Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Marathon 2020

Options
  • 16-12-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Well folks, let's see if we can drum up a bit of interest in this. I am about 80% mind made up for May 31st next year. The time of the year, while it can get a bit warm on race day, is absolutely ideal for training. Probably the best 3 months of the year: March, April and May for specific marathon prep. The course is fair, not completely flat but predominantly so and you have a day or two to celebrate afterwards.

Who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I'm going to do this in 2020, early bird of €60 till the end of 2019. I've done the half the last couple of years. I was looking at different spring marathons but may as well do the local one and save on accomadation.

Hopefully I'll come out of Donadea in February ok, take a few weeks easy and do a 12 week plan for the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Entered with two friends, one who will run it faster than me by probably 30 odd mins (I hope to do it in around 4-20ish, ran Dublin in 4-29) and one friend who will walk the 1/2.
    Only snag will be doing the training by myself, did all the Dublin training with a group. Learned a lot from Dublin (couple of years since my last full) and so hope to take advantage of the lessons both from the training (slow run pace) and the race itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I've run the half with a buddy of mine the last few years so will see what his plan is this time round. If he's not taking part then will probably do the full thing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Itziger wrote: »
    Well folks, let's see if we can drum up a bit of interest in this. I am about 80% mind made up for May 31st next year. The time of the year, while it can get a bit warm on race day, is absolutely ideal for training. Probably the best 3 months of the year: March, April and May for specific marathon prep. The course is fair, not completely flat but predominantly so and you have a day or two to celebrate afterwards.

Who's in?

I think i might do this, hopefully get past centre park road this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

noelearly wrote: »
    I think i might do this, hopefully get past centre park road this time.

The 2020 version of you should be ok! Do you fancy a pacing gig?

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    The 2020 version of you should be ok! Do you fancy a pacing gig?

What's the magic target? You can show me the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone got a link to the profile of the half?

From my Garmin watch last year.

503442.png

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I've signed up for the marathon - back up for London in case it goes the way of Paris, Rome etc.

If London goes ahead i'll race that and still do Cork for the craic. Last did the full in 2014 so will be good to get reacquainted with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I am getting loads of emails from them.
    It would be good if they could clarify their refund policy if it gets cancelled. Seems weird that you can cancel holiday bookings but not running entries.

• Advertisement

echancrure wrote: »
    I am getting loads of emails from them.
    It would be good if they could clarify their refund policy if it gets cancelled. Seems weird that you can cancel holiday bookings but not running entries.

Well can we see this going ahead?

Personally think it's 50/50. Things are looking better here, other sports seem to be planning. I suppose insurance purposes might be holding things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

noelearly wrote: »
    Well can we see this going ahead?

Personally think it's 50/50. Things are looking better here, other sports seem to be planning. I suppose insurance purposes might be holding things up.

The other sports are planning for behind closed doors. I cant see how it goes ahead.

You couldn't have supporters and you would need to change the format of the race so no mass starts.

Considering Cork cant even organise a decent goodie bag I highly doubt they can pull off some masterplan for the race to go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Just got an email that it’s been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

brevity wrote: »
    Just got an email that it’s been cancelled.

See
    https://www.96fm.ie/news/96fm-news-and-sport/2020-cork-city-marathon-cancelled/
    :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sad to see it go but on the plus side at least this year's expo will be infinitely better than previous years

Was supposed to be running the half marathon with a friend today. Figured why not do it myself anyway so set off from Albert Road earlier on & covered all of the route bar the bit out the Link Road, that just looked a bit too crazy :)

It would have been a warm enough day for it with a little bit of wind as well.

opus wrote: »
    Was supposed to be running the half marathon with a friend today. Figured why not do it myself anyway so set off from Albert Road earlier on & covered all of the route bar the bit out the Link Road, that just looked a bit too crazy :)

It would have been a warm enough day for it with a little bit of wind as well.

It would have been a scorcher, very tempting to sit beside a tree on centre park road. Again

Advertisement