Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking.

Options
  • 05-12-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

How much 'free' parking are you getting in your town over Christmas,? were getting 2 Free hours in this so called town , very good of the council to bless us with 2 hours, it seem at every meeting they are trying to find ways to get people to shop here don't think 2 hours is going to help, In a town 20 minutes away free parking every weekend all year long,:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

decky1 wrote: »
    How much 'free' parking are you getting in your town over Christmas,? were getting 2 Free hours in this so called town , very good of the council to bless us with 2 hours, it seem at every meeting they are trying to find ways to get people to shop here don't think 2 hours is going to help, In a town 20 minutes away free parking every weekend all year long,:mad:

I have 3 towns to choose from. Town A, free parking in council car parks paid on street parking excellent shopping choice. Town B free parking all year round poor shopping choice outside of the usual chain supermarkets. Town C no idea as the town has being undergoing improvement works for nearly a year and a half, poor shopping choice but due to the works I avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2 hours is enough shopping time for any man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Which so called town would that be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Why don't you get up off your arse and walk so.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Why don't you get up off your arse and walk so.

ah here now, i was thinking of people in general, all the council seem to be interested in here is getting money from parking yet the car parks are quiet small and the biggest one is 10 minutes walk from the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's a town near me that offers a few few hours parking during Christmas. Which is enough.
    However they allow the first thirty minutes free during the year and the warden has ticketed people.
    People in shops tell you not to trust him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I hope the council take action when they read this thread.

Like they will definitely, definitely read this thread.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Which so called town would that be ?

wish i could say, not willing to put up with the backlash.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

decky1 wrote: »
    wish i could say, not willing to put up with the backlash.:eek:

Just give us a hint ?

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I hope the council take action when they read this thread.

Like they will definitely, definitely read this thread.

pity they would'nt if they took the time to have a walk around town they'd see it's falling to bits, vacant shop everywhere. spent thousands revamping part of it only to make a bottle neck for traffic where before traffic flowed freely.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Our council really pushed the boat out and reduced the fee from €1 to 50 cent over hour No free parking until after 5.30pm and on Sundays (as the norm all years)

Just give us a hint ?

stop your starting to get on my Wick:D

Our council really pushed the boat out and reduced the fee from €1 to 50 cent over hour No free parking until after 5.30pm and on Sundays (as the norm all years)

Very kind indeed ,could'nt let it go free had to be making something, just to pay those guy's in the Yellow coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Free parking is counter-productive for shops, as local workers get there before the shoppers and take all the free parking.

Limited time free / cheap parking tends to be limited to 2-3 hours as by that point most people are no longer shopping and are just faffing about for an extended period in a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Is a parking attendant in DLR Coco allowed to take a photo of you while you are still in the car. No warning standing right in front of the car. Despite the fact I asked him to stop, he then continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

2 hours is enough shopping time for any man

With plenty of time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have free parking for my office chair at my desk and ordered everything I wanted online all from Mr. Bezos, I didn't have to risk Covid, I didn't get soaked wet or have to queue outside stores or circle a car park multiple times either. You would expect for such luxury I would pay a premium but I actually saved money on similar Irish prices. We are ripped off totally here and most people I know have done similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Victor wrote: »
    Limited time free / cheap parking tends to be limited to 2-3 hours as by that point most people are no longer shopping and are just faffing about for an extended period in a cafe.

It probably does come down to what you think of as shopping. Two hours is loads of time to do some actual shopping where you know exactly where you're going and have a fair idea what you're going to buy. If on the other hand 'shopping' is a leisure activity where you nose around every shop to see if there's something you might buy, with a lunch or at least a coffee and cake at a cafe thrown in somewhere in the middle, it's not much time at all. But then, you're probably not the type of shopper they're trying to incentivise with that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It probably does come down to what you think of as shopping. Two hours is loads of time to do some actual shopping where you know exactly where you're going and have a fair idea what you're going to buy. If on the other hand 'shopping' is a leisure activity where you nose around every shop to see if there's something you might buy, with a lunch or at least a coffee and cake at a cafe thrown in somewhere in the middle, it's not much time at all. But then, you're probably not the type of shopper they're trying to incentivise with that offer.

You basically just described the difference between men and women shopping.

Advertisement