Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy mesh silage cover

Options
  • 22-05-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Doe anyone have one of these?What are the names of them, what price and who sells them. My pit is 42' wide by 100'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Grueller wrote: »
    Doe anyone have one of these?What are the names of them, what price and who sells them. My pit is 42' wide by 100'.

Only got two the other day, off a friend. We chopped and pitted our beet. They seem excellent and no birds and didn't have to put many tyres on it.

https://www.rhino-products.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Any idea of price?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Hermetix cover? I don't know price, glanbia have them ( from a check on website)

Trying to put on 2 covers this weekend will be mental hard with just plastic. The heavier cover would take out a lot of the difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Grueller wrote: »

I'm thinking of trying this next year ..one cling film first then normal plastic then the green netting and a lot less tyres ..I'm sick of tyres and crows.im also thinking of putting a line of concrete Lego blocks just one row alongside one side of the pit and have all plastic rolled out and then rolled up and just left inside the blocks so silage then holds plastic in place.
    When pit is full then just pull plastic over...am I mad ??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

Anyone used the cling film before - is it a good job or not worth the hassle?

OH use 2 layers of plastic on the pit and cuts the plastic off as he opens the pit back so don't think the heavy netting would work as he'd have to roll it back as he'd open the pit - one man operation.

Edit: just found others talking about it on another thread here - Hermetix silage covers

nhg wrote: »
    Anyone used the cling film before - is it a good job or not worth the hassle?

OH use 2 layers of plastic on the pit and cuts the plastic off as he opens the pit back so don't think the heavy netting would work as he'd have to roll it back as he'd open the pit - one man operation.

Definitely worth using like it actually clings to the pit and it's not dear ...just cut it off during the winter then and save/roll ur heavy covers then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Maizetech in Wexford.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Maizetech in Wexford.

Jaysus sure he is only over the road. Never thought of him. Thanks Timmay, only downside is that the pit is covered now til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

richie123 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying this next year ..one cling film first then normal plastic then the green netting and a lot less tyres ..I'm sick of tyres and crows.im also thinking of putting a line of concrete Lego blocks just one row alongside one side of the pit and have all plastic rolled out and then rolled up and just left inside the blocks so silage then holds plastic in place.
    When pit is full then just pull plastic over...am I mad ??:)

Nope. That’s the way you should be doing it IMO

• Advertisement

Nope. That’s the way you should be doing it IMO

Kinda copying the silage/safe system of doing except they use straps and absolutely no tyres.
    Maintains there's absolutely no waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Never knew these systems existed! I'm guessing the first layer is key to the silage not going off? Otherwise air would get in? How does this compare to Silage mats? Just finished covering two silage pits and grow to hate the waste of silage covers and hassle of tyres more and more every year
    https://www.nrrubberproducts.com/imported-products/silage-mat

rounders wrote: »
    Never knew these systems existed! I'm guessing the first layer is key to the silage not going off? Otherwise air would get in? How does this compare to Silage mats? Just finished covering two silage pits and grow to hate the waste of silage covers and hassle of tyres more and more every year

Don't talk to me covering silage pits especially in windy days is a nightmare.
    Silage safe systems have a very interesting way though expensive way of covering pits without tyres.worth googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

rounders wrote: »

So do I, until I open a round bale and spend 15 minutes trying to pull all the mouldy bits out of it. That's when I rediscover my love for the pit.

Advertisement