Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shattered middle pane triple glaze

• 19-05-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope this is the right forum for my question.....
    We got triple glaze windows in our house refurb a few years ago. This weekend we arrived home from a walk and the middle pane of a ground floor window had a shattered centre pane (middle of triple glaze). No sign of impact, no dead bird, no house alarm sounding, elderly neighbours so no stray ball, not a mark on the window or outside. Rang the company this morning as the panes have a 10 year warranty and was a bit surprised that it was not covered. Was I naive to think it would be? I just assumed that it was caused by an impurity in the glass that cause a spontaneous shatter. The windows are in nearly 5 years. They said it would have been caused by an impact but it could have been an impact ages ago that caused it now. Would be interested to see if anyone had experience with this sort of thing.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hope you dont mind me using this existing thread.

We have a shattered triple glazed pane, but know the cause..A flying stone :D

Had a similar pane go the same way a few years ago, which has been replaced. In hindsight the installer didnt fill me with confidence about the replacement. For example on really frosty mornings, the original manufacturer glazed pane would fog up; from reading online I got the impression this implied its insulation characteristic whereas our replacement doesn't do the same.

Anyhow thats water under the bridge. The previous post links in a prior thread, which describes triple glazed coming in different specifications, ie

"...triple glazed, argon/krypton filled and coated, etc. etc. from the manufacturer"

So the advice I'm looking for is what specifications I should be considering to get a quality replacement installed and, I would appreciate (via PM) any window installer (i'm located in Kildare) who is reliable and explain/advice the most appropriate replacement.

Thanks
    W.

PS: The windows were purchased aboard, so really need a local installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Contact Carey's in nenagh who most likely will be making the pane anyway and ask them for the spec you want.
    The installer will just install and wont be arsed about a spec

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Contact Carey's in nenagh who most likely will be making the pane anyway and ask them for the spec you want.
    The installer will just install and wont be arsed about a spec

Thanks for that... Gave them a ring, but they weren't really interested in assisting with info once they knew I was just a consumer 😢, just suggested I find a local installer? So if anyone has experience of a reliable installer of triple glazing covering the east coast, please drop me a PM, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks W

Advertisement