Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

We can only hope everyone will get their WBC in before the rain. See a neighbour here got bogged down this Eve and had to get a excavator so ground still fairly damp. Also take a moment for silage gougers who are still trying to sell last winters bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

We can only hope everyone will get their WBC in before the rain. See a neighbour here got bogged down this Eve and had to get a excavator so ground still fairly damp. Also take a moment for silage gougers who are still trying to sell last winters bales.

Bogged down??? jayus i can't believe that. only young cut rushes growing round here the likes of it not seen for most folks memory anyway.

what country? sorry county?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

Long term forecasts saying rain will come in ten days from now sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

kk.man wrote: »
    Long term forecasts saying rain will come in ten days from now sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Lads lose the run of themselves, rain us never far away on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

whatdo you mean by silage gougers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

2018 was like that. Weeks on end of promised rain kept being pushed back.

I'm not comparing the two or complaining. This is perfect weather for us here. Forecasting a nice sup this evening then plan is silage and slurry out before that rain day 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

What was this great field used for prior to Glas. Sounds like it's a piece of bog. Loads of contractors hate WBC, being sent into a very wet, boggy piece of land and getting stuck. And then if there was an inspection, every reason under the sun as to why the WBC didn't grow would be given, still looking for the euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Theres no such thing as long term forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I took it from the Met twitter account, tbh. I can't follow the site since they changed it around a while back.

We've had 2mm in the last week.
    Saw a nice mist over your place this morning. This morning was a day I wished I was in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I find met Éireann aren’t much good predicting part two days. I seen the forecast for the week ahead is for eastern wind, which is worrying to see at this stage. Grass very slow now. Last evening was the first proper grass day in a long time, it was very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

Timmaay wrote: »
    I considered that here before (Esp as we experience droughts about 1 in 3 summers here), however the conclusion I came to was that that I'd lose far more during the normal wet periods than I'd gain in them few droughts. If we are in for alot more regular summer 2018, then yep it might be worth consideration, however in the likes of the north island in NZ where they experience droughts regularly they have still stuck with the monocultures, and instead usually go down the irrigation road.

That's exactly the point though, diverse awards can be true for opposite conditions of drought, making ground much more resilient to poaching and water logging. The idea of going down the irrigation route in Ireland sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

endainoz wrote: »
    That's exactly the point though, diverse awards can be true for opposite conditions of drought, making ground much more resilient to poaching and water logging. The idea of going down the irrigation route in Ireland sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

Ryegrass monocultures are useless in dry situations. Multi species work particularly well with/without irrigation in dry situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

For sure, it's almost as if teagasc are giving incorrect advice by pushing ryegrass and loading nitrogen into it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

Anyone else finding there meadows underperforming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Robson99 wrote: »

Anything closed up since winter is doing Ok, maybe a week behind normal, but anything grazed in spring is going to be a long time bulking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I wish I had fertiliser out 3 weeks earlier. I would be making hay now. Hopefully in 3 weeks the weather will be like this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes, even when shook and in some cases, generously so.

Trees are 2 weeks behind here, never mind grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

endainoz wrote: »
    For sure, it's almost as if teagasc are giving incorrect advice by pushing ryegrass and loading nitrogen into it. :rolleyes:

No but ryegrass and 21 day grazing certainly are hit harder in drier weather.

That's a species issue in its root depth and how its roots die back after a tight grazing, up to 90% after a silage cut.

Teagasc do a lot of good work but there is a one cap fits all approach while.

People have to take bits of systems that fit their land, system and needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Picked 30 acres today for milkers. 25 x 22ft silage trailer loads off it. Surprised how heavy it was. Not grazed
    Mowed yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

Picked 30 acres today for milkers. 25 x 22ft silage trailer loads off it. Surprised how heavy it was. Not grazed
    Mowed yesterday

Baled 17 acs today, same as you not grazed, near 11 bales to the acre, mowed and tedded yesterday so got a nice wilt, i was shocked, i would have thought 7 max, wont be much good for milkers at that yield i feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

A lot of thunder rain this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Having had only 5mm this month, we had 20mm in an hour this afternoon.
    Was very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

Having had only 5mm this month, we had 20mm in an hour this afternoon.
    Was very welcome.

Yea we had a few very heavy showers yesterday evening. You can see everything growing this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had an hour of soft rain yesterday evening and than half hour again this morning.
    Should help, put out some fert yesterday on few paddocks to keep grass going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Boggy land doing ok here, still seems to put up grass with minimal rainfall.
    Banks land (machair) is starting to burn up already.
    Another week of northerly winds and no rain on the way, i hope the stalks of my apocalypse potatoes dont get burnt.
    Turf home last Friday, only 3 weeks 3 days cut and bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Boggy land doing ok here, still seems to put up grass with minimal rainfall.
    Banks land (machair) is starting to burn up already.
    Another week of northerly winds and no rain on the way, i hope the stalks of my apocalypse potatoes dont get burnt.
    Turf home last Friday, only 3 weeks 3 days cut and bone dry.

Still talk from MT cranium about next week becoming unsettled after the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jeo John

Only getting rain in spots in the west nothing worth taking about great turf weather that's about it .The trouble is when it starts raining it probably won't stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I am happy not to have much rain. Sowed 20 kilos of wildflowers into an unimproved upland meadow. Low grass growth helps the wildflower seedlings compete for light.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I am happy not to have much rain. Sowed 20 kilos of wildflowers into an unimproved upland meadow. Low grass growth helps the wildflower seedlings compete for light.

Is there much maintenance with them at the start? Did you burn off the grass first or just spread the seed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Is there much maintenance with them at the start? Did you burn off the grass first or just spread the seed?

Ideally you would want to start with a place that has the old style finer grass and a low base fertility. The wildflowers should exist with grass giving you the old style species rich meadows.

Can Recommend this for info https://youtu.be/rKzE5t8Zkzc

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement