Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Loan for Cafe

Options
  • 26-05-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Apologies if something similar has been asked already, I've taken a look and can't see much. I know there's been a lot of information surrounding cafe/coffee shop start up's but I'm more focused on the business loan.

Basically, I am completely new to starting up a business and I understand that there are a million and one other things to consider than just the money but for starters, as someone who doesn't have the personal funds to begin this venture, are business loans a popular option? I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this as a way of starting their own business, more so if that happens to be a cafe.

For anyone with information on it, I'd be grateful to know how exactly it works. I know I can ring a bank and ask these questions but would like to hear first hand also.

I can't imagine a bank would be too forthcoming in handing over 30-50k without being very sure of the business but just how difficult is it to secure a bank loan? And finally, I know that there are plenty of 'hidden' costs to opening a cafe, so is it worth adding the extra loan repayment every month?

As I've said, I'm new to this so any advice or information is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gerryhide

Yes they are popular, nearly every business has one. The bank will probably give you a business loan so long as you personally guarantee it and have a good history or get someone as guarantor on the loan. However, If its for something wild as a new cafe venture even with personal guarantees they will probably say no to which they would be doing you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If somebody with no experience in running a cafe and no cash up front approached me for a loan it would need to be a stellar business case to get any cash from me.

Cafes are not that expensive to start off ,unless your angling for a premium location can you save the cash up before embarking on this journey ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Look at grants before you look at loans. Not sure if there are any but there might be. Grants are mostly related to how many people you will end up employing.

Be very careful here before putting an irreplaceable asset as a guarantee for a loan for a high risk venture like a coffee shop. The sector was decimated during the last down turn and I can see more decimation now as people do not return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

No business experience

No capital of your own

No business plan so far

absolutely zero chance of getting a bank facility.

A bank will want to see you putting money into a business. they will also want to see a proper business plan and will want to see that you have the experience to make it work. - Running a business and working in a similar field are two very different sets of skills.

Advertisement