Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 31-05-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi folks finished my evening jog and found this lad in the middle of the road outside my house , seems in good condition wings feet etc , he clung well on the the finger, no chirping out of him ....anyway I put him back outside near where I found him a bit safer ...but he hasn't moved position in the last few hours ...heads tucked under the wing having a snooze ....have I done the right thing ? The area he was found the nest would be unreachable high up ....or should I make a shoebox bed and keep the thing indoors

Cheers vego

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Sorry pic attached

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's quite late for birds to be out and about, he's probably gone to sleep if he's tucked his head under his wing. They wouldn't be chirping, either, when they've been "caught". Did you put him on a branch, or somewhere high enough?

I'd say it's a fledgling, his parents were probably not far from him. Personally, if he's in danger where he is, I'd keep him in a box until just before dawn and then release him again where you found him (not in the middle of the road), that way his parents would find him again.

Having said all that, I'm sure someone with way more experience will give you better advice shortly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How did it go?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Putting it back where you found it was the right move - hopefully the parents will have found it this morning. Letting it reunite with the parents gives it the highest chance of survival.

Unfortunately a lot of people pick up a bird like this, put it in a box and bring it home a few km away, have a think about it for a while and then start appealing for advice etc, at which point the bird is probably hungry and stressed.

The best thing to do, unless the bird definitely has something broken, is to put it in a hedge or tree and leave it be - you can always look for advice then and go back if needed. (Only exception is if bird isn't feathered - get it back in nest is priority then, and otherwise you might have to take it with you).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Thanks folks checked the spot first thing this morning and the little guy has gone .... hopefully for the positive

• Advertisement
Advertisement