Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rospa Test

Options
  • 22-05-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

So I want to go for my rospa test - anyone on here done it recently (some of the threads I found were 5 yrs old. What is the procedure for doing it - any tips of info welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I did it a few weeks ago. You book your test on-line and the tester rings you a few days later and arranges a mutually suitable time. You meet up at the Maxol in Templeouge and go through the POWDERS check. Then the tester (Mick) explains the route and off you go.

Basically you do a loop around the area then head out towards Firhouse, Brittas, Saggart, Naas Rd, M50 back to the Maxol. Stick religiously to the speed limits and ride to the system of motorcycle control and its no bother. Get the Police Riders handbook if you can and stick to the principles of that.

Best advice would be to try and talk to a ROSPA instructor as they are the one best qualified to offer advice on the actual riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

veetwin wrote: »
    I did it a few weeks ago. You book your test on-line and the tester rings you a few days later and arranges a mutually suitable time. You meet up at the Maxol in Templeouge and go through the POWDERS check. Then the tester (Mick) explains the route and off you go.

Basically you do a loop around the area then head out towards Firhouse, Brittas, Saggart, Naas Rd, M50 back to the Maxol. Stick religiously to the speed limits and ride to the system of motorcycle control and its no bother. Get the Police Riders handbook if you can and stick to the principles of that.

Best advice would be to try and talk to a ROSPA instructor as they are the one best qualified to offer advice on the actual riding.

Cheers VTwin

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I have recertified last November. Pretty much as described above. I did my training with IART, a volunteer group officially affiliated with RoSPA, see http://www.rospaiart.ie/. Costs €25 for the year and well worth the effort, both in terms of preparation for the exam and general learning.

Training and testing is currently on hold, hopefully to resume in mid-July in line with phase 4 of the Covid plans. However, if you are volunteering your riding services to the likes of Blood Bikes or something similar you can get a test arranged as long as it is a requirement to your volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Rafal wrote: »
    I have recertified last November. Pretty much as described above. I did my training with IART, a volunteer group officially affiliated with RoSPA, see http://www.rospaiart.ie/. Costs €25 for the year and well worth the effort, both in terms of preparation for the exam and general learning.

Training and testing is currently on hold, hopefully to resume in mid-July in line with phase 4 of the Covid plans. However, if you are volunteering your riding services to the likes of Blood Bikes or something similar you can get a test arranged as long as it is a requirement to your volunteering.

What are the other advantages of getting this certification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Training is on hold. Testing is going ahead as normal. For me the reason I did it is that I was over 10 years off the bike and wanted to reassure myself I was still doing all the right things. My insurance was renewed in February but I would hope that next year I might be able to negotiate a better discount as a Rospa rider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

newmember? wrote: »
    What are the other advantages of getting this certification?

I've now done mine 3 times (you resit it every 3 years). I originally did it as I knew it existed, but after a small off on my bike I was spitting fire that it happened and shouldn't have and after prevaricating for so long went off and did it in Galway. Subsequently that opened doors to me to riding for Blood Bike West and then BikeMarshals.ie and that has turned into a great social aspect to the whole thing.

For me, my riding is changed completely. When I think about it.........I didn't know how 'bad' some of my habits were until I did it.

It's safer primarily, but I also find it makes riding simpler, more comfortable, less stressful. Which is more enjoyable. 99% of bikers like honing their skills, and so I've found the sense of purpose adds to motorcycling even more.

From a nuts & bolts point of view you pick up good skills, from a financial point of view you get insurance discount(s), and from a safety point of view......it helps with self-preservation - always a ++ :pac:

Not sure where you're based, but there's the mentions above, plus
    Munster Advanced Riders if you're down that way. https://munsterriders.ie/

In the West there's Rob at West Coast Motorcycle Training : http://westcoastmotorcycletraining.com/

Anything else, ask away.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Just applied for the test there - will see how it goes. Just need to practice now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Doing the test is on my long list of things to do, nonetheless I’ll get around to it, I purchased this over the weekend to kick off the whole process.

Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0117081884/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pd7YEbG753NQP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Rafal wrote: »

I found it almost impossible to contact IART the last time I tried and just gave up.

zubair wrote: »
    I found it almost impossible to contact IART the last time I tried and just gave up.

where are you based ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

lennymc wrote: »
    Just applied for the test there - will see how it goes. Just need to practice now...

If I rode like an angry copper was behind me would I pass this Lenny?

No comment h_lime....

Lol, was I that bad?

Ah yaed wanna see me now tho!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Might sound like a stupid question, But can ROSPA be done before you have done your driving test?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Lol, was I that bad?

no comment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    where are you based ?

I'm in Newbridge, Kildare.

myclist wrote: »
    Might sound like a stupid question, But can ROSPA be done before you have done your driving test?

You mean whilst still on a learner permit ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

That's what im asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

No is the answer. The examiner will want to see licence and ins. on test
    TBH it is makes more sense to get some experience under your wheels before doing the test. Once you have the licence some exposure to the adv training will be useful. The instructor will advise about the pace of training depending on your skills.

• Advertisement

No is the answer. The examiner will want to see licence and ins. on test
    TBH it is makes more sense to get some experience under your wheels before doing the test. Once you have the licence some exposure to the adv training will be useful. The instructor will advise about the pace of training depending on your skills.

Yes, but an LP and insurance makes him legal.

Is it actually written down that he couldn't?

Same with the riding test: I don't understand why you have to wait 6 mths after IBT to even apply. If you're competent you'll pass, and if not you'll fail.

My young lad is on that treadmill now. Skills, he has..He's been riding since he was 4, and did his first Ron Haslam day at Donington at 14.

He's ready for his test now...

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Soon as this lockdown ****e is over Im gonna make it my business to do the test.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Soon as this lockdown ****e is over Im gonna make it my business to do the test.

There’ll be queues of us all over the country :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, but an LP and insurance makes him legal.

Is it actually written down that he couldn't?

Yes, it says on the Rospa site you need a license.

There’ll be queues of us all over the country :pac:

But I am far more important then mere common folk.....:rolleyes:

But I am far more important then mere common folk.....:rolleyes:

Please forgive me Sir ;)

Please forgive me Sir ;)

Im sorry, you will be shot at 1st light.....assuming my butler wakes me accordingly.

Im sorry, you will be shot at 1st light.....assuming my butler wakes me accordingly.

Firing squad? :p might need a sniper to take out the butler :pac:

did the test, got a silver. 'my lifesavers could have been earlier, but i'm well on the way to gold' was the main feedback. happy days.
    if anyone haas any questions, ill do my best to answer them

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    did the test, got a silver. 'my lifesavers could have been earlier, but i'm well on the way to gold' was the main feedback. happy days.
    if anyone haas any questions, ill do my best to answer them

well done - Silver will keep you keen for the next one - that's how it happened to me too.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement