Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You can have temperature controls display down the bottom of the screen within easy reach which is easy to remember and learn so it's not dangerous at all. See image here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

aphex™ wrote: »
    You can have temperature controls display down the bottom of the screen within easy reach which is easy to remember and learn so it's not dangerous at all. See image here.

In my current car I can reach down without looking, turn the dial to increase or decrease heat to full or off in 1 second. No way can you do that with that display, and worse that its mounted so low, your eyes are off the road for far too long. You've basically lost all sense of feel, and are depending entirely on visual cues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭kirving

Touchscreens are fine for the passenger, but as a driver they require you to take your eyes off the road, no question about it.

The same is true for some of the controls on my car which are on the smaller side.

The main ones can be done blind though , and if I do have to look, my eyes don't have to adjust to a bright screen at night time, and everything is just a single click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

In my current car I can reach down without looking, turn the dial to increase or decrease heat to full or off in 1 second. No way can you do that with that display, and worse that its mounted so low, your eyes are off the road for far too long. You've basically lost all sense of feel, and are depending entirely on visual cues.

Your current car probably has a heater dial. But the Tesla has a temperature button on the screen so it would automatically adjust how much heat is required to reach/keep the selected cabin temperature e.g. 21 degrees celcius. You would probably just select one temperature and tell it to stay there. For weeks.

Subtle difference, but changes things a lot when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Your current car probably has a heater dial. But the Tesla has a temperature button on the screen so it would automatically adjust how much heat is required to reach/keep the selected cabin temperature e.g. 21 degrees celcius. You would probably just select one temperature and tell it to stay there. For weeks.

You're describing climate control. Plenty of cars have it with dials. Both of our does. Agreed on the Tesla's touchscreen. It always struck me as something out of MTVs pimp my ride. It just looks like an aftermarket solution. The xc90 has a much nicer cabin, but the unit can be fairly glitchy. That's not to say touch screens don't have their place. Both out our have them as well. But things like hevac controls should always be physical.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Seriously though you shouldn't be driving if that is the case as it does account for a large amount of fatal RTA

Indeed but I don't live close to work so not much I can do, there are many people in the same situation.

This is where I strongly believe fully autonomous cars would greatly improve safety on the roads. It would be good for those who like to text while driving also. :D

If I felt that bad that I think I'm going to fall asleep I'd pull in the danger is falling asleep before you realise you need to pull in ! :eek:

I agree, that touchscreen which looks fabulous, is too full of menus and gadgets that it is a major distraction. The more to distract the more you're not concentrating on the road, it just takes a second or less loss of concentration to have a potential fatal collision. Though if the car can stop itself then maybe it's not s bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

My car does have climate but the truth is that few really uses it as you describe, you fire it up max in the morning, dial it down after a few mins, kids in the back are too cold so you adjust it again, and so on.

It is form/fashion over function no question. Ergonomics used to be much valued and respected in car design, not so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

My car does have climate but the truth is that few really uses it as you describe, you fire it up max in the morning, dial it down after a few mins, kids in the back are too cold so you adjust it again, and so on.

Few use it as he described because they don't understand how it works. There is no need to 'fire it up max'. CC will not heat/cool a cab any quicker just because you've over/ under dialed the temperature setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Teslafan

Hi All,

Long time lurker and have seen a few posts recently of lads looking at secondhand Tesla’s in Irish dealers etc.

I have a Sep 2018 Tesla Model S, 75D Blue, Premium pack inc High Fidelity sound, Enhanced Autopilot, half leather, silver ‘19 slipstream wheels, 20kms.

It’s been well looked after with a full set of rubber mats,
    frunk / bootliner and GuardX.

I imported it from the UK myself and I’m considering moving it on as I’m not driving it and I’ve had a change in circumstances.

If anyone is interested here PM me, I may consider a suitable trade in up to around 15K.

Thanks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

Wrong thread. Theres three active Tesla threads and a for sale thread in the EV section, try there

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

has anyone had much look negotiating money off a price of a used model s from any of the non tesla garages in the uk, i know teslas website is a fixed price, if something is priced around 35k, would 5-10% be a reasonable expectation to negotiate off the advertised price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

has anyone had much look negotiating money off a price of a used model s from any of the non tesla garages in the uk, i know teslas website is a fixed price, if something is priced around 35k, would 5-10% be a reasonable expectation to negotiate off the advertised price?

In my experience the English won’t haggle at all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not in the UK no.
    The UK have accurate book values on used cars and small margins in general.

I’ve bought many cars in the UK over the years and a couple of hundred is all you can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gumbo wrote: »
    Not in the UK no.
    The UK have accurate book values on used cars and small margins in general.

I’ve bought many cars in the UK over the years and a couple of hundred is all you can expect.
    I couldnt even get them to move at all in uk when looking at bmws.
    Its a different game to here where everyone has room to discount on straight sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement