Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA- Delivery costs

Options
  • 24-05-2020 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, anyone on here that works in IKEA or can answer this.
    I'm ordering a couple of wall cabinets plus a shoe storage cabinet, all in all a bulky delivery.
    Delivery is a very reasonable €9.95.
    However, if I add in the €13, 2m x 30mm wide suspension rail for the cabinet, delivery goes to a whopping €74!
    If I try to buy the rail on it's own, delivery is still €74 !
    I dont get it, the other stuff is likely to come in a van, why go crazy on delivery costs for having the rail in the van too ?!!!
    Or is there a way to solve it like speaking with customer services?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi, anyone on here that works in IKEA or can answer this.
    I'm ordering a couple of wall cabinets plus a shoe storage cabinet, all in all a bulky delivery.
    Delivery is a very reasonable €9.95.
    However, if I add in the €13, 2m x 30mm wide suspension rail for the cabinet, delivery goes to a whopping €74!
    If I try to buy the rail on it's own, delivery is still €74 !
    I dont get it, the other stuff is likely to come in a van, why go crazy on delivery costs for having the rail in the van too ?!!!
    Or is there a way to solve it like speaking with customer services?

I don’t work in ikea. I think though that things that are Below a certain size and Weight are delivered by an post, so they are cheaper. Once they can’t be delivered by an post, they have to be delivered by IKEA themselves, so the cost goes up dramatically. It sounds like the bits that are cheaper for delivery are below a certain size, because they’re flat packed, but the rail obviously can’t be folded up, so Is too big for the postman to bring!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ObserverOFlife

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t work in ikea. I think though that things that are Below a certain size and Weight are delivered by an post, so they are cheaper. Once they can’t be delivered by an post, they have to be delivered by IKEA themselves, so the cost goes up dramatically. It sounds like the bits that are cheaper for delivery are below a certain size, because they’re flat packed, but the rail obviously can’t be folded up, so Is too big for the postman to bring!

thanks for input. i just presumed that a courier service would be used. The other items, the trones cabinets aren't flat packed & are light but very bulky, however the wall cabinets with glass (800mm long each) are going to be pretty heavy i would imagine. So to charge E74 for a light rail, for which its length is its main 'akward point' is nonsense ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

thanks for input. i just presumed that a courier service would be used. The other items, the trones cabinets aren't flat packed & are light but very bulky, however the wall cabinets with glass (800mm long each) are going to be pretty heavy i would imagine. So to charge E74 for a light rail, for which its length is its main 'akward point' is nonsense ...

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/customer-service/services/delivery/
    Not couriers. Definitely an post.
    Everything in ikea is flat packed. It’s probably packages under 1m or something that come by an post.

Advertisement