Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottoiler

Options
  • 23-05-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

lennymc wrote: »
    i ended up going for the standard one over the electric one - finances have taken a battering this month as i bought lots of other stuff that i did and didn't need, and it was less than half the price of the electric one!

The fitting looks simple enough on them - a lot of it is getting the routing of the tubes right. Will take a few pics and see how it goes.

model specific fitting guides at http://kbvps.scottoiler.com/category/model-specific-install-guides/3/
    Think I’ll stick one on my TDM, the V system seems way less fiddly to install and I’m not sure whether the electric ones have that much more to offer, in particular if something goes wrong with them. The stock one comes with a single applicant tube, but there’s a mod that has a dual tube, is it worth the extra stg30? Is the electric one worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

Think I’ll stick one on my TDM, the V system seems way less fiddly to install and I’m not sure whether the electric ones have that much more to offer, in particular if something goes wrong with them. The stock one comes with a single applicant tube, but there’s a mod that has a dual tube, is it worth the extra stg30? Is the electric one worth it?

I’ve a touring Scottoiler (don’t think they make them anymore) on my bike since 2012. Best thing ever. Think I’ve adjusted the chain twice in that time - 30,000 km.
    It’s based on the standard one and works fine. Can’t see what an electric version would add apart from not needing to tap into the manifold for vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I have never had a V but have had the E on the bike for the last 3 years.

To me it's an invaluable yoke. There's 44k km on the bike and it has just had its 3rd set of chain and sprockets ( 1st chain pre oiler was 12k km, 2nd one lasted 31k km with the oiler) .

It handy enough to set up, biggest decision was where to mount the reservoir.

I've had two self inflicted problems with it,all mechanical,nothing electrical.

I meant to add
    The E is very versatile between wet and dry conditions. Drops/min can be slowed or sped up on the move to suit. It gives a warming when it is running low. Fitment is fairly plug and play,no tapping of vacuum hoses,etc and can be removed without a trace if you wanted to sell the bike.

I have never had a V but have had the E on the bike for the last 3 years.

To me it's an invaluable yoke. There's 44k km on the bike and it has just had its 3rd set of chain and sprockets ( 1st chain pre oiler was 12k km, 2nd one lasted 31k km with the oiler) .

It handy enough to set up, biggest decision was

I've had two self inflicted problems with it,all mechanical,nothing electrical.
    I had mine under the seat which made an oily mess. I got the touring kit which allowed the tank and scottoiler unit to be mounted behind the number plate. I got it secondhand on eBay around the time the tube version came out. I think it’s a pity they’re not making them anymore as it’s such a neat job - cool looking tank and no mess and fill it once every six months.
    As an aside is it a bit of a racket that chain oilers aren’t a standard item on all new bikes ? Bit like timing belts in cars.

Itineoman wrote: »
    I had mine under the seat which made an oily mess. I got the touring kit which allowed the tank and scottoiler unit to be mounted behind the number plate. I got it secondhand on eBay around the time the tube version came out. I think it’s a pity they’re not making them anymore as it’s such a neat job - cool looking tank and no mess and fill it once every six months.
    As an aside is it a bit of a racket that chain oilers aren’t a standard item on all new bikes ? Bit like timing belts in cars.

And thinking about it again i realize that the lube tubes can't be refilled with ATF like I do with my scottoiler - so locking you into a purchase? The original product was so good. Tinfoil hat off.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I've one on mine and wouldn't be without it especially for winter riding.
    Pic from when I fitted it, reservoir hidden inside LHS chicken fillet under tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

mamax wrote: »
    I've one on mine and wouldn't be without it especially for winter riding.
    Pic from when I fitted it, reservoir hidden inside LHS chicken fillet under tank
    Is that the manual or electronic one? There’s a significant price diff between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

H_Lime wrote: »

They look good. Buy it and tell me how it is? :D

Looks like a good piece of kit for the price of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

There’s the OSCO, one second chain oiler, for 140, looks the easiest, just a plunger by the looks of it, so no leakage, maybe ?

OSCO
    https://www.osco-chainoiler.com/en/product/osco-motorcycle-black/

Hmmmm, I like it’s simplisity, but never heard of it

• Advertisement

There’s the OSCO, one second chain oiler, for 140, looks the easiest, just a plunger by the looks of it, so no leakage, maybe ?

OSCO
    https://www.osco-chainoiler.com/en/product/osco-motorcycle-black/

Hmmmm, I like it’s simplisity, but never heard of it

I think I prefer the look of the Turturo one. I have no centre stand and there is spots of rust of my rollers again as I took off the bike cover due to the wind so I might have to bite the bullet abs buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good look at the E system here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oc04wsodS0

If you shop around you can get a very good deal on the e-system, I got one for the same price as the x system which was brilliant. I have mine set for anything over 30kph and the unit starts to oil and under 30kph and it stops. You can control the oil flow rate on the fly which is brilliant....all works of an acceleromotor which you can adjust the sensitivity of depending on your bike (V Twins more vibey so set it lower)

I like that you just hook it up to the battery and off you go, no cutting vaccum tubes and having the oil flowing once you start the bike.

Great unit if fitted correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Scottoiler-E-System-Electronic-Chain-Oiler/m-m-15738.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8smby4nL6QIVxJrVCh2WKQyuEAAYASAAEgKa1PD_BwE
    275 euro lol...
    I'd want it to blow me as well as oil my chain.
    I take it all back, save your old engine oil and brush it on once a week with a scabby paint brush. Job did.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Scottoiler-E-System-Electronic-Chain-Oiler/m-m-15738.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8smby4nL6QIVxJrVCh2WKQyuEAAYASAAEgKa1PD_BwE
    275 euro lol...
    I take it all back, save your old engine oil and brush it on once a week with a scabby paint brush. Job did.

LOL, 275 euro is nothing in the grand scheme of things (I got mine for 248 sportbike.co.uk). Initial outlay of course and fitting is a doddle, peeps have no probs dropping 600 euro on a helmet or 200 euro on a pair of gloves....let alone a weekend on the demon drink pre-covid 19.

TBH, even if you dont want the e system the v-system for 90 quid is still onr of the best things you can buy for your bike...the benefits of even the fancy one far out weight the cost.

275 euro lol...

I was looking at the price of them yesterday evening and couldn't believe how much they went up since I got mine. I have a figure of something like €160 in my mind that I payed. . I'm gonna see can I find the receipt.

Id say they have gone up in price, probably due to popularity and more so technology. I was a little sceptical about the unit when I was going for it, I wanted the x system as I did not want to start cutting pipes for the vaccum (V System) as my bike is still under warranty and the dealers are only looking for excuses when it comes to problems. So when I seen the E system for the same price as the X system I said why not, honestly its not a gimmick the LCD has alot of important info and the acceleromotor works really really well.

Q for those with oilers. Do you have to use the proprietary oil or can you just use gear oil?

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Q for those with oilers. Do you have to use the proprietary oil or can you just use gear oil?

ATF all the way.

PCeeeee wrote: »

Scottoil off their own website is 10.99 Sterling for 500ml, you can get a litre of ATF fluid for €9 from most places.

In fairness the 500ml lasts you a long long time but when this runs out I will get the ATF fluid or the scottoil again if its on sale maybe (I like the blue colour :cool:)

Chainsaw Oil. €14 for a gallon

• Advertisement

Yeah could work, never heard of it being used but if its the same consistency then cant see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Is that the manual or electronic one? There’s a significant price diff between the 2

Manual, bought it few years back i think it was around 100 euro
    I check it every weekend when I've used the bike that week it only takes a few mins to fill, I hid the reservoir so it wouldn't get stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a Scottoiler still in it's box I've never used. This one : https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Scottoiler-V-System-Chain-Oiler-Kit/m-m-14304.aspx

My last bike I fitted a Tuturro on.

Reason? er, I forgot I had the first one before I bought the 2nd one.............errrrrrrr

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Nemo oiler has got very good reviews and looks neatest to me. I've ordered knockoff which also has strong reviews. Should arrive just before my current spray can runs out. ðŸ˜
    Fortnine did a good rundown on chain oil options, and common-or-garden engine oil came out on top.

Breezin wrote: »
    Nemo oiler has got very good reviews and looks nearest to me. I've ordered knockoff which also has strong reviews. Should arrive just before my current spray can runs out. ðŸ˜
    Fortnine did a good rundown on chain oil options, and common-or-garden engine oil came out on top.

Love that channel (Fortnine) one of the best on Youtube, just wish he would post stuff more often.

That's my set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,764 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Chainsaw Oil. €14 for a gallon

Deffo.

What I've been using for ages. Works perfectly well and the first chain I ran using it lasted 30K and got sold with the bike, having only been adjusted once in that distance. I reckon that chain had at least another 10K left in it.
    My only current chainy came to me with a Snotoiler fitted, and I've been doing the same with it. Local Farmer's Co-op supply me with chainsaw oil.
    I just got scunnered with the price that Snott wanted for their oil, and having knocked down a tree or two in my time, I knew of chainsaw oil so decided it was worth a try.
    I've known people use other oils with good results, too. Problem with a lot of them is the lack of cling, which the bar oil has in spades.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement