Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great whites disappearing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Seems the great whites are disappearing in false bay. My first thought before I read it was that maybe orcas have moved in and it seems that is likely the case according to the news.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/something-fishy-in-false-bay-as-great-white-sharks-disappear-1.4072263?mode=amp

I knew the orcas have a taste for the liver of sharks but this could potentially unbalance the entire area now.
    What's the important ecological role of great whites (full disclosure I know very little about this subject and am firmly on the Orcas' side).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

What's the important ecological role of great whites (full disclosure I know very little about this subject and am firmly on the Orcas' side).

Controlling seal and sealion numbers for a start - the also clean the ocean as they scavenge a lot of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They are much longer lived then people used to think. Around 70 years, and don't even start breeding until around 30 years old.
    The problem with long lived animals (also whales and elephants) is that they can seem like they are resisting whatever pressures are on them, even for a whole generation or two, and then the population suddenly disappears. It appears like a delayed reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Apex predators are an essential component of properly functioning ecosystems, and have impacts far beyond simply limiting the unfettered growth of prey populations.

A phenomenon known as trophic cascade means that adding or removing a trophic level (like top predators) in any natural system can have far-reaching consequences that cascade through every level of the ecosystem, radically altering the way it functions.

Apex predators are an essential component of properly functioning ecosystems, and have impacts far beyond simply limiting the unfettered growth of prey populations.

A phenomenon known as trophic cascade means that adding or removing a trophic level (like top predators) in any natural system can have far-reaching consequences that cascade through every level of the ecosystem, radically altering the way it functions.
    Clearly the Orcas are the Apex predators!
    (Full disclosure I hate sharks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Absolutely 😉.

My point was that the exclusion of great whites from that particular ecosystem (by killer whales or whatever else might be driving it) is likely to have impacts and consequences that extand far beyond the obvious immediate reduction in shark predation on key prey species.

Absolutely 😉.

My point was that the exclusion of great whites from that particular ecosystem (by killer whales or whatever else might be driving it) is likely to have impacts and consequences that extand far beyond the obvious immediate reduction in shark predation on key prey species.
    Of course I don't want Great White Sharks to become extinct but it is natural (if that's the correct term) for the Orcas not to want to share their living space with Great Whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do you watched jaws and now hate sharks??
    How ignorant. Sharks are one of the oldest animals on our planet.
    They deserve our respect and to give them their space. Considering the amount that are slaughtered by humans every year. Sharks play a vital role in the underwater ecosystem.

Advertisement