Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Fair enough it does use just "batteries and motors" which have been around for years. You could say the Porsche 911 GT3 RS is just a car with an "engine and petrol". It's the delivery that makes them special. Ignoring the batteries etc name one other car you can walk out to in the morning and have brand new "options" for free? In the States because of the Tesla Supercharger Network you can realistically pay nothing for fuel. 100% free energy. Also the touchscreen in the car is not "laggy" at all, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sitec wrote: »
    Also the touchscreen in the car is not "laggy" at all, far from it.

Taxi driver in Amsterdam let me play with the screen in his cab and it worked great. Didn't seem slow or jumpy. Pretty cool to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Sitec wrote: »
    Also the touchscreen in the car is not "laggy" at all, far from it.

I'm starting to look like a tesla hater but for 100 grand I'd rather have something better than a cheap android tablet which looks like it browses the internet about as smoothly as a first generation ipod touch did

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm starting to look like a tesla hater but for 100 grand I'd rather have something better than a cheap android tablet which looks like it browses the internet about as smoothly as a first generation ipod touch did

Having been around Tesla quite abit, I have to say, in comparison to my 6S, you can noticed a difference in screen quality and speed. Its not much, but its enough to make me uneasy. I also have to say that overall, the car doesn't feel well built from a finish perspective. Under the hood, it is impressive however and the hardware perspective is very impressive.

Like Steve Jobs and Apple, you aren't buying 'the best' or the most cutting edge, you're buying a lifestyle and its what Jobs was particularly good at. Tesla and Musk are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I have seen one in Kilkenny earlier this year ...

20151223_115517_edit_1450904378755.jpg

also like a month ago I saw a 151-C-xxxx dark blue in Lidl Car park in Cork (Togher). Saw it like 3 times alltogether in traffic before and after that, not sure if it was the same. Anyway I was talking to the owner of the car, he was sound so we had a quick chat about it. He was just about to put his shopping in the car. The rear boot is quite big and with the front one as well there is plenty of space for everything. Very quiet car, range something over 400km. 70 000 euros?

Not many people recognize this car and know what it is. The owner agreed with me. I am into cars so I saw it from the distance and knew straight away it's a Tesla Model S, when I was pulling into the car park. It's a bit similar to a Jaguar XF I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Saw one of the new Model X yesterday with the gull wing doors. A guy in work traded in his Model S... Looked very nice I have to say. Will take a pic if I can...

The Model S is an amazing car and puts most ICE makers to shame.

I've driven the Leaf 35,300 kms since last January, really great car to drive with Eco turned off of course and it's 104 HP rating is very deceiving. It's a fun car on back roads and climbs the steepest hills you can find like they're nothing.

Getting back into a manual Diesel is not a pleasant experience, I greatly appreciate having power instantly, makes any ICE feel ultra laggy and slow especially a manual. Even a DSG can't compare to the instant availability of power.

I have not yet given someone a drive in the Leaf or let drive it that was not very impressed even the most die hard ICE fans.

So before people just knock electrics for the sake of it go and drive one even a normal average car like the Leaf.

For a normal average car the Leaf has by far exceeded my expectations. Never mind the cost to run electrics, forget about that because even if they cost the same as petrol or diesel to run there is still no way in hell I'd go back to an ICE car.

2018 isn't far away and the 300-350 km range Leaf should be available though at what cost who knows and other longer range electrics to follow.

In Ireland so far this year the Leaf is out selling many models such as the Citroen C3, C4, Fiat 500, Audi Q3, Q5 , Passat Estate etc to name just a few, this is not a bad achievement for an electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The Model S is an amazing car and puts most ICE makers to shame.

I've driven the Leaf 35,300 kms since last January, really great car to drive with Eco turned off of course and it's 104 HP rating is very deceiving. It's a fun car on back roads and climbs the steepest hills you can find like they're nothing.

Getting back into a manual Diesel is not a pleasant experience, I greatly appreciate having power instantly, makes any ICE feel ultra laggy and slow especially a manual. Even a DSG can't compare to the instant availability of power.

I have not yet given someone a drive in the Leaf or let drive it that was not very impressed even the most die hard ICE fans.

So before people just knock electrics for the sake of it go and drive one even a normal average car like the Leaf.

For a normal average car the Leaf has by far exceeded my expectations. Never mind the cost to run electrics, forget about that because even if they cost the same as petrol or diesel to run there is still no way in hell I'd go back to an ICE car.

2018 isn't far away and the 300-350 km range Leaf should be available though at what cost who knows and other longer range electrics to follow.

In Ireland so far this year the Leaf is out selling many models such as the Citroen C3, C4, Fiat 500, Audi Q3, Q5 , Passat Estate etc to name just a few, this is not a bad achievement for an electric car.

If you think the Tesla is so amazing maybe you might want to discuss it. Because I don't want to read you ranting on about the fecking leaf.

