Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling your parents ma'am/sir

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

screamer wrote: »
    My pet hate is kids calling their parents by their first name, so disrespectful

Not at all. Myself and my siblings have always called out parents by their names because they always called each other by their names so we just picked it up from them which is what they wanted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I never call my parents even by mum/dad as we just speak. They call me "Fegelien" but when I talk to them, I just talk to them.

I wonder if this is the same with anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I never call my parents even by mum/dad as we just speak. They call me "Fegelien" but when I talk to them, I just talk to them.

How do you refer to one while talking to the other? You have to call them something. How do you greet them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What if you were speaking to your dad and said” can you ask ..... to call me or text me etc “ What would you say ?
    Or if they were in the garden and you called them in for a cuppa ? At some stage you would be using a name

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What if you were speaking to your dad and said” can you ask ..... to call me or text me etc “ What would you say ?
    Or if they were in the garden and you called them in for a cuppa ? At some stage you would be using a name

I say mum and dad in that context but we really don't greet each other with "Good morning mum" just good morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Not at all. Myself and my siblings have always called out parents by their names because they always called each other by their names so we just picked it up from them which is what they wanted.
    Someone I know tried this with their kids as they'd done that. It lasted all of two days of school and then it was Mammy and Daddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I say mum and dad in that context.

That's more or less what most here were saying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Nothing more cringey than mam or 'me ma' usually long drawn out like 'hey maaaaaaaaaaaaa'

A friend of mine called his mother “mammy” well into his late teens, probably still does.

He got an unmerciful “slagging” over it. Among other things.

I know a 40 year old who still calls her parents mammy and daddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think it’s just weird and never understood people who do it.

Even into my 30’s I’d never even consider calling my parents their first names even when talking to orther people about them (the exception being someone who wouldn’t know who I was talking about if I said “mam” or “dad”).

Any Irish person saying “mum” instead of “mam” should be beaten with a red hot iron bar.

What a bizarre overreaction. Many people in this country have one British parent. My friend lives in Wales and her children call her Mammy. Maybe people should beat her children for not calling her ‘mummy’?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The oul lad/fella and oul wan/doll.

Or ma and da.

De mudder is common too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

is_that_so wrote: »
    Someone I know tried this with their kids as they'd done that. It lasted all of two days of school and then it was Mammy and Daddy!

Funny how that works out, there's obviously no right or wrong way. Personally for me I feel it brought us closer to our parents but I've had discussions before about some people feel calling their parents mum and dad does the same. Each to their. Ma'am and Sir though is very odd and authoritative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The oul lad/fella and oul wan/doll.

Or ma and da.

De mudder is common too.

No room for “mater”, no?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A friend of mine called his mother “mammy” well into his late teens, probably still does.

He got an unmerciful “slagging” over it. Among other things.

That’s nothing. My boss who is probably around 56/57yrs old, married with grown up children still refers to his mother as ‘mammy’ anytime he speaks about her. I find it a little strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No room for “mater”, no?

Mother dearest is about as posh as I get.

She knows who she is, what I call her is irrelevant, as long as I call her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Is this exclusively American? I was watching a YouTube episode of The World's Strictest Parents and in some, they made the teens call them ma'am/sir.

I think though they just did that cause they weren't their parents and just other adults and wanted them to show respect. Surely they don't make their kids call them ma'am/sir. That's just weird. But maybe not according to some.

Have you ever heard that here?

Was a guest at a family wedding in America a few years ago. Was warned that the father of the bride wanted to be called Sir or Mr McNamara. The groom (my Cousin) had only been given permission to call him Tom after formally asking for and getting permission to marry his daughter.

I thought **** that. So I just called him Tom all week.

Everyone gets equal respect. Anything above that has to be earned. As a general rule if you have to demand it, expecially from your friends and family, then you don't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Any Irish person saying “mum” instead of “mam” should be beaten with a red hot iron bar.

I always thought Mam was too formal, short for madam, like talking to royalty. Mom makes more sense IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm 64 and I address my mother as "Mam", the Irish version (or Yorkshire) not the American "ma'am". No one slags me for it.

Mam is just short for mammy. It's a term of endearment.

Ma'am, is an abbreviated form of Madam. It's something you address to a superior officer, as if your in the army.

Any **** that make their kids address them as Ma'am or Sir need a serious slap across the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Military culture.

Idiot culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I use the bog standard Mam/Dad but I always found it weird that my nieces mother (not my sister) refers to herself as mother.Like she'd sign a card to her child " Love, Mother".

Always makes me think of some cold victorian woman.

Advertisement