Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child major Dental problems

Options
  • 24-02-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

So our 5 year old little lad had a pain in his tooth about 6 months ago. Got him to HSE clinic who told us it needed major work if the tooth was to be saved but that we would need to go private as HSE didnt provide that service and were only for emergency cases . Got a dentist we new to have a look as found it quite difficult to get a pediatric dentist at short notice. Turns out she reckoned it would be nearly 2k to save it or just get it removed. As it was a baby tooth we decided to have it removed . Our dentist looked at rest of teeth and told us we needed to get him in with paediatric dentist as there where a lot of issues with a other teeth. Turns out his teeth are very weak and get damaged very easy.

So today we had him at **cannot name clinics** dental clinic. The dentist did proper analysis turns out he needs a lot of work including extractions fillings and caps, the total cost of the work is close to 5 thousand euro. We do not have private health insurance and both have normal jobs, we were told if he was in second class in school they get free dental care. We were completely knocked back with the cost. The work cannot begin until you pay up front, saying that He is not in any pain at the moment so the work is not needed immediately. Are there any other ways i can get this a cheaper or even on a payment plan , should i seek a second opinion can i claim back tax on cost . We really want this sorted with as little stress as possible for our son but also a good outcome for his future smile :D:D
    A bit long winded but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

What is the exact breakdown on the £5k? Were you given a written estimate with everything detailed?
    Do the teeth have a specific named& diagnosed condition, or were you just told they were weak/prone to decay/reason unknown? Will the adult teeth be similarly affected?
    The HSE generally covers treatment of pain, & extractions. Root canal treatments & stainless steel crowns on baby teeth are not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

You will probably find that a good amount of that €5k is payable to the hermitage and to the anaesthetist for what would likely be a lengthy general anaesthetic. Both of those parties would want to be paid up front as they will likely have no further dealings with you after treatment. So any partial payment simply means not paying the paediatric dentist for ages so that won't sit well with him/her.
    Have you considered a loan?
    I sympathize with the bill you are facing and see that you want the best.... In my experience the HSE are very limited and what treatment you get will be emergency care, extractions and they will do little to maintain any bad baby teeth.....
    dekbhoy wrote: »
    So our 5 year old little lad had a pain in his tooth about 6 months ago. Got him to HSE clinic who told us it needed major work if the tooth was to be saved but that we would need to go private as HSE didnt provide that service and were only for emergency cases . Got a dentist we new to have a look as found it quite difficult to get a pediatric dentist at short notice. Turns out she reckoned it would be nearly 2k to save it or just get it removed. As it was a baby tooth we decided to have it removed . Our dentist looked at rest of teeth and told us we needed to get him in with paediatric dentist as there where a lot of issues with a other teeth. Turns out his teeth are very weak and get damaged very easy.

So today we had him at **cannot name clinics** dental clinic. The dentist did proper analysis turns out he needs a lot of work including extractions fillings and caps, the total cost of the work is close to 5 thousand euro. We do not have private health insurance and both have normal jobs, we were told if he was in second class in school they get free dental care. We were completely knocked back with the cost. The work cannot begin until you pay up front, saying that He is not in any pain at the moment so the work is not needed immediately. Are there any other ways i can get this a cheaper or even on a payment plan , should i seek a second opinion can i claim back tax on cost . We really want this sorted with as little stress as possible for our son but also a good outcome for his future smile :D:D
    A bit long winded but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Dianthus wrote: »
    What is the exact breakdown on the £5k? Were you given a written estimate with everything detailed?
    Do the teeth have a specific named& diagnosed condition, or were you just told they were weak/prone to decay/reason unknown? Will the adult teeth be similarly affected?
    The HSE generally covers treatment of pain, & extractions. Root canal treatments & stainless steel crowns on baby teeth are not covered.

Yes got detailed cost . The two stand out amounts was €500 for anaesthist and €1000 for bed , rest for eg. €350 per extraction, €200 per metal cap/fillings. totalling close to €5000.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

If the majority of the 20 baby teeth require extraction/crown/filling, it really is a full mouth rehabilitation so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

If you get VHI dental that will kick in after a year. I think a certain percentage of costs are covered sooner though.

Can also claim back a certain percentage on tax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement