Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah, poor RTE is playing we have no money.....

Options
  • 12-09-2019 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭

Prime time doing an investigation into how rte themselves have no money....

They have 3 people watching clips and are asked should we be forced to pay...... Guess the answer yes yes we should be forced....

RTE are a shocking set up and squander a fortune....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

No more land to sell, know plenty that work or worked there....insane gravy and some poor work attitudes.....just from my experience others will of course have seen things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

work wrote: »
    No more land to sell, know plenty that work or worked there....insane gravy and some poor work attitudes.....just from my experience others will of course have seen things differently.

I hate this idea they have to sell off public owned land.... It makes no economic sense and it's a one off. They can't do it again next year or in years to come.

Done work experience there and it was an absolute tip with those walking around thinking the sun shone out of their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could they start selling sponsorship slots on their newscasters clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Beyond parody - they shove 3 people in a manky room and pretend it's not some disused edit suite by shoving cushions on a shelf, then finish the slot by listing all the woes they have suffered in a propaganda video, then back to studio where we're told no representative of RTE was willing to come on to be grilled...but they did issue a statement. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think RTE has become totally irrelevant. Sticking to old formulas for running itself, over paying, under delivering and has a public sector mentality.
    I don’t use Rte as my go-to for anything current affairs related. I don’t know what the hell they are supposed to cover under public service broadcasting, but I bet virgin could cover it at a fraction of the cost. Time to radically re-think why you exist at all RTE and then, when they can answer that they can maybe start to make the decisions needed to bring their books back in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

They should stop paying the likes of Marian Finucane, Joe Duffy, Ryan Tubridy, Ray Darcy etc. astronomical wages. What do they do that is so important to justify their wages? Their jobs certainly don't warrant their salaries and the same applies to everyone else who works in RTE. Sort that out and then maybe that would be a start towards RTE saving money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Why don't they just privatise it? Powers that be nearly fell over themselves to get rid of profit making state and semi-state companies before, you'd swear there was a vested interest in having a propaganda outlet on tv, radio and internet 24/7...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The salary demands of some presenters needs to be looked at. It's mainly the timeslot that brings in the viewers/listeners and most people will get used to a new face/voice hosting the show pretty quickly. There is no way Tubbs is worth 400,000 euro a year. Nor is Joe Duffy worth 300,000 euro. It's time for the taxpayer funded gravy train that is Montrose to come into the real world. Before they go looking for money from Joe and Jane Public, they need to start getting their own ship in order.

Their current affairs output is very good, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rte has lots of money.

They're just wasting it away, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Rte has lots of money.

They're just wasting it away, that's all.

Like the HSE really....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Prime time doing an investigation into how rte themselves have no money....

They have 3 people watching clips and are asked should we be forced to pay...... Guess the answer yes yes we should be forced....

RTE are a shocking set up and squander a fortune....

Broadcasting charge does exactly that, doesn't it; or am I missing something?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I could fix the budget shortfall in no time.

first, cut the outrageous salaries.

next, Legalize cannabis and include an 'entertainment tax' in the pricing. Also, to get the card you need to buy the herb you must have a valid TV license and renew it every year.

the government obviously think that the only way to get people to pay for rte is to attach the fee to other things people want to buy like laptops, phones TVs so it's basically the same idea, just without this farce of those items being charged because they can receive a signal or watch rte player. and its actually more fair. a laptop or phone is basically a necessity in this day and age and people shouldn't be punished for having them by a tax for rte. put the tax on something that people choose to buy but that they don't need and no one will feel taken advantage of.

and if the whole country is stoned no one will care what's on rte it will instantly become more watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

screamer wrote: »
    Like the HSE really....

Not saying the HSE can’t improve, but it is delivering a service to the public which pretty much no one would accept to live without. The same thing can’t be said about RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wonder did Miriam feel any shame when the piece finished and it came back to her to finish the show?

I'd say not. She probably thinks she isn't being paid enough, what with being one of the nation's darlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

They should stop paying the likes of Marian Finucane, Joe Duffy, Ryan Tubridy, Ray Darcy etc. astronomical wages. What do they do that is so important to justify their wages? Their jobs certainly don't warrant their salaries and the same applies to everyone else who works in RTE. Sort that out and then maybe that would be a start towards RTE saving money.

Pat Kenny spoke about this some time ago. He said the presenters wages were but a drop in the ocean compared to waste on so many other staff. Researchers by the dozen for each show, far more than required.

Cameramen carry on is the one that stuck in my mind. Camera operator is on premium but the guy holding the cables beside the camera was union mandated to also be a camera operator and paid the same. Twice the cost immediately compared to others.

Abuse of free taxis (at cost to rte) for any old excuse never went away. On a story/buisness fair enough but it was being used for going to and from work for every tom dick and Harry.

Staff are never off the books. Remember when they were asked a few years ago to State the number of staff and they couldn't put a number on it.

I would defend the need for a news service but in the last few years it is just a propaganda piece for the state. There is no critique and I think it is a fear that they won't get anyone to interview if they break rank. The BBC is not much better in that regard but neither stoop as low as Fox news in the US. Paying top wages to read stuff out loud should not be a requirement.

We still need to pay for good news service and everytime rte comes under attack, they put the importance of this as an example of why we should pay more.

Separate news from the rest of Rte, we should pay for news but make the rest of the rubbish pay it's way on commercial income. And that includes staff and presenters wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wonder did Miriam feel any shame when the piece finished and it came back to her to finish the show?

I'd say not. She probably thinks she isn't being paid enough, what with being one of the nation's darlings.

She needs a few bob to feed them kids she keeps knocking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Why don't they just privatise it? Powers that be nearly fell over themselves to get rid of profit making state and semi-state companies before, you'd swear there was a vested interest in having a propaganda outlet on tv, radio and internet 24/7...

There's truth in what you say (e.g., the National Lottery, which was functioning fine when in fully public ownership and was only sold because the public finances were so dire a few years' back), but even though I rarely watch RTE, be careful what you wish for. Do you really want our national broadcasting service in the hands of someone like Rupert Murdoch?

They could shine a torch up their entitled arseholes.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    There's truth in what you say (e.g., the National Lottery, which was functioning fine when in fully public ownership and was only sold because the public finances were so dire a few years' back), but even though I rarely watch RTE, be careful what you wish for. Do you really want our national broadcasting service in the hands of someone like Rupert Murdoch?

I'd be more worried about Denny O'Brien

Telecom eireann, ESB sort of, aerlingus, CIE some of and more to go, Luas to a French company to manage, Irish water another mess, I'm sure I am missing some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Nationwide, ear to the ground, reeling in the year, the odd cooking program,
    The odd prime time special and occasional there’s a decent late late.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Forget it, they will just increase the license fee. That's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Forget it, they will just increase the license fee. That's easy.

They have to wait for 20 years to increase it. That will be in 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

RTE will go to the wall and not be missed, hardly anyone watches it anyway, bar a few elderly people. Loads of higher quality alternatives available, this organization is a money squandering closed shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It’s very important we don’t lose our national consciousness in a world of American dominated media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Telecom eireann, ESB sort of, aerlingus, CIE some of and more to go, Luas to a French company to manage, Irish water another mess, I'm sure I am missing some.

NCT has been run by an English company for the last ten years, That contract is up this year. From 1999 to 2009 it was a former hotel owner in Kilkenny and mate of Bertie's that won the tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

I hate this idea they have to sell off public owned land.... It makes no economic sense and it's a one off. They can't do it again next year or in years to come.

Done work experience there and it was an absolute tip with those walking around thinking the sun shone out of their holes.

Same, did work experience there. Craziness and they had a cushy canteen!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How very dare you all criticize RTE for poor mouthing and rattling the begging bowl. :mad:

In this age of rabid privatisation, we need to hold on to State agencies that are characterized by D-list “celebs”, is hyper-unionized, grossly over-staffed, with over paid presenters who have a sense of entitlement the size of the planet Jupiter...

...said no-one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

mzungu wrote: »
    The salary demands of some presenters needs to be looked at. It's mainly the timeslot that brings in the viewers/listeners and most people will get used to a new face/voice hosting the show pretty quickly. There is no way Tubbs is worth 400,000 euro a year. Nor is Joe Duffy worth 300,000 euro. It's time for the taxpayer funded gravy train that is Montrose to come into the real world. Before they go looking for money from Joe and Jane Public, they need to start getting their own ship in order.

Their current affairs output is very good, though.

He's not worth €300,000, he's worth near €400,00 at the last release of RTE wages. Of course these numbers are 3 years old as we cannot find out what they are really being paid this year for 'commercial reasons'.

Pile of bollocks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/ryan-tubridy-highest-paid-at-rt%C3%A9-as-top-10-presenters-receive-more-than-3m-1.3729014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It’s very important we don’t lose our national consciousness in a world of American dominated media.

Couldn't agree more.

So scrap the reality/import show dominated RTE, halve the licence fee, throw it all at TG4 who actually manage to come up with original programming and put an indigenous twist on imports.

Everyone's a winner.

Advertisement