Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor / Inefficient Tado Setup - Looking for advice.

Options
  • 19-05-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Here is my current setup:-
    - 2,000 sq ft dormer bungalow which has had walls and roof insulated.
    - Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms both with showers.
    - One bathroom with a bath downstairs.
    - 2 adults + 2 teenagers living in the house.
    - Central heating and hot water are produced by a Vokera MYNUTE HE gas boiler controlled via a Tado smart thermostat. It's not a combi boiler but it does have an electric switch beside it which allows me to turn off the radiators during the summer.
    - We run a negative head pump to serve hot water to all showers and taps as the water pressure in the area is very low. I understand having this pump means switching to a combi boiler won't be an option.
    - Annual Gas consumption averages 25,000 Kwh Units. This is the killer as apart from a cooking hob and a rarely used inset gas fire in the "good" reception room it's all central heating/hot water which I know could be improved on significantly.
    - Annual Electricity consumption averages 11,000 Kwh Units which includes about 3,000 Kwh to keep a 600L 80 fish tropical fishtank at 28c 24/7 and 2 X external filters pumping 1,500L of water per hour etc.

The challenge I have and reason I'm posting here is that I'm not making the most of Tado's potential whether with the existing setup as it is or with some modifications such as having some sort of zoning capability installed and most critically of all to use the flow control switch (if that's what allows me to turn the radiators on/off) in order to call the boiler to fire when it needs either HW or CH and to be able to "schedule" that electric switch via Tado to close off the radiators when not needed.

Am I in the right place for a discussion of and advice in relation to this?

Thanks for reading.
    Tagged:

Advertisement