Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little embarrassed about posting this, new to flossing

Options
  • 19-11-2019 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all
    As the title says, a bit embarrassed posting here, because I remember posting here years ago about something.... And saying at the time I didn't floss :eek:
    I have very recently, started to floss, and am consistently doing it most days. I know it is helping, or presume it is anyway, because my mouth feels way better. My question is, how long should it take to floss? Or is it just as long as it takes? also, I'm using floss picks, because I find traditional floss difficult, will this do as good a job?
    Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Hi Afterglow,
    With flossing there’s no time frame. It’s just however long it takes to get around all your teeth thoroughly. It may take a long time at the start and as you fine tune your technique you’ll get faster. Traditional floss has more flexibility so it can wrap around your teeth more, the floss sticks are more rigid but if you can’t get the hang of traditional floss it’s better to use something you can manage quite well rather than to use floss poorly. Interdental brushes, if they fit, are a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I use the interdental brushes myself. Lots of sizes and preferred by my dentist. Can be little a bit sore sometimes but the gums are tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Waterflosser FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone got any good sources for corn starch or other biodegradeable floss picks, the right angle design to reach back teeth?

I've no idea how anyone uses the other design tbh. I can't get at the back teeth with a standard flosser.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Not sure about the corn starch or biodegradable aspect, but
    - Oral B Glide flossettes
    -GumChucks
    Both have nifty angles/designs to facilitate access.

Daily use should minimise the likelihood of
    gum disease& decay. It's more important than ever during a pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dianthus wrote: »
    Not sure about the corn starch or biodegradable aspect, but
    - Oral B Glide flossettes
    -GumChucks
    Both have nifty angles/designs to facilitate access.

Daily use should minimise the likelihood of
    gum disease& decay. It's more important than ever during a pandemic

Thanks, those Oral B ones look interesting.

I normally get Dentek back teeth flossers, like these.

https://www.mccabespharmacy.com/dentek-complete-clean-75.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm-buv5HM6AIVwbHtCh3XmQknEAQYASABEgLiIvD_BwE

I was getting them from the UK through eBay, though that price from McCabes looks decent. They are not always on the shelf in the shops.

But it really bugs me to be adding one more bit of plastic to landfill every day. That's why I was looking for corn starch - but they all seem to be the traditional in-line design, rather than the perpendicular design.

Advertisement