? Fry and Leela live out a lifetime together while the rest of time stands still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

10 years, but I'd start it back in June before Dad died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There was a Twilight Zone episode with that as the plot device in the 80's - I saw it when I was a kid and the ending really had an impact on me - I guess because the threat of impending nuclear war felt quite real back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Peace_and_Quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

4 minutes that way sex would last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

It would depend.

Would you be able to interact with things as normal despite the stoppage?
    Would you be able to have anyone you choose to interact with unfrozen from the stoppage and everyone else stay still?
    What would happen if you died while you stopped time, would it stay stopped forever?
    Would it affect the space/time continuum?

As a topic related aside, if you kill time, does it damage eternity?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm going for 10 months. It's a lot of time to spend alone but I'm good in my own company and could probably hoover up a small fortune in a reasonably untraceable way (e.g. taking 10 or 20 euros from lots of different cash registers rather than emptying an entire super-market worth of them). Would finally be able to get all the DIY on my list finished too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ten years older with no one else having aged? Why?? :confused:

Are you ogling your neighbours' teenage daughter over the fence, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ten years older with no one else having aged? Why?? :confused:

Are you ogling your neighbours' teenage daughter over the fence, OP?

I opted for 10 days!
    There was a Twilight Zone episode with that as the plot device in the 80's - I saw it when I was a kid and the ending really had an impact on me - I guess because the threat of impending nuclear war felt quite real back then.

That sounds great. I loved the 80s series of TZ. Gonna line that one up over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

10 years while you're at Electric Picnic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Would be a little pointless if everything was stopped no? Unless you wanted to play or something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd go for ten days and probably hoover up as much cash and goods as I could. Not from ordinary people but businesses and the like. Probably dish out a bit of vengence too.

What would you do with the cash? Can't go buying a mansion in cash like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Weepsie wrote: »
    Would be a little pointless if everything was stopped no? Unless you wanted to play or something
    I'm looking at it like groundhog day. Everyday for 10 years is a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

irish_goat wrote: »
    What would you do with the cash? Can't go buying a mansion in cash like.
    Take building materials as well as cash. Hire tradesmen to do the work cash in hand on a labour only arrangement. Turn your current home into a mansion for "free". If space is an issue, do it to the point where it's the most valuable house on the road, sell it, and buy a bigger fixer upper where you can use the rest of your ill-gotten cash and materials to do that up to the mansion you really want. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Hiro Nakamura!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There was a Twilight Zone episode with that as the plot device in the 80's - I saw it when I was a kid and the ending really had an impact on me - I guess because the threat of impending nuclear war felt quite real back then

That episode had a real impact on me too - probably the only TZ episode I can remember now.

To answer the OPs question, I’d stop time, jump, then start time again while I was in mid air for just a split second. Then stop it again before I fell to the ground. I’d kept doing this repeatedly in succession for hours, giving everyone else the impression I was hovering in mid air. Like a human stop-motion animation. Freak the fückers out.

That's called crystal meth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have also thought of this before and when Sky+came out and first and getting used to being able to pass and rewind T.V I used to try do it in real life to sometimes lol but it never worked unfortunately. Do not do it now. Instead I enjoy being out in the real world and not glued to a phone or laptop like million,s of drones these days.

I opted for 10 days. Any more would start to get lonely and boring. Sure you could do loads in 10 days. I could do a year either that would not be that long if you keep yourself busy and do not go mad lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

First I would rewind time to 2009 and stop it there. Forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

28th February 2017. If I could go back there and change the decision I made I wouldn’t have ruined my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'd go back to 2009 and stop myself from developing eye floaters when I first came to Ireland as an 11yr old so they wouldn't impede on my ability to study in school.

Start investing in bitcoin and then go and re-enjoy my life fully with crystal clear vision in 2013, quite frankly the best year of my life. Sting, watching CNN, captivating adverts on TV, beautiful women smiling at me and saying hello :D.

I'd also get 10a's in my junior cert during 2013 and beat that Jew, Tommy who got all the glory.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Cork Lass wrote: »
    28th February 2017. If I could go back there and change the decision I made I wouldn’t have ruined my life.

Backstory?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you stopped time, how would you measure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That episode had a real impact on me too - probably the only TZ episode I can remember now.

To answer the OPs question, I’d stop time, jump, then start time again while I was in mid air for just a split second. Then stop it again before I fell to the ground. I’d kept doing this repeatedly in succession for hours, giving everyone else the impression I was hovering in mid air. Like a human stop-motion animation. Freak the fückers out.

That's odd , I was a fan of the Twilight zone and that's the only episode I can remember in detail.

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I was only talking about this episode the other day trying to explain it to someone who was born in the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was only talking about this episode the other day trying to explain it to someone who was born in the 90's

Maybe , just maybe one of us has stopped time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Maybe , just maybe one of us has stopped time.

This pint does seem to be lasting longer than usual :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything... 80s TV movie...
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0080792/

Have a hazy memory of seeing it on RTE.

I would freeze it for the longest time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Backstory?

Surgery that wasn’t successful - thought I was in prime position to have this done but it’s completely and utterly ruined my life. Went from being fit and healthy to being unable to even walk properly. I’d give anything to go back.

Advertisement