Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing individual panels in a hardwood floor

• 30-05-2020 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

So I have a beautiful hardwood herringbone floor in my front room that has recently been damaged in two locations (bleach stains). The stains are quite obvious so the panels need to replaced. Just wondering how easy this is to do? Certainly won’t attempt it myself but just wondered if anyone else has had to do it and how it turned out? If there is a risk that removing the panels will result in a botched job I won’t do it. Have some spare planks so sourcing correct type/size not an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you mean planks or panels?

The of removing either depends on how they are fixed to the substrate and joined to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you mean planks or panels?

The of removing either depends on how they are fixed to the substrate and joined to each other

They are 1n length planks, tongue and groove. Not sure how they are fixed to the substrate. The stains are quiet obvious so they will have to come up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Could the damaged planks be sanded and refinished, do you have pictures of the floor

Could the damaged planks be sanded and refinished, do you have pictures of the floor

Possibly? Not sure how deep the stain is, would rather do this than replace the planks if the result is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Agree with the refinish option.The stain is most likely in the existing finish and not gotten into the timber yet.
    Herringbone slats are difficult to remove and the t&g's have to be compromised to fit replacements.
    Yes,pics would help!

• Advertisement

0E8B446D-BAF2-49FB-8DB2-B2953D3A94C1.jpegSo ignore my rubbish attempt at uploading a picture (and the paw!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Triboro

Daisy78 wrote: »
    0E8B446D-BAF2-49FB-8DB2-B2953D3A94C1.jpegSo ignore my rubbish attempt at uploading a picture (and the paw!!).

So it seems to be confined to just one slat luckily,It would refinish easily enough.Try it and see how it looks and matches.Worst comes to worst you can have that one slat cut out and replaced.Hopefully you have some left over!

Triboro wrote: »
    So it seems to be confined to just one slat luckily,It would refinish easily enough.Try it and see how it looks and matches.Worst comes to worst you can have that one slat cut out and replaced.Hopefully you have some left over!

Well yes and no, there are two slats elsewhere that also got splashed. And a separate one that has been lightened due to the incorrect cleaning product being used. Sigh. I’ll try the refinishing option, hopefully that will do the job.

I do also have spares, plenty of them but anxious about taking up any of the slats in case the relay isn’t successful.

Advertisement