Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating with Wedding Venues

Options
  • 19-05-2020 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are currently planning our 2021 wedding in Ireland from abroad. There are a couple of venues we like, but I would like to try negotiate on the price or what's included. For instance, one of the venues offered us a second night stay in the hotel, 2 complimentary rooms for our parents, 4 complimentary rooms for the bridal party and 2 more at a reduced rate of €99. But the other only offers 1 night stay for us and 2 rooms for our parents and have not mentioned anything about extra rooms.

I want to negotiate but don't know how to approach it. Do we flat out say "another venue offered this, can you do the same?" If we go ahead with booking, I don't want it to be uncomfortable having asked for discounts/freebies.

Is it also normal to ask for an entire breakdown of every cost? For instance, we have heard that venues charge for chair covers, which we don't plan to use, so it would be good to know what these costs are specifically and if we can bring down the package a bit overall...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

I told the venue (which we were planning on using anyway) what the other venues offered. Got a nice bit off including free corkage which our venue wasn't offering but another one we had looked at it.

I just put in nicely into an email, that we were still undecided between their venue and another one. I told her what other other one offered and she came back to match it all plus more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Depends on the venue tbh, if it's popular and your date is during the busy season probably not much negotiation. If it's quieter time of year probably more, All you can do is try and see if they'll match what the other venues are offering?

Are they comparable venues? Like you aren't going to a castle asking them to match what an hotel chain are offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Definitely try to get the best price you can, but I wonder if you'll have much luck. I imagine venues know there will be a lot of couples moving their wedding to next year so there is likely increased demand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 akqa

Thanks for the advice! :)

I guess there's no harm in asking if it's done politely! If we do decide to book them, I just wouldn't want there to be any ill-will or awkwardness after, but I'm sure they're probably used to it!

It's not peak season and the venues are fairly comparable and pretty close to each other too!

Advertisement