Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Lost Family

Options
  • 01-06-2020 10:08pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone watch tonight?

Amazing story of 2 people who were both foundlings. One left near a police station outside Belfast, the other left in a phone box in Dundalk 6 years later. Both in tartan bags.

They turn out to be full siblings. Found through DNA testing.

Parents both lived in Dublin - he was married with 14 kids, she was his secret girlfriend - together for decades.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry I missed it.

I gave up watching the regular series as it had all become a bit too formulaic - a bit rinse, wash, repeat.

But I did see the trailer for this one and thought it had the potential to be good.

Glad to see it delivered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I watched it, and watched it again on +1

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LennieB

Yes, it was an amazing story. So glad they got answers but such a pity they never got to meet their birthmother.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cocopops

Such a sad story tonight.

God love the two of them.

I wonder did the mother hope the red tartan bag would help connect the two foundlings so they would find each other a lot sooner than they did. It’s strange that coincidence was overlooked for so long!

Their birth mother died in 2017 - I wonder what year Helen was on the Joe Duffy's Liveline. Just thinking, her mother may have been alive at the time of Joe's program - then again maybe she was not aware of it, she was aged 90 in 2017.

• Advertisement

Their birth mother died in 2017 - I wonder what year Helen was on the Joe Duffy's Liveline. Just thinking, her mother may have been alive at the time of Joe's program - then again maybe she was not aware of it, she was aged 90 in 2017.

She was on Liveline on her 44th birthday which would have been 2012 ( hope I have that right, think she was born 1968)

cocopops wrote: »
    God love the two of them.

Sadly, it's thanks to "God's love" and the way it was enforced in Ireland that many mothers weren't able to hold onto their children. Mine had two taken from her and had to fight the local priest to hold onto a third.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terribly sad programme and I agree, if I had been an RUC officer dealing with the 1962 case, the one in Dundalk in 1968 should have rung bells. Unless perhaps there were very many abandoned children then and I'm looking at it from today's perspective where such things are thankfully relatively rare?

Clearly the couple were still in touch quite a while after the children were abandoned. So sad they had to keep their relationship and children secret.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It was an amazing story.

Some further observations:

I thought they made too much of the Protestant/RC angle. Many couples were of different denominations in Dublin and it was fine. It was like they were playing it for a UK audience who think Northern Ireland's problems are ours too.

They should have thrown in a couple of sentences telling that UK audience that divorce was illegal until 1996, contraception was difficult to get if you weren't married until the 1990s and that abortion was only legalised two years ago.

The fact that neither parent was named means nothing in our small country. I bet we could easily establish both parents' names with only a bit of effort. Someone will know where that Kerry graveyard is. Someone would have recognised a photo of a "well-known showband leader with 14 children".

Genealogy Forum Mod

The geography of the story is fascinating - both birthparents based in Dublin but siblings were left in Belfast and Dundalk, I wonder why.
    It would have been a long drive in those days, (no motorway) - wonder who drive that journey and who knew. Then to find out the birthmother actually came from the other end of the country in Co Kerry.
    The tartan bag was also interesting, whether it was used to make a connection (although doesn't seem that was considered) or it was a bag that was available to him, maybe sold in his business or something.
    At least they are in contact with some of their half-siblings, will give them more information.

• Advertisement

I wonder could his showband career have facilitated the dropping off of the babies?

Though in the Dundalk case, the truck driver who found Helen said he saw a woman get into a car.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Tonight's Episode - 2 June, 9pm ITV,

"A man nicknamed Oliver Twist by hospital staff after he was left by his birth mother in a corned beef box at a Railway Tavern learns he has six full siblings in Long Lost Family: Born Without Trace. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Did anyone watch tonight?

Amazing story of 2 people who were both foundlings. One left near a police station outside Belfast, the other left in a phone box in Dundalk 6 years later. Both in tartan bags.

They turn out to be full siblings. Found through DNA testing.

Parents both lived in Dublin - he was married with 14 kids, she was his secret girlfriend - together for decades.

Is there online anywhere to watch? I read about the story but would ike to watch if possible

ITV Hub but I'm not sure that's available in the Republic (without a VPN).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Is there online anywhere to watch? I read about the story but would ike to watch if possible

Here’s the link on YouTube (I got a message about restricted access when I clicked on link but I just opened the YouTube app and it worked fine)

https://youtu.be/Gh8x6ZGW0Xk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

LennieB wrote: »
    Here’s the link on YouTube (I got a message about restricted access when I clicked on link but I just opened the YouTube app and it worked fine)

https://youtu.be/Gh8x6ZGW0Xk

Cool, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Would love to know where in Kerry the mother was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Looked at an episode of the current series last night.
    Struck me that DNA has moved on so much since this program started about 10 years ago.
    With the advances in DNA and the amount of people sampled now, it is possible to get really meaningful leads on both sides of an individual's family. I think that people searching for their birth parents will get somewhere in the future.

Unfortunately, despite all the advances to date it's still possible not to get really meaningful leads.
    We're at the mercy of our matches and if close matches don't get tested all the advances in the world count for naught.

I tested with Ancestry several years ago and despite subsequently uploading same to four other databases I still have no meaningful matches that will help me identify my birth father.

In all of my thousands of matches there are only five of them that share more than 100cM's with me and only two of them are what I would describe as meaningful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On now - New "Long Lost Family" started 9pm Monday 23 May

ITV - Sky 103

• Advertisement

I watched it. VG.

Not sure if you're in the UK, but Sky doesn't have ITV/UTV on the planner here in Ireland. I had to tune it in on 'other channels' and it cannot be recorded or paused.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Nah, I'm rooted here in the auld sod

Episode 2 tonight and 3 tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I haven't watched LLF for quite a while. I stopped in the early days of it as it just made me cry. Can't cope with that every week.

It is a bit of a tearjerker.

Genealogy Forum Mod

When I watch programmes like this I'm more prone to anger than tears at the lack of compassion of times past that led to so much unnecessary suffering.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Tonight's ITV1 9pm, "Long Lost Family" has Irish interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

This one gave me an overwhelming sense of sadness, and also anger. I suppose they thought when the children were 'adopted' they had dealt with 'Ireland's shame', but the shame was their own. The thing that made me gasp was when one of the men had the receipts for all the the ten bobs his mother had paid them for taking care of him, which was paid even after he had already been adopted. Beggars belief!!

Advertisement