Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Work after Toothache

Options
  • 18-03-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

Firstly, I have not been to the dentist in 6 years. I got a toothache on Monday and got an appointment with the dentist to get it looked at Monday evening.

The dentist told me I had an infection and prescribed me a course of antibiotics. They took multiple X-rays including a panoramic X-ray and told me to contact them this morning to see what work I needed to get done.

This was the first time I was ever with this particular dentist. After calling back this morning they told me that I had 4 impacted and twisted wisdom teeth that I need removed, a previous filling that I got needed an X-ray and possible root canal treatment, 10 fillings and finally a scale and polish.

My teeth never give me any trouble, I floss regularly and brush my teeth twice a day. Does this sound like an excessive amount of work? Would you recommend that I get a second opinion?

The fact that I haven't been to the dentist in 6 years I don't mind if I do have to get all this done, I just don't want to be taken for a ride, and with the COVID-19 crisis and practices maybe having to close, are they trying to make a quick dollar from me?

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

dubladdie wrote: »
    Hi all,

Firstly, I have not been to the dentist in 6 years. I got a toothache on Monday and got an appointment with the dentist to get it looked at Monday evening.

The dentist told me I had an infection and prescribed me a course of antibiotics. They took multiple X-rays including a panoramic X-ray and told me to contact them this morning to see what work I needed to get done.

This was the first time I was ever with this particular dentist. After calling back this morning they told me that I had 4 impacted and twisted wisdom teeth that I need removed, a previous filling that I got needed an X-ray and possible root canal treatment, 10 fillings and finally a scale and polish.

My teeth never give me any trouble, I floss regularly and brush my teeth twice a day. Does this sound like an excessive amount of work? Would you recommend that I get a second opinion?

The fact that I haven't been to the dentist in 6 years I don't mind if I do have to get all this done, I just don't want to be taken for a ride, and with the COVID-19 crisis and practices maybe having to close, are they trying to make a quick dollar from me?

Many Thanks in advance.

Dentist are too busy to need to do the overtreatment you suggest may be happening.
    Why overtreat one patient when there is tons of real treatment needing to be done....
    You are being paranoid
    You likely need that work
    You should get a second opinion but in the current climate will find that hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thats is a lot of dental work that is needed, it sound like you were not at a dentist in years, so thats not uncommon. Some dentists threshold for treatment versus monitoring is different but that amount of treatment need would not be unusual.

If you dont trust the dentist leave them alone to treat more willing patients and find one you do trust, there are lots of dentists around, and I am sure they will be clamoring to snag a patient like you that turns up in pain once every 6 years and then gives out they need dental work. The last thing on dentists mind right now, as they shut their practices and have to treat people in pain 6 inches from their mouth, is nickel and diming you, and that is a shameful slur at this time of social unity.

I hope you dont get a toothache during the shutdown. When you say your teeth never gave you trouble, are you forgetting your toothache on monday????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

I'm highly offended& disappointed by this post.
    "Taken for a ride"?
    "Make a quick dollar"?
    You are aware that there is a pandemic on.
    The New York Times has flagged dentistry as being the highest risk profession, way above nurses& doctors.
    This dentist has literally risked their life to see&treat you in this climate.
    The profession has been advised to avoid all non urgent treatment that will create an aerosol (using drills), as well as minimising social interaction. Assuming they value their own health, this dentist has ZERO incentive to lie about that quantity of treatment

That doesn't mean you shouldn't seek a second opinion. You have to trust whoever treats you.

Advertisement