Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RF 433mhz automation

• 06-05-2020 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can point me in a suitable direction for automating a 433mhz transmission.

I would like to send a 5 second 433mhz signal approximately 30 metres. Today it is operated manually via a fob, but it would be nicer to do this via an app on Android.

I was hoping ideally to use Google home via a sonoff basic or similar.

I do have a raspberry pi which maybe I could stick a .net core API on also if I had time.

Where I am struggling is the hardware for this. What would be the easiest way to achieve something like this, based on the ability to clone an existing remote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

there are several 433 options available for tinkerers, arduino using a cheap 433 mhz transmitter from ebay, or raspberry pi. libraries available for both. Typically you also need an rx to first 'listen' to the code(s - sometimes it cycles through different codes in a sequence) so you can catch them and then program to send. e.g. https://randomnerdtutorials.com/rf-433mhz-transmitter-receiver-module-with-arduino/

I have about 10 433 "smart" sockets sitting idle in the attic though, replaced with WiFi smart sonoff units. Main reason being, I found the reliability of the 433 sockets to be low - and you can't tell, remotely, the state of the socket. That's fine for "manual" use, you go into the room and see "oh the tv is off" or "the light is off" and you turn it on with the remote control. But if you want to be able to do some smarts, you kind of need to know the state of the switch currently so you can make a call on it. Likewise you can't be sure that a socket or whatever has received the command you sent (often it doesn't especially over longish distances depending on environmental interference) so you have to brute force send it a couple of times and hope for the best.

Can you give more detailed information on your needs maybe can point you more in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Absolutely. The purpose would be to open a gate, so unfortunately WiFi wouldn't be an option.

Figured something like that indeed, when you mentioned fob and distance. Does it auto close after some time, or do you need to close it yourself? What would the downside be if it didn't do as commanded? Have you line of sight to the gate or would it be through multiple walls? How responsive is the current fob?

If you're prepared to tinker, and can deal with the potential of failure, then the link I put up in my first reply should get you along the way. Another option would be if you had a spare fob, to wire the button contacts to something - Arduino or raspberry pi or nodemcu or whatever, and get that to trigger the transmitter from that fob, so you're not looking at sniffing and retransmission of the rf codes, rather just a different way to activate the fob than a finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PaulKK wrote: »
    Absolutely. The purpose would be to open a gate, so unfortunately WiFi wouldn't be an option.

If its just a 433 gate opener there are loads of commercial iot/wifi to homelink/gate bridges ,Chamberlain MyQ Starter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EYYAL6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Vd8SEbFV2M9W3

Where's the fun in that? 😀

• Advertisement

If its just a 433 gate opener there are loads of commercial iot/wifi to homelink/gate bridges ,Chamberlain MyQ Starter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EYYAL6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Vd8SEbFV2M9W3

Interesting thanks, I wasn't aware of such things :)

The gate goes indeed close by itself after a period of time so only the opening is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Interesting thanks, I wasn't aware of such things :)

The gate goes indeed close by itself after a period of time so only the opening is required.

what you're looking for is basically a Homelink 433 (watch that US homelink can be different to 433, UK models are almost always 433) to wifi bridge, theres a few companies make them.

what you're looking for is basically a Homelink 433 (watch that US homelink can be different to 433, UK models are almost always 433) to wifi bridge, theres a few companies make them.

Just to be clear, I don't want to modify the gate in any way whatsoever. The homelink seems to be a receiver only? I'd like to clone an existing transmitter and broadcast that signal on demand.

I've ordered a couple of these

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8H3wed

My plan is to use a sonoff basic in inching mode to power it on and off.

Just hoping I can clone an existing remote!

Interesting yoke, very handy sort of thing. How do you program it with your own code though? 1 Of the comments says you have to teach your receiver the code... One question asked from Ireland user P***e - you?

• Advertisement

Not my question, but I'm presuming you have to be able to code it though.

I did notice there is a sonoff RF bridge available too, not sure what the range is like, anyone any experience with it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Another option would be a sonoff rf bridge. I have one flashed with Tasmota. Haven't sent signals, only recieved, but I know it is possible from online guides. Just Google sonoff rf bridge transmit.

EDIT just seen post before me. I have one. I will try out the range later if I get a chance.

Not my question, but I'm presuming you have to be able to code it though.

Sure not a lot of money spent if you can't, am sure you'll find some use for it. It says transmitter though, and unless there's a receiver inbuilt then I can't see, from the pics how you could program it. Cool thing though

Lucifer wrote: »
    Another option would be a sonoff rf bridge. I have one flashed with Tasmota. Haven't sent signals, only recieved, but I know it is possible from online guides. Just Google sonoff rf bridge transmit.

EDIT just seen post before me. I have one. I will try out the range later if I get a chance.

Thanks for that, it would be great to know the range. Looking at it I think it might even suit out of the box? Looks like you can clone 4 RF devices and control via WiFi?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I think the 4 remotes is using the ewelink software but if you flash tasmota on it then I dont think there is a limit. Not sure though. With tasmota it gives you mqtt support and makes it easy to integrate into any other system you have such as home assistant or node red etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Maybe I am not reading this correctly and not seeing your requirements but would a Broadlink RM Pro work?

I have one and use it with 433mhz power sockets
    I have 3 in use all the time and can be managed by Google assistant

Have had up to 10 in use over the Christmas season with lights etc

Range seems good too as the RM pro is hidden in a bookcase on the ground floor and it can control a socket up on the 3rd floor at the opposite corner of the house

These off the shelf solutions are interesting. I'd love to know the range though as I've measured and I actually need 50 metres.

Also need to make sure that it will actually clone the remote. I've read the sonoff is not as good as the broadlink in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

These off the shelf solutions are interesting. I'd love to know the range though as I've measured and I actually need 50 metres.

Also need to make sure that it will actually clone the remote. I've read the sonoff is not as good as the broadlink in that regard.

Broadlink is very straight forward and is able to learn rf codes in a few clicks
    Range seems to be about 30 m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Apogee

This may also be of interest:

Ended up ordering the sonoff RF bridge with a pir sensor as I have another use case for it. If that can clone the remote I might be in business, it seems to use exactly the right frequency.

I will probably look at the broadlink solution otherwise.

I think those original transmitters I ordered can't be coded, you need to set your reciever up to handle them so I'll have to find another use for those.

• Advertisement
Advertisement