Because I don't want to read you ranting on about the fecking leaf.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6EkdGS3G-89nL0KudQ7zJXFeTCofNxK4vPTD4FeXY6JQF11j4ig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Well done, you managed to post something that wasn't about the Leaf.

Seriously, you've how many Leaf threads started at this stage? Your post had nothing to do with the Model S and was just the most flimsy excuse for another one of your Leaf sermons. You bang on about the Leaf so much that I suspect you're the reason EV forum has basically been quarantined away from the rest of the motoring forum. Please stop. You're a terrible advocate for EVs.

• Advertisement

Well done, you managed to post something that wasn't about the Leaf.

Seriously, you've how many Leaf threads started at this stage? Your post had nothing to do with the Model S and was just the most flimsy excuse for another one of your Leaf sermons. You bang on about the Leaf so much that I suspect you're the reason EV forum has basically been quarantined away from the rest of the motoring forum. Please stop. You're a terrible advocate for EVs.

longer-range-nissan-leaf-4cd5c996.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All that picture goes to prove is that it looks even uglier than it already is when it's painted brown.

Oh I'm so offended. :D

happy ?

Tesla_Model_S_digital_panels.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

happy ?
    Do you think you could make that image just a bit bigger, I can hardly see it :rolleyes::cool:

Much like the Dacia Duster, discussion of the Nissan Leaf makes the most sane of people go mental. I for one welcome the fuel of yesterday making a return in cars like the Leaf, Zoe and Tesla. It's good to see a shake up happen in motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think the best thing about an electric car would be not having to wait for the engine to warm up. I take the long way round to the dual carriageway because otherwise I'd be doing a 0-100 run within a minute of starting the car. It would be nice to be able to just go straight there and get up to speed quickly to merge without feeling bad for ragging the engine while it's still freezing cold. I could see myself getting an electric car for that reason because of all of my really short trips. But for long trips I don't think I could do the having to plan ahead and pull in to charge thing. I suppose that wouldn't really be an issue with the tesla because of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The wider public are beginning to have a real interest in EV's.
    Once a number of models have further range 2/300 miles, they will take off. Excuse the pathetic pun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Water John wrote: »
    The wider public are beginning to have a real interest in EV's.
    Once a number of models have further range 2/300 miles, they will take off. Excuse the pathetic pun.

Hopefully since Tesla get lithium direct from the mine into their gigafactory in Nevada they will be ones to get the price point down so the public take-up of EV increases.

I'd love autopilot to be fully autonomous for driving home after night shift, its really dangerous and has to be up there with drink driving.

Driving home after some shifts and I'm thinking to myself , Jesus, I wouldn't feel this bad after a pint or two or a glass of wine.

Definitely if they could make cars drive with no human intervention it would be superb for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd love autopilot to be fully autonomous for driving home after night shift, its really dangerous and has to be up there with drink driving.

Driving home after some shifts and I'm thinking to myself , Jesus, I wouldn't feel this bad after a pint or two or a glass of wine.

Definitely if they could make cars drive with no human intervention it would be superb for me.

If I knew that my car was driving me home without any interaction from me as a driver id be more awake than Jesus after the resurrection.

bear1 wrote: »

If I knew that my car was driving me home without any interaction from me as a driver id be more awake than Jesus after the resurrection.
    I'd be too tired to care lol.

I drove the Brothers A4 DSG with the Auto Cruise and it scared the crap out of me at first but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

That iPad type display is just wrong! Look at the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My grandfather was an alcoholic before people exactly knew what that was. The horse would bring him home from the pub. That's old technology Mad Lad!!!

Water John wrote: »
    My grandfather was an alcoholic before people exactly knew what that was. The horse would bring him home from the pub. That's old technology Mad Lad!!!
    LOL well, I sure wouldn't care what got me home as long as I could get a bit of kip or at least not have to worry about forcing myself to stay awake.

Seriously though you shouldn't be driving if that is the case as it does account for a large amount of fatal RTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Phil.x wrote: »
    That iPad type display is just wrong! Look at the size of it.

Would you like it smaller? So it doesn't display as much info and is therefore less useful while driving?

Or, maybe, touchscreens are the future? Instead of having a button for everything?

aphex™ wrote: »
    Would you like it smaller? So it doesn't display as much info and is therefore less useful while driving?

Or, maybe, touchscreens are the future? Instead of having a button for everything?
    I'd actually prefer buttons and dials as they are easier, quicker and don't require you to look at them for more than brief period while driving, even then you get used to their position quickly and don't need to look at them after a short while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

aphex™ wrote: »

Touch screens were the future in 2006 before the iPhone. Now they are old hat and it's time for a change to direct neural interfaces or if those aren't feasible yet then its time to dig up some old input method from the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Touch screens have their place, but for regularly used functions, mostly heating and cooling I have yet to see one that isn't a dangerous gimmick. You can't beat analogue for some controls, even if it is not sexy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement