Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23, Looking to get my first bike (A2) Need some guidance!

Options
  • 26-05-2020 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting a bike.. It'll probably be August (or January if I wait till after the Winter),by the time things start back but I want to weigh up my options.

I'm 23, never ridden a bike.. I haven't even been a passenger on one.
    I've just always loved the idea of getting one.

I'll be sitting my theory test as soon as I can and the IBT for the A2 as soon as as well..

I'm 23, I'll be going for an A2.
    I'd ideally like to get something I can sit my test on but from the quotes I'm getting online (liberty), I don't think that's feasible.

I gave Carole Nash a call about a Ninja 250r, and the gent straight up told me I won't get insured.. He was actually very sound to be fair to him.

I got quoted €870 third party fire and theft on a 191 ybr 125cc.
    I got quoted €930 on a Hyosung gt250r (250cc), third party fire and theft too.

I'll have around €6000 total saved, I'd ideally like to get on the road for less than that.
    But max 6k for everything.

I want a bike I can commute to and from college on, I'm out in the country so it's not for the sake of traffic.
    I just think a 125cc is going to be too slow, It's 80km 90% of the time in a car.

I know I can't sit the test on anything smaller than a 395cc, but I can't find any that I can get a quote on!

Any suggestions on what to look for?
    Also, Do I really need comprehensive insurance?

I know a sports bike probably isn't ideal given I commute 80km+ plus a day (over and back), but I've always loved the look of them.
    I also like the look of the Harley Sportster and that type of bike (not sure what they're called, I'm new to this!)

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I can't exactly ask my parents the same way I would if it was a car because neither of them ride and both of them outright hate the thought of me getting a bike..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Since you mention Harley, have a look at some cruisers such as the Honda Shadow or Yamaha Dragstar. Should be cheaper to insure than a sports bike. Even older models with higher mileage will be fine as they are relatively bullet proof engine wise, as long as they have been looked after even remotely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Soundman wrote: »
    Since you mention Harley, have a look at some cruisers such as the Honda Shadow or Yamaha Dragstar. Should be cheaper to insure than a sports bike. Even older models with higher mileage will be fine as they are relatively bullet proof engine wise, as long as they have been looked after even remotely.

I couldn't get anything on a 650cc Dragstar, I'm only seeing 750 and up Shadows

Tried a 535 Virago and couldn't get anything. I can't find any 250cc Dragstars with reg numbers so I can't get a quote.

If I was to get that style of bike I'd ideally like to go for a bobber style, and probably with straight handlebars, for no reason other than I prefer how they look..
    Would altering the bike like that up my insurance (if I ever got a quote?)

There are a few bobbered Shadow 600s knocking around. Think there's one in adverts at the moment.

Altering the bike might change your insurance for the worse alright, especially as a new rider.

Here's a Honda Steed 400, which is just the Japanese import of a Shadow.

http://www.adverts.ie/20409091

There are a few bobbered Shadow 600s knocking around. Think there's one in adverts at the moment.

Altering the bike might change your insurance for the worse alright, especially as a new rider.

Seen that alright, couldn't get a quote.

I'm surprised I even got a quote on the Gt250r, it's the only thing that's not a 125cc that I've managed to get a quote on!

• Advertisement

What companies have you tried for insurance?

What companies have you tried for insurance?

Carole Nash on the Ninja and everything else has just been through Liberty online.

That Steed looks nice alright.

I looked for a quote on a 99 Honda Rebel 125cc, nothing.. this is a p*sstake

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd recommend something that would be better suited then a cruiser....

I don't my test on a 600 naked Yamaha

The bikes you are looking at aren't anywhere near as easy to control for walk along or turnabout etc....

Would you be able to wait it out to 24 to go straight to proper A...,

It would be worth the wait to not have to go through it twice

I'd recommend something that would be better suited then a cruiser....

I don't my test on a 600 naked Yamaha

The bikes you are looking at aren't anywhere near as easy to control for walk along or turnabout etc....

Would you be able to wait it out to 24 to go straight to proper A...,

It would be worth the wait to not have to go through it twice

Yeah I hadn't really thought of that aspect to the test!

I'm not set on a cruiser, I like a lot of 'standard' looking bikes..
    I'd honestly just rather get a bike that's comfortable and capable for the journeys I'm doing.. But is also not too much of a handful!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MrMiata wrote: »

I'd honestly just rather get a bike that's comfortable and capable for the journeys I'm doing.. But is also not too much of a handful!

What height and build will be a factor to be honest if you want comfort.

Id wait till 24 if possible and get the full unrestricted licence.

If you do I'd be looking at 600cc up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Assuming you've not yet, you can do the theory now regardless. So may as well start. If you where even a year younger I'd say get the a2 and do the progession training after the 2 years. It's ~300 and no retest. But consider stuffs still closed how long will waiting really delay you.

Many people rent a bike for the test, usually from whoever did their ibt, and buy whatever they like/are comfortable on.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

How far exactly is your commute, I have a cbr600 f4 which is a sports bike but considered a sports tourer. Before an hour I'm cramped up and stiff.
    You're 23, will be on an L with 0 ncb anything with an R is a no no for insurance I'm afraid bud.
    In terms of bobbers had one as my first, crashed because of the mods made to it. I'd love another but one I'll build myself i don't trust anyone's home made bobbers anymore. Mine was a "pro" build.
    Try cb400, cbf's, k6n, fzs, stuff like that, low powered naked upright bikes.
    Trust me they'll all still move quicker than most cars on Irish roads and up right commuter bikes will be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd say forget about bobbers for now and get yourself a standard upright bike just to get used to actually being on the road. Once you've the hang of it you can sell it on and get your bobber or whatever because you'll have some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I started on a YBR125. Great little bike to get going on - same as a Honda CG125.
    I will say try stay away from Hyosung. They are not the best brand. And their reputation is bad. Resale value ain't great. Not is parts availability. Stick with the big 4 Japanese brands if you can:
    Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    How far exactly is your commute, I have a cbr600 f4 which is a sports bike but considered a sports tourer. Before an hour I'm cramped up and stiff.
    You're 23, will be on an L with 0 ncb anything with an R is a no no for insurance I'm afraid bud.
    In terms of bobbers had one as my first, crashed because of the mods made to it. I'd love another but one I'll build myself i don't trust anyone's home made bobbers anymore. Mine was a "pro" build.
    Try cb400, cbf's, k6n, fzs, stuff like that, low powered naked upright bikes.
    Trust me they'll all still move quicker than most cars on Irish roads and up right commuter bikes will be comfortable.

40km to work, 50km to college, same direction, 80% countryside driving etc.

The fella from Carole Nash told me anything with 'sports', 'r', or 'rr' is a no go off the bat.

I think I'd just get something standard that's reasonable to insure..
    Ideally more than 125cc given I'll be going 70km+ for the majority of my journey.
    I'll save the bobber till I've a few years under my belt!

What height and build will be a factor to be honest if you want comfort.

Id wait till 24 if possible and get the full unrestricted licence.

If you do I'd be looking at 600cc up.

I'm not a big fella, 5'8 or so, 29/30 inseam, and I'm right about 10st.
    Probably best to avoid a heavy bobber or anything of that type for awhile, but something with a lower seating position would suit me.

Edit - I'm turning 23 at the end of next month so I'll be waiting a full year for an A licence..
    If things aren't open till next January (or so), I'll wait it out.. but if I could get a bit of riding in after say August I'd nearly rather that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Wait a few months/ a year and get the A license and do the IBT for the A. You can still buy an A2 bike if you want but I'd suggest avoiding any faffing about and get an A bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryKon

A lot of good advice in this thread but I would insist on something and I'm sure most of the lads here will agree- do your IBT and then you'll find it much easier to decide what you want and what is more suitable to your needs and budget. I was just like you not long ago, completely virgin in the ways of bikes and my mind was racing trying to analyze all scenarios.
    Do your IBT, you will know more about bikes after that.
    Do your IBT, you will get a lot of info from your instructor.
    Do the IBT, the folks at schools can usually help you pick and find a bike.

I started on cruisers because of certain reasons, but they're not ideal. For the weekends and the smiles- sure, no bother. But other machines are a lot more practical. For your budget you can get ibt, decent gear, insurance and plenty of fuel to go with a machine that you wont feel bad crashing a few times- a suzuki gs500 or kawasaki er5n or even a beaten up deauville. These are all A2 machines but they feel close enough to A cat which you can get with progression next year. Cbf 500 is also a good parallel twin but a little pricier. Once you get comfy on your first bike you'll get a taste for experimenting and i'm sure you'll try plenty and find your favorite. Any questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I'm not a big fella, 5'8 or so, 29/30 inseam, and I'm right about 10st.
    Probably best to avoid a heavy bobber or anything of that type for awhile, but something with a lower seating position would suit me.

Edit - I'm turning 23 at the end of next month so I'll be waiting a full year for an A licence..
    If things aren't open till next January (or so), I'll wait it out.. but if I could get a bit of riding in after say August I'd nearly rather that..

When I had my bobber at 5'10", 15 stone with a 200kg deadlift it was pure bull rage that let me pick it up when it fell, they are heavy at the best of times.
    Do your ibt get a feel, but for your journeys I'd probably go up right commuter bike. Sports bike commuting is for people who are set on having a sports bike. They are made to race not commute ha.
    Fazers are detuned r engines fairly cure CBD are detuned cbr too.

Advertisement