Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip in Ireland

Options
  • 22-05-2020 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for short multiday trips in Ireland on bikes. Say 3-5 days. Nice roads, nice scenery etc. I was talking to a couple guys about sorting out something in Europe when things get back to normal but it doesn't look like that will happen this year and a trip in Ireland seems like a good alternative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

rowanh wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for short multiday trips in Ireland on bikes. Say 3-5 days. Nice roads, nice scenery etc. I was talking to a couple guys about sorting out something in Europe when things get back to normal but it doesn't look like that will happen this year and a trip in Ireland seems like a good alternative.

I’m thinking of the same - Wild Atlantic Way is one option.
    Had intended to go to abroad but can’t see it happening this year. Let’s hope for a fine summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Celtic rider has 3 day Tours on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

I work as a Sales Rep and can give you an idea of most of the country driving. if you are based in Dublin, Day 1 drive down via Wexford across the ferry to Dunmore East and continue down the coast to Tramore, Ardmore and onto Youghal or maybe even onto Cork City. Day 2 Our to Kinsale and around the coast road to Clonakilty and on down the N71 to either Bantry or better still Kenmare. Day 3 Over Molls gap in Killarney heading out from there via coast road around to Killorglan and out to stay in Dingle. Day 4 .. Dingle into Tralee and on out to Listowel across the ferry to Clare travelling around via Kilrush, Kilkee and on up to Ballyvaughn and on into Galway....Day 5 will be back across the country via Gort up over the mountain road to Portumna, Birr, and back up the morotway to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Last year three of us went to Ballyshannon for 4 days It was lovely, we went up around all North Donegal, Fanad and Inishowen peninsulas. Did a day around Sligo / Fermanagh as well.

I personally think Europe is doable this year. Italy will be off limits for a while yet but most frontier borders will be open to tourists well before the end of June.

I'm off next week to Switzerland on the bike but it's work related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Antrim Coast Road from Larne all along the coast to Derry and then into Donegal would be my first choice. Some epic biking roads and scenery.

Personally still hoping to travel from London (on a rental) across the Tunnel to Northern France and Belgium in late September on a WW1 battlefield tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Last year three of us went to Ballyshannon for 4 days It was lovely, we went up around all North Donegal, Fanad and Inishowen peninsulas. Did a day around Sligo / Fermanagh as well.

I personally think Europe is doable this year. Italy will be off limits for a while yet but most frontier borders will be open to tourists well before the end of June.

Unless we change our policy on quarantine on arrival it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Have to ask.. What kind of work are you doing that allows for motorbike trips to Switzerland?

veetwin wrote: »
    Antrim Coast Road from Larne all along the coast to Derry and then into Donegal would be my first choice. Some epic biking roads and scenery.

I was looking at this earlier on as on of the Celtic Rider tours is in Donegal. I haven't ever been to Donegal, seems like a good call. I have heard the Antrim coast road is great and Donegal is supposed to generally be spectacular..

If anyone knows of any specific bits of roads worth including i'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you haven't done the wild Atlantic way or kerry definitely consider them.

Also despite bad weather we had a great time in Galway last year, Maam cross etc. Really nice roads without having to slog it out to kerry and a great night life to wrap up the days.

Wherever you decide to go, you should try to get some photo rally points in to add to your trip.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless we change our policy on quarantine on arrival it won't be.

The self quarantine in Ireland is the caveat alright. But if you are willing to take the hit or have a job that can be done remotely from home during quarantine then it's doable.

rowanh wrote: »
    Have to ask.. What kind of work are you doing that allows for motorbike trips to Switzerland?

I was looking at this earlier on as on of the Celtic Rider tours is in Donegal. I haven't ever been to Donegal, seems like a good call. I have heard the Antrim coast road is great and Donegal is supposed to generally be spectacular..

If anyone knows of any specific bits of roads worth including i'd be interested.

Pharma during the week, weekends are for playing.

WAW has some good roads and some not so good roads for you to take. N roads in West Donegal are great, Sliabh League, Killbegs, Ardara, Glengesh Pass, over lough salt, across the Harry Blamey, around Fanad lighthouse, Portsalon - Ramelton along Knockalla,, around Letterkenny and do Inch island, Bumcrana, Mamoré Gap from the west side going east, Ballyliffin, Malin Head and aim for Muff and get buried in it it. You'll have a choice there of going across the border to Mexico or take a right back to Bridgend / Burnfoot.

All in all, take as many days as you can to enjoy it all and get lost. It's the most fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

TBH, I would focus on CAMPING and you be sorted....at least you dont have to worry about hotels and B&Bs etc. I get that its not everyones cup of tea but with a few lads the craic is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    TBH, I would focus on CAMPING and you be sorted....at least you dont have to worry about hotels and B&Bs etc. I get that its not everyones cup of tea but with a few lads the craic is mental.

Would you camp in campsites or wild camping?

If the latter what would you do about showers/toilet etc and do you think its safe enough to leave bikes and go setup tents or is it handy enough to find places to setup tents right where you can park the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MotoTourist

Road trip ideas.. I went pretty much everywhere when I first arrived 4 years ago.

In short, wild Atlantic Way is great ( voted best holiday route in the world in the Chinese tourist market in 2018) with Kerry and Connemara being the highlights for me. Also Keem bay (you'd think you're in Thailand if you go there in the summer sun).

Inland, Kilarney national park is a must. Everywhere rural in the south west corner is great.

Avoid motorways but also avoid straight N roads.

In northern Ireland the coast road Port Rush to Larne is great. And Derry to Donegal coast too.

Bestbikingroads.com is useful for all of Europe but there's plenty of routes it doesn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Presuming that you're coming out of Dublin there's a number of 3 - 5 day trips you can take.
    You could comfortably make a 3 to 5 day trip out of Cork /West Cork / Kerry alone. Likewise for the West, taking in Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo. Same again then for another trip up north and the Northwest and coming back through Fermanagh.
    Taking your time and enjoying it , being in no rush is where the pleasure is in those trips. No need for speed...get to the general area as fast as you can then just kick back and take it in, travelling at your leisure without a set schedule.
    The first option above being my stomping ground I could easily get lost there for four or five days - Kinsale, down through Clonakilty, Union Hall, Baltimore, out to Mizen Head taking in Barleycove and Crookhaven, up through Durrus, Bantry and Glengarriffe, out the Beara Peninsula to Castletownbere and Allihies then on to Kenmare and up through Molls Gap to Killarney or take in the Ring of Kerry down towards Parknasilla, on to Valentia and back towards Killarney that way. On towards Tralee and out the Dingle Peninsula where Slea Head and and the Connor Pass are an absolute 'must do'.
    There's so much to see and do on that route alone 4 days would barely cover it. I wouldn't be as familiar with other areas even though I have been 'up wesht-along' and to the Northwest a few times but rarely as an out and out tourist. I have no doubt though that there's just as many nooks and crannies in all these areas, places off the beaten track that you may never again get the chance to visit. That's the great thing about these trips - you can plan the slowest route for a change !!!

Advertisement