Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders

Options
  • 29-11-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Ok good people,
    so I bought a set of really nice mudguards from Portland Design Works .
    Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders 30mm - Road
    They are actually quite nice . Black and they are full lenght mudguards with flaps on the very bottom.
    Unfortunately the rear one will not fit my Tommasini. In fact it's not even a close fit especially with a 28mm tyre ,clearance is just too tight on that frame,so they need a home .
    I paid 100 quid for them so 90 as I dropped a grub screw somewhere. They are for the wider tyres so will fit up to 30mm .
    They are literally brand new just arrived today and will supply the reciept from Condor where I got them.
    https://www.condorcycles.com/products/portland-design-works-full-metal-fender

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

What's a grub screw and where might one obtain said grub screw?

I've googled but not entirely sure what exactly I'm looking at...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

You probably wont need it as two of said grub screws are holding the mudflap on so now just one and I cant see it coming loose.
    However if you really want it take one with you to your local hardware shop and they will probably give you one foc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

You say the clearance is tight, especially with 28mm tyres. I'd be trying to fit these over 28mm tyres as well, so just to clarify the clearance issue isn't with these fitting over 2imm tyres, but rather the clearance within your frame?

Cheeky offer of 60 euro

Yes the clearance issue is with the frame.
    Very tight. Can just about run a 27mm tubular (more 'rounder' then a clincher) on the back and cannot run anything above a 25 on the front.

Pricewise ...sorry but am not gonna budge on price.
    They are highly regarded full metal guards.

Going to withdraw these for the moment as a clubmate wants to see if they will fit his bike!

• Advertisement

Relistng as they wont fit clubmates bike.
    The issue on both mine and his is where on the guard is secured to the downtube.
    I and he only have a few mm clearance and it isnt enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Is it catching at the crown of the tyre or slightly on one or each side with a little frame/wheel flex when moving? I had the flare the edge of mine out a little down there with the pliers of persuasion.

Mangaged to get clearance under the brake - tyre but then discovered that I dont have clearance on the down tube where the guard is to be attached to the downtube.
    Just not meant to be with PDW'S and my luverly tomasini.
    I have them on Adverts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

koutoubia wrote: »
    I have them on Adverts.
    thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement