Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

Neddyusa wrote: »
    True, but most of the east has had more rain than the west over the last two months.
    Been savage dying too with the sunshine, east wind and low humidity.
    Pity there's no hay to be cut!

I’m in the east, I haven’t seen much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Neddyusa wrote: »
    True, but most of the east has had more rain than the west over the last two months.
    Been savage dying too with the sunshine, east wind and low humidity.
    Pity there's no hay to be cut!

Would consider us to have dry land but grass growing nicely the whole time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Would consider us to have dry land but grass growing nicely the whole time,

Mayo? Ye might have gotten more than us in April. Growth rates on grazed ground here struggling to get to 20kg /ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

No significant rain here on the Meath/Dublin border in the last seven weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The weather gas been really good more or less since the void restrictions started. Couldn't imagine what it would be like if it was raining. At least people can go outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Here in south east Wicklow,I've recorded about 50mm in the last 5 weeks
    Lots of Sun too
    Great growth as a result
    3mm of that recorded in last 7 days
    Ground is rock hard but theres been plenty moisture so far to fuel that growth here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    The weather gas been really good more or less since the void restrictions started. Couldn't imagine what it would be like if it was raining. At least people can go outside

Spot on there Whelan.

If this had happened in the dark depths of winter it would have been a very different time for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

_Brian wrote: »
    Spot on there Whelan.

If this had happened in the dark depths of winter it would have been a very different time for us all.

It wouldn’t have mattered. There’s a baby boom on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Or a divorce pandemic........

I think it would have mattered allot.
    At least with the sun and good weather people could get out and do stuff. The kids spent huge amounts of time outside being active.

If this had been Jam & Feb there would have been far bigger depression issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Mad how some lads are in a drought and others are rained under. Could you guys send a bit of rain east.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

There were a few showers the last few days in the west but nothing crazy, just enough to keep things ticking over. Ground is still quite hard all the same.

It brings up the argument for more diverse awards that are much more resistant to drought like conditions. The mono cultures tend to struggle as the summer of 2018 showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Sure it'll probably rain the whole month of June to make up for this "drought".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

No rain here worth talking about since paddies day. No regrowth what’s so ever. Far from overstocked but will be feeding bales in a week I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Cavanjack wrote: »
    No rain here worth talking about since paddies day. No regrowth what’s so ever. Far from overstocked but will be feeding bales in a week I’d say.

Did you not get the rain yesterday evening or the heavy rain about a week or so ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

endainoz wrote: »
    It brings up the argument for more diverse awards that are much more resistant to drought like conditions. The mono cultures tend to struggle as the summer of 2018 showed.

I considered that here before (Esp as we experience droughts about 1 in 3 summers here), however the conclusion I came to was that that I'd lose far more during the normal wet periods than I'd gain in them few droughts. If we are in for alot more regular summer 2018, then yep it might be worth consideration, however in the likes of the north island in NZ where they experience droughts regularly they have still stuck with the monocultures, and instead usually go down the irrigation road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tbh 2018 was the only drought period we've ever had to deal with and at that it wasn't a proper drought in that growth rates slowed but didn't stop. Dealing with wet weather is a much bigger issue which is why I have my reservations with mss and clover and being forced to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

Drought is so bad here a lad tried to drownd himself but there wasn't enough water.

He's gone off to be dried out.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Met Eireann data on rainfall.

aYmMkAK.png

Met Eireann data on rainfall.

aYmMkAK.png

Do you have a link for that.
    I was looking one day and just gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I took it from the Met twitter account, tbh. I can't follow the site since they changed it around a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Here - https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data
    Click on "Climate" scroll down and you see daily, monthly, historical etc data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

It can rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Isn't it just mad that we are looking for rain in early May? I need it here soon or the rushes will start dying.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Dozer1 wrote: »
    It can rain now

You may get the watering can ; )

tanko wrote: »
    Did you not get the rain yesterday evening or the heavy rain about a week or so ago?

There was a bit of rain one day a week ago alright but it dried up as quick as it fell. The ground round here is like a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Dug a big dyke in it 2 weeks ago water still flowing...but yea might need the watering can in a few weeks 😀
    You may get the watering can ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

tillage ground either side of me here is in serious need of rain, large patches have failed already, i think its barley. oil seed rape doing well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Grass will eventually work out grand in time. it's the important tillage crops in various parts of the country I'd be concerned about. conditions need to be right from the get go.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

There was a bit of rain one day a week ago alright but it dried up as quick as it fell. The ground round here is like a rock.

Advertisement