Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David McSavage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the I Have a Baby sketch from the Savage Eye. Pissed myself laughing at it at the time and would like to see it again. RTE player?

Yes that was one of my favourites, cant find the clip on youtube. Perfect satire of smug parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Grey Fox wrote: »
    Yes that was one of my favourites, cant find the clip on youtube. Perfect satire of smug parents.
    I found it on the RTE Player- Season 3, Episode 3 "Family".

It would be great if netflix gave McSavage a special. They have done this for other sketch comedians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I used to see him cycling around Dublin. Wears a lot of corduroy. Has an exceptionally large nose.

All the better for smelling puss#*s

It would be great if netflix gave McSavage a special. They have done this for other sketch comedians.

Im guessing his comedy wouldnt fit with their woke narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

he is classic suppressed homosexual. best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

He is excellent, comedy is very subjective, his show was excellent on RTE, his depiction of a scumbag is gas.

Caught him live in Dolans doing stand up and my friends and I love him, Joe Duffy used to be freaking over his piss take of him with the leathers on savage eye.

We need to see more of him on Irish TV, man is a legend in my eyes, met him in Limerick before, gas character

On Love ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UjRhP_dbI

Didnt stop them giving Ricky Gervais a show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I remember seeing him performing in Temple bar etc and didnt find him funny tbh, I have also heard from a number of people he is an absolutely tit in real life, but the savage eye was imo absolutely fantastic, scarily spot on, I always laugh at the rose of tralee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh and the late late toy show
    https://youtu.be/dU0OGyPUoQQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What do people think of him? I don't really find him that funny, I think he's very crude and goes way over the top. He seems quite egotistical and bitter aswell. I think a comedian can be funny without having to push things as far as he does.

i like that...

i hate Mcentire and russell and that ****e.

Why did they end the savage eye?
    Ratings dropped or it ran its course?

he had 2 strong series and because it did well RTE forced a 3rd and they fell out apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

I thought he is good.

He's probably liable to go Michael Richards/Kramer , so too risky for many to take on.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    There's an army of his friends or family, or maybe himself on multiple accounts, going through this thread thanking all positive posts

that's silly talk

many people like mcsavage.

in fact some of the complaints i've read seem to be people taking his "character" at face value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The Savage Eye had some very good bits, probably one of the best shows by an Irish comedian produced in Ireland. Can completely understand why people don’t take to him though, he’s hit and miss at times.

McSavage’s investigation on Instagram into trying to find the Butter Nutter who is terrorising the canal benches (smearing butter and bananas on them) near Portabello is funny.

It is actually a true story.

Found a you tube link to the butter nutter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zEvQERS5_M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

His Dublin City Centre Junkie is spot on :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Even the dog on the street knows who the Butter Nutter is at this stage.

He is just barking up the wrong tree.

He's done well for himself with the Scientology and everything, but I wouldn't find him particularly funny.

• Advertisement

dd973 wrote: »
    Tub's cousin and Barry Andrews brother I think, wonder where he'd be if he wasn't born with the silver tea set up his arse / well connected

I wonder the same about Tubs.

McSavage seems to have tons more talent but with some demons as well. Maybe what makes him so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Got free tickets to a Vicar St gig a few years ago. Wasn't funny at all. I have quite a dark sense of humour, love Jim Jeffries and Frankie Boyle, but McSavage went way beyond them, and the "jokes" weren't funny either.

Couldn't bring myself to watch the Savage Eye because he was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Didnt stop them giving Ricky Gervais a show

Or the Dave Chappelle "Sticks & Stones" special, which many here lauded as a blistering attack on the "woke left":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111105516

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Netflix could just buy the Savage Eye off RTE like they did with The Hardy. Bucks and see if it gets any interest with foreign markets, I could see it doing well in the UK and Australia not so sure about North America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Netflix could just buy the Savage Eye off RTE like they did with The Hardy. Bucks and see if it gets any interest with foreign markets, I could see it doing well in the UK and Australia not so sure about North America

Nah, it's too Irish. No-one who isn't from here would get the characters. Try explaining the Joe Duffy skit to a Yank with no context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    The Savage Eye had some very good bits, probably one of the best shows by an Irish comedian produced in Ireland. Can completely understand why people don’t take to him though, he’s hit and miss at times.

It's not that, he can be absolute ****e when he doesn't have a team around him telling him what works and doesn't. The Savage Eye was brilliant because there was a director and a team of editors to knock off the edges of his jokes and ideas.

That's why his stand-up is so hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

It's not that, he can be absolute ****e when he doesn't have a team around him telling him what works and doesn't. The Savage Eye was brilliant because there was a director and a team of editors to knock off the edges of his jokes and ideas.

That's why his stand-up is so hit and miss.

Spot on. John Colleary did a lot of writing on the show. Why McSavage stand up is hit and miss and the show was much more even and better.

Or the Dave Chappelle "Sticks & Stones" special, which many here lauded as a blistering attack on the "woke left":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111105516

Wouldnt be familiar with Dave Chapelle. Havent seen his stuff yet. Gervais is an interesting one. There is stuff in the Office or Extras that is far worse than some of the stuff that Netflix, Apple, etc pulled (and its not even that bad in my view) but i reckon the reason he surived the cull is because they dont want to upset him while After Life is doing well.

Wouldnt be familiar with Dave Chapelle. Havent seen his stuff yet. Gervais is an interesting one. There is stuff in the Office or Extras that is far worse than some of the stuff that Netflix, Apple, etc pulled (and its not even that bad in my view) but i reckon the reason he surived the cull is because they dont want to upset him while After Life is doing well.

Chapelle is the guvnor

You have the right to take offence and be offended. Anything you are offended by can be used to further offend you . You have the right to talk to anyone for advice before we ask you any questions about who you are offending or indeed are being offended by. You have the right to have anyone with you during the time you are being or becoming offended, they also have the right to become and or remain offended at that time. If you cannot take offence, we will continue to offend you if you wish. If you decide to take offence now without anyone present, you have the right to stop being offended at any time.

If we are not offending you at that point please feel free to let us know and we will do our upmost to offend you more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

worded wrote: »

The vacant stare and the Yop, ahh excellent, :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

He's given a show because they know it will make money. He has a track record of big hits.
    The same goes for Chappelle.

Cancel culture won't affect them because they have already made it.

It's the comedians starting off that are vulnerable to cancel culture, because nobody will take a punt on an unknown who has Twitter piling on them because of a joke they made that offended someone somewhere.

The chilling effect this will have on comedy is obvious. In fact it's already here for years.

Anyone pointing to the likes of Gervais or Chappelle getting greenlit as evidence that cancel culture doesn't exist is talking out their hoop.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    He's given a show because they know it will make money. He has a track record of big hits.
    The same goes for Chappelle.

Cancel culture won't affect them because they have already made it.

It's the comedians starting off that are vulnerable to cancel culture, because nobody will take a punt on an unknown who has Twitter piling on them because of a joke they made that offended someone somewhere.

The chilling effect this will have on comedy is obvious. In fact it's already here for years.

Anyone pointing to the likes of Gervais or Chappelle getting greenlit as evidence that cancel culture doesn't exist is talking out their hoop.
    I think you're talking out your own hoop. Of course cancel culture can affect established comedians, do you think it hasnt affected Kevin Hart or wont affect Ellen?

No one is saying cancel culture doesnt exist.

I think you're talking out your own hoop. Of course cancel culture can affect established comedians, do you think it hasnt affected Kevin Hart or wont affect Ellen?

That reminds me chapelle mentions hart a few times, like talking about one of your mates when they’re in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

There was a thread on here in the last week where people were saying it doesn't exist.

Kevin Hart was canceled (By the way, I hate that term) for a homophobic tweet. Which he later admitted was wrong.

Ellen is in trouble for backstage bullying.

Louie CK for being a sex pest.

None of this has anything to do with comedy. No one is being canceled due to jokes.

If you want to talk cancel culture, there is a comedian in Ireland who called out Racist and sexist behavior by a person in power in the Irish comedy and guess who got in trouble?

That's right the person who called him out, even do there was video evidence to back out what he was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

jface187 wrote: »
    Kevin Hart was canceled (By the way, I hate that term) for a homophobic tweet. Which he later admitted was wrong.

Ellen is in trouble for backstage bullying.

Louie CK for being a sex pest.

None of this has anything to do with comedy. No one is being canceled due to jokes.

If you want to talk cancel culture, there is a comedian in Ireland who called out Racist and sexist behavior by a person in power in the Irish comedy and guess who got in trouble?

That's right the person who called him out, even do there was video evidence to back out what he was saying.
    There's nothing wrong with cancelling a public figure for problematic tweets and views.

Looking forward to the first comedian who massively rips the piss out of cancel culture. It needs to be done. For everyones' sake, jokes get lonely without a brunt.

The point I was trying to make, is people keep saying comedy is being canceled.
    When it's not, it's people's actions that are the issue.

Were creating this narrative "Can't say anything anymore" when people are being canceled for their behavior and not their content. No one can point to people's jokes being the problem.

• Advertisement

The point I was trying to make, is people keep saying comedy is being canceled.
    When it's not, it's people's actions that are the issue.

Were creating this narrative "Can't say anything anymore" when people are being canceled for their behavior and not their content. No one can point to people's jokes being the problem.

I blame BLM on Bob Marley. Had he got the finger out and toured America he would have solved the whole issue years ago. We would be done with it now.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Looking forward to the first comedian who massively rips the piss out of cancel culture. It needs to be done. For everyones' sake, jokes get lonely without a brunt.

This is all Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr, and Rickey Gerivis go on about now. How they can't say anything, while saying anything they want, being paid for it and it being available on all platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I blame BLM on Bob Marley. Had he got the finger out and toured America he would have solved the whole issue years ago. We would be done with it now.

I blame it on Bohemians. Quares!

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I blame it on Bohemians. Quares!

He played Dalymount too. Not a word about UB40 or Tone Loc.

I reckon he was bone lazy. Big tree small axe my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

There's nothing wrong with cancelling a public figure for problematic tweets and views.

Oh yes there is - you might want to look up the base definition of Fascism because that is exactly what "cancel" culture is.

He played Dalymount too. Not a word about UB40 or Tone Loc.

I reckon he was bone lazy. Big tree small axe my eye.

I don’t see any murals of Lemmy or Ozzy about the place. Dee Snider on a jersey?

Must be them two-tone idealists in their pork pie hats, and doc martens.

• Advertisement

This is all Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr, and Rickey Gerivis go on about now. How they can't say anything, while saying anything they want, being paid for it and it being available on all platforms.

With any luck they will all get cancelled soon enough as well. Fingers crossed.

Although Burr was spot on about Steve jobs, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Oh yes there is - you might want to look up the base definition of Fascism because that is exactly what "cancel" culture is.
    Tosh. Cancelling a problematic Twitter user is just someone being told their hate isn't welcome in the marketplace of ideas.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I don’t see any murals of Lemmy or Ozzy about the place. Dee Snider on a jersey?

Must be them two-tone idealists in their pork pie hats, and doc martens.

Both lovely murals. A credit to the artist. There is a touch of Jimmy Nail about the Phil pic, I sound like an ex Man U supporter now. Help.

?width=630&version=5145923

At some point in the future both murals will be desecrated for one reason or another. Once they cop on that Marley was lazy it is all over, I reckon.

Lively up yourself. and don't be no drag.

I think if anything they’re dancing in the light of bob’s pearly whites. A fantastic advert for smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I sound like an ex Man U supporter now. Help.

Wouldn’t be out of “place” in Dalymount so, I!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
Advertisement