Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding insurance corona virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I know people who have lost rings in the days before the wedding, got them sorted, so don't worry. I can't advise on the shoes, but I am sure everything will be grand! Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

Shelli2 wrote: »
    We just pulled the trigger on postponement, from May 2nd to October 3rd.....if it goes on ant longer we're going to cancel all together and elope when it's all over, I just couldn't face any more rearranging.
    Please god we can go ahead in Oct.

We've lost our band and ceremony musician, so the hunt is on!

Where would you stand with the deposit that you've paid to the venue in this scenario? We're half considering the same option.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Where would you stand with the deposit that you've paid to the venue in this scenario? We're half considering the same option.

All our vendors and venue moved our deposit to our new date. They were all so lovely to deal with and very flexible.
    We lost our band as they weren't available but hadn't paid any deposit and the just cancelled our contract given the circumstances.
    We also lost our ceremony singer, but didn't ask for the 50e deposit back, they've lost enough business.

We since secured a great band and ceremony music, so all back on track for October.

Edit: on the cancellation if October doesn't go ahead, I've no idea. But we have wedding insurance since early last year, hoping we'd be covered seeing as we already tried to be flexible and postpone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hard copy

We're scheduled for the end of September so still a reasonable chance of going ahead, but due to some delays and late changes we've only just been sent the contract now so not exposed financially yet. I think at this stage we can forget about insurance but with all this summer's rescheduling that will have already happened I doubt think we'll get another good date for a long time.

Probably worth the gamble as we certainly don't want to wait another year. Maybe sign it after trying to getting some sort of assurances from the venue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

You mean the contract from the venue? From what I've been hearing, venues have been letting people who need to postpone transfer their deposit to a new date. There would be no harm asking them about this? If it can be written into the contract, even better!

I know what you mean about the "good dates being gone". We were adamant that we wanted a Saturday, because it meant people didn't need to use annual leave to come. So if we did need to reschedule, we'd just have to do it midweek instead. I assume given the circumstances, people would be understanding and do their best to attend. There's only so much you can control like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Just saw on RTE news that the Central Bank has written to insurance companies and told them that if there is any ambiguity in the terms of the insurance policy they have to find in favour of the policy holder and not the insurance company.

That's always been the legal position with all insurance contracts. It's known as the contra preferentem principal. Any vague terms in an insurance contract go against the party who drew up the wording.

If doesn't mean all claims get paid. If the wording is tight, it will be applied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hard copy

woodchuck wrote: »
    You mean the contract from the venue? From what I've been hearing, venues have been letting people who need to postpone transfer their deposit to a new date. There would be no harm asking them about this? If it can be written into the contract, even better!

I know what you mean about the "good dates being gone". We were adamant that we wanted a Saturday, because it meant people didn't need to use annual leave to come. So if we did need to reschedule, we'd just have to do it midweek instead. I assume given the circumstances, people would be understanding and do their best to attend. There's only so much you can control like!

Yes the contract with the venue. Up til now its only been small enough deposits here and there that we wouldn't be overly concerned about losing but once we sign this we're obviously locked in to the biggest expense. Going to go through the contract carefully and then give them a call to try get see how they will accommodate if postponed.

Ultimately think we will sign as its just about far enough away, fingers crossed, to be worth trying to have something close to the kind of day we want. I think if it was pushed back and had to be midweek we could have quite a big drop off in guests due to distances and work etc so might be hard to hit our minimum guest number but not the end of the world, theres bigger things going on to put this concern in to perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

We were due to be married in July. We made arrangements with the venue and everyone else and switched it to may 2021. Will the insurance company extend the policy or will we need a new policy to cover us?
    It's with Blue Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Anyone tried claiming back lost deposits due to rearrangement of wedding to next year (original date August)? With Blue Insurance - trying to claim for photographer deposit now and I have a feeling it will be like pulling teeth despite having cover before the pandemic.

We actually changed our mind and pulled the plug on the whole thing. My father passed away and also I just found out I'm pregnant. We'll probably elope before the baby is born.

We've lodged our claim today, they wanted all receipts and my father's death certificate.

I'll let yo Lu know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Prezatch wrote: »
    Anyone tried claiming back lost deposits due to rearrangement of wedding to next year (original date August)? With Blue Insurance - trying to claim for photographer deposit now and I have a feeling it will be like pulling teeth despite having cover before the pandemic.

As expected, they have ruled the claim doesn't stand.

The contract says we are covered if the venue is "unable to hold Your Wedding due to an outbreak of infectious or contagious disease" but on the other hand the contract also says we are not covered by "Any claim arising directly or indirectly from: a) government regulation or act".

Absolute shower, need to go research now what I can do about this. Surely given the ambiguity they have to find in favour of us.

Surely given the ambiguity they have to find in favour of us.

Yeah I thought where there is ambiguity in the contract, you have to find in favour of the person who did not write the contract. I first learned this on The Big Bang Theory :P But there were some news stories a few weeks ago stating this also, although not specifically in relation to wedding insurance. This is one such story:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/coronavirus-insurers-told-to-interpret-claims-in-customers-favour-1.4214080?fbclid=IwAR1SsveSV-xA64bkbScCAcQPTYuG4Lchz6KfABbzxtgDZC1ML2vMUPJoX8o
    “Although the Central Bank expects that most policy wordings are clear in terms of what cover is provided and what cover exclusions are in place, where there is a doubt about the meaning of a term, the interpretation most favourable to their customer should prevail,” the Central Bank said in a letter to the firms on Friday, ahead of the CEOs’ meeting with top regulators on Monday.

I would have thought there might be an issue though because we don't know yet if wedding venues will be unable to hold weddings in August? I.e. they might be able to go ahead with restrictions, therefore it's technically the couples choice not have the wedding. I'm in the same situation for September. We have a plan B that we haven't activated yet, but I think it's inevitable. My MUA isn't free for the new date though, so that's 100euro deposit gone there, as well as a non-refundable room booking for my bridesmaid (maybe the hotel will be flexible, won't bother asking until we're sure we'll move).

Also does any know, if you change the date of your wedding, do you need to take out a second wedding insurance policy for the new date? Assuming you haven't made a (successful) claim of course. I know a new policy wouldn't cover Covid-19, but still good to have. But yet another 100quid likely to go down the drain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We actually changed our mind and pulled the plug on the whole thing. My father passed away and also I just found out I'm pregnant. We'll probably elope before the baby is born.

We've lodged our claim today, they wanted all receipts and my father's death certificate.

I'll let yo Lu know how it goes.

Sorry to hear about your dad. and congrats on your lovely news. Good luck with organising your wedding!

woodchuck wrote: »
    Also does any know, if you change the date of your wedding, do you need to take out a second wedding insurance policy for the new date? Assuming you haven't made a (successful) claim of course. I know a new policy wouldn't cover Covid-19, but still good to have. But yet another 100quid likely to go down the drain :rolleyes:

Blue insurance told me they are extending the policy for 12 months from the original wedding date, no charge.

What I don't understand is insurance bought now doesn't cover for 'Covid' so that implies that insurance bought before does cover for 'Covid'...but no dice on the claim :confused:

Blue insurance told me they are extending the policy for 12 months from the original wedding date, no charge.

What I don't understand is insurance bought now doesn't cover for 'Covid' so that implies that insurance bought before does cover for 'Covid'...but no dice on the claim :confused:

Feck, our backup date is just over 12 months :(

Even though it's a pile of crap, I'd still like to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Take a look at your policy document to confirm the complaints process and submit a complaint. If it’s not resolved to your satisfaction, you can take it to the ombudsman, but you have to go through the complaints process first,

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Some policies had vague wording about what reasons you are covered for if your venue needed to close - words like illness or epidemics would have been in them but the latter quickly removed from policies around early March here.

If the wording is ambiguous then the claim decision is weighted in favour of the claimant so by specifically excluding the word 'covid' it's no longer ambiguous so therefore explicitly not covered. Other illnesses may still be covered though.

It's still worth submitting a claim if you've lost money, and having a word with the Ombudsman for an independent review if you think you were given the wrong claim decision at the end of the process.

Yes going to file a complaint, wait for response and then take it to the ombudsman if needs be.

So our claim was declined - they stated a government act was not covered, but our policy clearly covers outbreaks of infectious disease (it was taken out early last year long before any hint of Covid). We were covered up to €25 - out claim is just under €5k.

As we didn't want to rearrange due to the death of my Father, I had to supply his death certificate also, which I did.

They say they'll consider a claim under the death of a recent family member, but want me to supply his entire medical history records from the hospital and a letter from our local doctor. It's so distressing.

I've lodged a complaint and will be taking it to the ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

So our claim was declined - they stated a government act was not covered, but our policy clearly covers outbreaks of infectious disease (it was taken out early last year long before any hint of Covid). We were covered up to €25 - out claim is just under €5k.

As we didn't want to rearrange due to the death of my Father, I had to supply his death certificate also, which I did.

They say they'll consider a claim under the death of a recent family member, but want me to supply his entire medical history records from the hospital and a letter from our local doctor. It's so distressing.

I've lodged a complaint and will be taking it to the ombudsman.

Sorry for your loss Sheila. You have an awful lot on your plate at this time.

Was your claim with blue insurance? Wording looks the same as mine.

Our venue won't even talk to us so want to make a claim and just completely forget about that place.

• Advertisement

Our venue won't even talk to us so want to make a claim and just completely forget about that place.

Yes, blue insurance. I've also highlighted the issue to my local TD, as I'm sure it could affect a lot of couples. I got a response that it will be raised with the minister of finance, so I'll update as I get replies.
    I'm waiting on my complaint reference and response before I can lodge with the ombudsman.

Yes, blue insurance. I've also highlighted the issue to my local TD, as I'm sure it could affect a lot of couples. I got a response that it will be raised with the minister of finance, so I'll update as I get replies.
    I'm waiting on my complaint reference and response before I can lodge with the ombudsman.

Two local TDs gave come back to me. One has said she will raise the issue with the minister of finance and the other said they would be putting it to the government to step in and force insurers to pay out in Covid cancellation cases.
    Let's see where this goes.

I'd urge anyone else affected to contact their local TDs and raise it with them.

Two local TDs gave come back to me. One has said she will raise the issue with the minister of finance and the other said they would be putting it to the government to step in and force insurers to pay out in Covid cancellation cases.
    Let's see where this goes.

I'd urge anyone else affected to contact their local TDs and raise it with them.

Good luck, I'll contact mine too.

Someone was on Joe Duffy today giving out about it

Blue insurance won't even let me get as far as the claim form lol

Yes going to file a complaint, wait for response and then take it to the ombudsman if needs be.

I received a response back today from Blue/White Horse Insurance after lodging a complaint. They are still blatantly refusing to pay out on the claim for some non recoverable deposits despite having insurance pre-covid. So it's off to the ombudsman now.

Anyone else have any luck?

I received a response back today from Blue/White Horse Insurance after lodging a complaint. They are still blatantly refusing to pay out on the claim for some non recoverable deposits despite having insurance pre-covid. So it's off to the ombudsman now.

Anyone else have any luck?

Keep going, I received a settlement.
    They gave me my non-refundable deposits back in full and 1/3 of the cost of purchased items, but I got to keep them. (They said they would normally take possession in order to give full claim amount but couldn't do so a present.)
    They relented after I told them I was going public to the press, and the ombudsman and my local TDs.
    They made a huge mistake on my case though, so far as they denied my claim which was made due to Covid-19 Cancellation, but because I mentioned that the reason for not rescheduling was my father's death, they went on to advise I follow a claim under his death and requested his full medical history and letters from Doctors etc. Very upsetting and totally adding insult to injury.
    My case was passed to a higher manager in the end who offered me the above settlement.
    They were very clear that it was a 'good will settlement' and not a claim approval, but keep chasing, definitely don't give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Did anyone lodge a claim with white horse/wedding insurance. Ie since the above posts?

Sadly have to go down this route and take them on through claim/appeals and ombudsman.

Advertisement