Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed - Old house no septic tank

Options
  • 30-05-2020 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Looking for advice regarding septic tank.
    We are looking to purchase and restore a lovely old farmhouse on 0.5 acre site however there is no septic tank. I have looked into planning applications within the immediate vicinity and was disappointed to find that a new build approx 200m away was refused planning a few years ago for a few reasons but one being septic tank.
    "The site is located on an important aquifer with extreme vulnerability. In an are of 250m diameter there are approx 12-15 wastewater treatment systems all discharging to groundwater. There is bound to be a plume of contaminated groundwater which would eventually contribute to the nutrients entering surface water.... the direction of groundwater flow in a karst area is hard to determine but some of the groundwater is likely to be flowing to ABC Lough which is the main water supply to the area and needs to be protected".

Have we any hope in hell getting permission for a septic tank or alternative?? We have been looking for this type of house for such a long time, it is our dream home and we plan to preserve the stone house and outbuildings. I do not want to go through the hassle, heartache and cost of purchasing 'subject to planning permission' if it will be refused. BTW there is already an offer on the house without subject to planning condition so I'm wondering if those guys know something we don't.... any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you can get another half acre a zero discharge willow system might work.

This is old but useful.

http://www.siteassessor.com/blog/zero-discharge-willow-system-seminar-conclusions-91.html

I would approach council, Irish Water and ZDWS suppliers for advice and precedents.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ClareBear1

Thanks Lumen. Interesting. We wouldn't be able to afford additional 0.5 acre though. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can you find any refurbs in the area. They should be dealt with differently compared to new builds.
    Best advice is to give local planning agent a small few euro to look and advise and possibly consult with planners for you.

Given the complete lack of septic tank, can you buy subject to plsnning being granted for a septic tank.

Can't find a refurb in the area that didn't already have a septic tank. There's already an offer in without subject to PP so we may lose out to them as seller does not want to wait around for PP to go through. How long do you think it would take to hire planning agent and consult planners? Would we have time prior to sale going through?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

ClareBear1 wrote: »
    Can't find a refurb in the area that didn't already have a septic tank. There's already an offer in without subject to PP so we may lose out to them as seller does not want to wait around for PP to go through. How long do you think it would take to hire planning agent and consult planners? Would we have time prior to sale going through?

Out of interest - what options would the council have when it comes to approving planning? Leave the house to rot? Or allow someone to renovate and install a septic tank? It sounds like whoever is going to but the house will need to fit a septic tank anyway.

Surely they would not prefer to see the house crumble away?

I purchased a run down 60's bungalow in a scenic area and I got the impression that the council would have allowed me to do anything within reason as it was better than leaving it the way it was.

• Advertisement

I dont know but I would not like to risk 100k to find out the answer....

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Is this house livable now (no matter how rough)? Or has it been lived in recently?

If so - where is the sewage going?

tedimc wrote: »
    Is this house livable now (no matter how rough)? Or has it been lived in recently?

If so - where is the sewage going?

Not livable, can't go upstairs as first floor is rotting. No one can tell us where sewage had been going. There are sheds and out houses, architect has advised us that there could be an issue with new septic tank and space on the site as you have to be so far away from boundary, structures etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

hello Clarebear,

can I ask what you did? I am in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

ClareBear1 wrote: »
    Not livable, can't go upstairs as first floor is rotting. No one can tell us where sewage had been going. There are sheds and out houses, architect has advised us that there could be an issue with new septic tank and space on the site as you have to be so far away from boundary, structures etc?

I'm sure what happens alot in this situation is someone with cash (ie doesn't need all the paper work for the banks) will buy it and put in a septic tank etc and renovate what's there without telling the council, then years later they will apply for retention on anything they added on during the renovation and say the tank was there all along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement