Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plants

Options
  • 31-05-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

I have 3 each of piccollo cherry tomato and marmande tomato plants, seem to be doing well so far. They're outside during the day for the past week but get brought in at night. I currently have the cherry's in pots that are maybe 11" wide by 10" deep, I'm hoping these are big enough to keep them in?

The marmandes need to be repotted, I'm wondering should I put them into a bigger pot and keep bringing them in at night or put them straight into a growbag outside? I don't have a greenhouse but my garden is a suntrap and gets the sun all day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd pot up all bush types to be honest, even though marmandes are hefty. Unless you can lash up some sort of cover frame (plastic sheet and bamboo) for them in windy or cold weather. Or buy one of those cheapo Lidl type jobs, if it last two years that'll do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'd pot up all bush types to be honest, even though marmandes are hefty. Unless you can lash up some sort of cover frame (plastic sheet and bamboo) for them in windy or cold weather. Or buy one of those cheapo Lidl type jobs, if it last two years that'll do!

Cheers ill have a look see if I can find one, I was looking at them in aldi a few weeks ago too but decided against it!

What do you reckon tomatoes would class as too cold to be outside without cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not sure to be honest, you'd really hope any chance of a frost has passed at this stage but cool temps will stunt growth if prolonged. A cover will make the most of the direct sun light and probably be worth an extra 7-10 degrees C

We're a bit protected for cooler weather at the moment as soil temps are well above average but that's only useful if the toms are planted in the earth not a pot or grow bag.

Advertisement