Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah, poor RTE is playing we have no money.....

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

zeebre12 wrote: »
    What is Lottie Ryan on?

At times one would think crack....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭rightmove

What is Lottie Ryan on?

Daddy's coat tail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There was a competition on the Late Late show last night for a trip to New York, and the video promo for the competition had Tubridy at Dublin airport flying to New York just to stand outside a hotel and say you could stay here. They did the same with Marty Morrissey a couple of week ago during a GAA match. What a fierce waste of money, and no doubt they flew business class. Surely there's a green screen in Montrose that could have been used instead.

They did likewise with yer man Carter (the fella that won Dancing With the Stars) to advertise a completion to win a trip to Orlando. Why did they have to send him out there and show him on water slides and strolling around a theme park? It amounted to 20-30 seconds of footage. Completely pointless. An expenses paid trip is enough of a draw in itself to get people to enter, you really don't need to waste money sending some fella out there to advertise it.

The main problem at RTE is that they do not know how to use the money they have. If they get more funding, they will end up wasting that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What is Lottie Ryan on?

A free ride from RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What is Lottie Ryan on?
    Certainly not what the father was on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Giving the top earners are hair cut in salary won't put a dent in the losses of €16m. Its obvious the whole thing needs to be restructured or just closed if it can't balance the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The licence fee is basically a political 'choke-chain' used by the Government to keep the state broadcaster in order.

RTE needs to be sold off, ASAP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I haven't owned a telly in a few years and every year(got it again this very morn) I get the "an inspector called" missive from An Post looking for payment for a licence and every year I have to sign a declaration that I don't have a TV. If I sold my car and took to a bike or shank's mare I'd not have the motor tax office hounding me for declarations that I was carless.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

I sat and watched Dermot Bannon "Room to Improve" last night.

He goes into a house, preaches open plan, goes over budget. Programme over.

Real entertainment. I used to have faith in RTE when they made Love Hate and other such programmes but nothing of worth for years.

Tubridy, Joe Duffy paid far far too much. Junior staff in RTE paid way to little. They also have many many contractors.

I resent paying €160 to watch bloody Dermot Bannon, repeat films and Late Late show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Pikey wrote: »
    I sat and watched Dermot Bannon "Room to Improve" last night.

He goes into a house, preaches open plan, goes over budget. Programme over.

Real entertainment. I used to have faith in RTE when they made Love Hate and other such programmes but nothing of worth for years.

Tubridy, Joe Duffy paid far far too much. Junior staff in RTE paid way to little. They also have many many contractors.

I resent paying €160 to watch bloody Dermot Bannon, repeat films and Late Late show.

Did he put in large windows and paint everything white?

Bet he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who the hell wants all open plan it's terrible as in many rooms become one and you have no space to retreat to.

So stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I like to listen or watch on the rte News "Morning Ireland" what do the presenters do when they are not presenting the show do they still come in to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

rob316 wrote: »
    Giving the top earners are hair cut in salary won't put a dent in the losses of €16m. Its obvious the whole thing needs to be restructured or just closed if it can't balance the books.

the land is worth serious money and would clear all debts

that should be the start of the cull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

the land is worth serious money and would clear all debts

that should be the start of the cull

I disagree here ... since RTÉ belongs to the government of Ireland, the land collectively belongs to irish citizens and taxpayers. Selling that asset to keep the show going for another while would in effect be the same as a massive injection of public funds into RTÉ (an asset which belongs to the public and could be used for something else would be sold and gone forever, and the proceedings would be handed to RTÉ’s management).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Bob24 wrote: »
    I disagree here ... since RTÉ belongs to the government of Ireland, the land collectively belongs to irish citizens and taxpayers. Selling that asset to keep the show going for another would in effect be the same as a massive injection of public funds into RTÉ (an asset which belongs to the public and could be used for something else would be sold and gone forever, and the proceedings would be handed to RTɒs management).

Very much agree here, same thing with transport, health etc, it's the one-off (lol) top ups (of one form or another) that plug the holes of the sinking ship for a while that have caused/increased the current problems.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

kneemos wrote: »
    Did he put in large windows and paint everything white?

Bet he did.

How did you guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

So in the South, there's no way around avoiding the TV Licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

So in the South, there's no way around avoiding the TV Licence?

In Cork ? Of course not, they are still part of Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Who the hell wants all open plan it's terrible as in many rooms become one and you have no space to retreat to.

So stupid
    and farts travel... The whole open plan things is often about how it looks on camera. The average semidee looks constrained and tight on camera. It's also great in hotter climates, but in Ireland it costs way more to heat. But your designer luvvies have the horn for it. That and talking about "spaces" and "light". If anyone comes into your gaff discussing how you should use the space, kick them in the crotch, repeatedly and with vigour. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement