Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone in difficulty with mortgage payments tried renegotiating their mortgage?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there, who is finding it difficult to keep up with payments has contacted the bank, and what has been the attitude of the bank?

I'm not looking for advice, I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to come to a deal with the bank to make their repayments more manageable? If you have managed to renegotiate by what means did they do it? Did they make the mortgage longer? Did they fix the repayments at a certain level?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you only have to read any newspaper article onthe sunject to see the numbers of people who have "restructured" their mortgages are significant.

were talking tens of thousands of people that have done it succesfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

D3PO wrote: »
    you only have to read any newspaper article onthe sunject to see the numbers of people who have "restructured" their mortgages are significant.

were talking tens of thousands of people that have done it succesfully.

Great - well even that gives me a bit of relief.

Would love to hear the practicalities of what people actually agreed with the banks. Obviously some folk mightn't want to "go public" but if you'd like to share or if you have a "friend" ;) who'd like to share then it would be good to hear from you.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

phormium wrote: »

Thanks for that - seems to be much less people than I would have thought availing of this.

It seems mostly anecdotal evidence suggesting that people are doing deals with banks rather than hard fast evidence, am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

About 60,000 people have entered into restructuring arrangements with their banks, in addition to some 45,000 who are already in arrears of 90+ days. Whether one considers the latter group as having "renegotiated" their mortgages is, I suppose, debatable. One must also consider a third category, which is those in arrears of less than 90 days, who are not recorded in the above figures. Again, some percentage of those will be in negotiations with their banks, some will be planning on defaulting etc.

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0301/1224291080545.html

• Advertisement

About 60,000 people have entered into restructuring arrangements with their banks, in addition to some 45,000 who are already in arrears of 90+ days. Whether one considers the latter group as having "renegotiated" their mortgages is, I suppose, debatable. One must also consider a third category, which is those in arrears of less than 90 days, who are not recorded in the above figures. Again, some percentage of those will be in negotiations with their banks, some will be planning on defaulting etc.

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0301/1224291080545.html

That's a lot of people alright but would like to actually hear from someone who has done it.

Advertisement