Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD vs RCSI

Options
  • 05-01-2019 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi I’m in sixth year at the moment and am hoping to study medicine next year. The only problem is where. I’m really stuck between Trinity and RSCI. (I live quite far away from UCD so it’s my third choice). I originally put Trinity down as my first choice but after attending the open days for both colleges I’m seriously reconsidering my decision. Personally I just felt that Trinity was cold and impersonal in comparison to RCSI where all the staff and students were so friendly and welcoming. RCSI seems to be very student focused and the facilities there are amazing as well.

However I’ve heard the teaching isn’t as good in comparison to Trinity. Is this true? To me the quality of the degree and being taught properly is more important than anything else. Also does it make any difference what teaching hospital you are in? Like which would be better for students: Tallaght and St. James or Beaumont and Connolly?

I know at the end of the day I will still get a medical degree whichever college I choose but I want to start off on the right foot. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

rk2301 wrote: »
    Hi I’m in sixth year at the moment and am hoping to study medicine next year. The only problem is where. I’m really stuck between Trinity and RSCI. (I live quite far away from UCD so it’s my third choice). I originally put Trinity down as my first choice but after attending the open days for both colleges I’m seriously reconsidering my decision. Personally I just felt that Trinity was cold and impersonal in comparison to RCSI where all the staff and students were so friendly and welcoming. RCSI seems to be very student focused and the facilities there are amazing as well.

However I’ve heard the teaching isn’t as good in comparison to Trinity. Is this true? To me the quality of the degree and being taught properly is more important than anything else. Also does it make any difference what teaching hospital you are in? Like which would be better for students: Tallaght and St. James or Beaumont and Connolly?

I know at the end of the day I will still get a medical degree whichever college I choose but I want to start off on the right foot. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, I went to RCSI and in my opinion I think you should choose Trinity/UCD, a lot of my fellow graduates would agree. Facilities are amazing yes but teaching is sub par, and aimed at the large cohort of international students, as in the curriculum is aimed towards helping them to pass their own countries board exams so they can return home to work rather than teaching them how to be good doctors. I don’t regret going there but if I had the choice you have, I’d pick Trinity or UCD by a long way.

Also from the people I’ve worked with, UCD and Galway graduates seem to have the best training for the job, with Trinity next. They also have a proper work life balance which unfortunately RCSI is sorely lacking. This is something I would have scoffed at years ago but seeing the strain college and work has had on colleagues between dropping out/career breaks I now appreciate how it is very important.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement