Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are people more unhappy than they are happy?

• 05-12-2019 9:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Would you say that most in life are miserable 70% of the time? Whether it's waking up early, commuting to work, the 9-5 hour work itself, coming back home. People enjoy the weekends which is maybe 30% of time.

We supposedly live in the best time in history yet we still have people moaning and thinking the world is getting worse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You can please all of the people some of the time.

You can please some of the people all of the time.

You can never please all of the people all of the time.

I was unhappy ish but I recently ended my relationship so am planning on being closer to happy ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Irish people scored their happiness at 7.021/10, leaving Ireland the 16th happiest out of 156 countries. (annual publication of the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network, March 2019)

Where do you get your wild assumptions from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We supposedly live in the best time in history yet we still have people moaning and thinking the world is getting worse.

None more than your good self.

People in general are happy, but sure it’s good to let off some steam and moan the odd time.

It’s great doing a bit of hard work each day, getting paid, and not having to rely on mammy and daddy for pocket money. Makes the weekends and evenings even more enjoyable. Most people don’t hate their jobs either.

Lol talk about a wageslave mentality.

Believe it or not, many people work at something they enjoy and actually want to do. I never moaned about or begrudged going to work. In fact, I liked my job and was very happy doing it. All my family are fortunate to be in jobs they always wanted to do and go to work each day quite content. Coupled with a good family and social life, work doesn't have to be a chore, a bore or any hinderance to having a happy life. In addition to financial reward, a job can bring great personal satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I think there are a huge amount of people in dull uninspiring, possibly stresssful jobs. For some that pays the bills and they just don't 9-5 and have other things to get satisfaction out of. But for others the dull job is compounded by a long commute, responsibilities towards children and increasingly elderly parents. So now they have no time for themselves and to do things that satisfy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Where do you get your wild assumptions from?

This !

Exactly This !

OP, please can you tell us

Im not unhappy.

However, huge rent and house prices, high insurance policies, high tax and the increasing cost of living don’t make things easy.

Lol talk about a wageslave mentality.

Lol, talk about being sitebanned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think people believe too much of the fake crap that is pushed at them through social media.

They come to believe life should be full of unbelievable moments and hallmark scenes.

The truth is day to day life is all small stuff and you need to enjoy the small stuff. If your constantly expecting the amazing scenes seen on social media you will be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Monkey see , monkey want. Monkey don't get, monkey unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I don't know if there is anyone who is 100% happy, we all have disappointments and regrets to deal with. I think contentment would do me, but it aint an easy road

Monkey read a Zen buddhist book , monkey wonder.monkey stop looking at the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

Some people are never happy. I work with a guy who is young, has a super hot girlfriend who is obsessed with him. She is basically his servant from what I can see. He has an amazing house that was given to him for nothing. His always drives a nice car. Goes out every weekend. Goes on loads of weekends away. Holidays every year. I could go on. He spends his day pissing and moaning about work and whatever else comes to mind. He get offended by something everyday. Basically does very little and complains about being unpaid.

And there is me, could not get the ride to save myself. Drives an 03' banger to work everyday and struggling to make ends meet. But I am happy or at least I am grateful. I listen to his crap every day and feel like telling him to stop being such an ungrateful spoilt little ****.

Monkey find themselves in a shotgun shack and ask how did I get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I was going to reply in earnest, but then I saw who the OP was.

Hello Jeff. Hope Drogheda is treating you well.

lalababa wrote: »
    Monkey see , monkey want. Monkey don't get, monkey unhappy.
    Monkey read a Zen buddhist book , monkey wonder.monkey stop looking at the hype.
    Monkey find themselves in a shotgun shack and ask how did I get here.

Are you a zookeeper?

Monkey has a ****. And reads about Panthesim. Monkey no longer 'sees' , monkey only accepts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'm unhappy since the OP's join date.

Monkey has a ****. And reads about Panthesim. Monkey no longer 'sees' , monkey only accepts.

NsUzMPQ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

People would be happier if they stayed off social media, thinking everyone else has a better life than them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"The sweet is never as sweet without the sour"

🙈🙉🙊

I am in a state of constant despair..

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Believe it or not, many people work at something they enjoy and actually want to do. I never moaned about or begrudged going to work. In fact, I liked my job and was very happy doing it. All my family are fortunate to be in jobs they always wanted to do and go to work each day quite content. Coupled with a good family and social life, work doesn't have to be a chore, a bore or any hinderance to having a happy life. In addition to financial reward, a job can bring great personal satisfaction.

Go on, tell us how much $$$$ you make, you are dying to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

digzy wrote: »
    People would be happier if they stayed off social media, thinking everyone else has a better life than them

Of course people aren't happy, they are not meant to be. Keeping the population weak and vulnerable makes them more controllable..social media is just the latest tool

digzy wrote: »

Yes, medieval peasants were extraordinarily happy, as were Welsh coal miners in the 18th century. That damned social media spoiled all our contentment.

Go on, tell us how much $$$$ you make, you are dying to ...

Happiness isn't about money. I was part of a very happy family unit growing up, and when our own kids were young, and we hadn't a spare penny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

rafa05 wrote: »
    Some people are never happy. I work with a guy who is young, has a super hot girlfriend who is obsessed with him. She is basically his servant from what I can see. He has an amazing house that was given to him for nothing. His always drives a nice car. Goes out every weekend. Goes on loads of weekends away. Holidays every year. I could go on. He spends his day pissing and moaning about work and whatever else comes to mind. He get offended by something everyday. Basically does very little and complains about being unpaid.

And there is me, could not get the ride to save myself. Drives an 03' banger to work everyday and struggling to make ends meet. But I am happy or at least I am grateful. I listen to his crap every day and feel like telling him to stop being such an ungrateful spoilt little ****.

Does he come from a rich family?

OP, happiness means different things to different people. It's a state that isn't permanent because of how life challenges us. I don't spend much time on trying to be happy instead I aim for contentment. The big thing for me and I don't think I'm alone in this, is that living is the goal.
    When people say they are just surviving I feel sad. I understand that sometimes that's the optimum for that person but but but if there is even a glimmer of more then take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

everyone nowadays have different meanings for happiness.

for most its financial
    for some its health
    family& relationships

there are people working hard and blowing cash on items that make them happy for short term, but in this day and age when airfares are dirt cheap many dont take time to relax, if any free time is spent on tv or at home doing chores, its fair to assume why many would be miserable, plus that happyness index is a bit BS, as asking few random people cant reflect on entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Life, like a river has ebbs and flows. Everyone has their good times and bad times, what matters most is appreciating what you have.

I don't have everything I want from life personally, but I have a lot going for me, a good job, people who care for me, some savings and a workable plan for my future, all of which I'm extremely grateful for.

It's also important to take the good with the bad. I wish Ireland wasn't so expensive, but I still love the country, culture and people that I don't have elsewhere, so it's all worth it in the end for being what makes me who I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://youtu.be/-dYgnvrvQ3M I think this sums it up op.

Advertisement