Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering for Dublin school with no address

Options
  • 19-11-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I have a six month old, and my job requires I move every year. When my son is school age I will be living in Dublin. Many people have told me if I want to get him into a good school I should have had his name down as soon as he was born. I don’t know what area of Dublin I will be living in but would like Kilmainham /terenure. I have been told that schools won’t take names without an address. Does anyone have any advice? It’s all very stressful and I’m clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I agree that it is stressful. Could I suggest contacting the relevant schools , explain that you are a doctor and don't currently have a Dublin address but will have one in four years.

If you know anyone in the relevant areas you could use their address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm not being smart but I'd be looking for another job that gives my family more stability. Do you intend to move your child from school to school each year?

To me that sounds so stressful, no doubt you'll make it work but wouldn't be for me.

As other poster has said, contact the school and explain your situation. My school only takes names the January before September start.

I'm not being smart but I'd be looking for another job that gives my family more stability. Do you intend to move your child from school to school each year?

To me that sounds so stressful, no doubt you'll make it work but wouldn't be for me.

As other poster has said, contact the school and explain your situation. My school only takes names the January before September start.

She can't for now; that's the system for doctors for better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

I can’t think of any primary school that would require you to have a local/ parish address to submit your pre-enrolment form. The actual enrolment process starts the year before they are due to start JIs.

I do however know that our local ET schools are on first come first serve basis but if you are talking about your average Catholic school the pre enrolment means nothing, it’s just registering your interest. You might as well be living in California. This has been our experience with schools in South East Dublin.

I’d suggest looking at the schools in the areas you have mentioned and checking their admissions and pre enrolment policies. Each school may have different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

Aw this is unhelpful and judgemental. I don’t think you’re being smart don’t worry, I presume if any of your family need medical treatment you would bring them to a hospital. Whilst there they will meet me and my colleagues and no doubt thank us for our care when you’re heading out the door. If we were to follow your advice you would have no doctors. We would all leave the country. I’ve thought about it many many times. It would be lovely to live in one place, be friends with our neighbours, get a dog etc etc. Unfortunately I love my job and would never be happy doing anything else.

Public opinion is so depressing. This is akin to saying ‘why don’t you just walk out the door at 5pm’

• Advertisement

I'm sorry I wasn't aware doctors were required to upsticks every year.

You also never stated in your post that you were a doctor another poster answered on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'm sorry I wasn't aware doctors were required to upsticks every year.

You also never stated in your post that you were a doctor another poster answered on your behalf.

Agreed, I could see no mention of doctor in original post either, don't know how other poster knew,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Are you in training OP, is that why you are moving a lot?
    If you are doing pre-enrolment your address probably doesn't matter.I would ring the schools in question also, not all of them will do pre-enrolment either by the way, some will only.take names the January before JI starts.
    Just take a look on daft/my home also and see what is in that area too as regards the house price bracket, in case you need to widen your search area for schools (obviously lots can change in 5 years in the housing market).
    I would however agree with Princess Calla's point-I don't know whether moving around is going to be a long or short term thing for you but you might want to give consideration to the future if it is long term....moving schools every year will be highly stressful for you and your child and quite probably not sustainable.
    The child will also be entitled to 2 years ECCE hours in a playschool from the age of 3...I know it is not a necessity that they attend, but have you given thought to that?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Agreed, I could see no mention of doctor in original post either, don't know how other poster knew,
    My brother is a doctor and in a similar boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

Thanks everyone for some very useful information. Yes I am on a training scheme which is why I’m moving for the next couple of years. This will eventually come to an end, but he will probably have to move schools at some stage in the first few years of primary school. I do hate this.

My preference would be for an ET school. I’m just wondering is there still a baptism barrier element at catholic schools? I know you are not required to have a baptismal cert but is preference still given to catholic children unofficially? If I can register interest now- does this impact on pre enrolment, if not why bother?!

Are playschools oversubscribed too? Should I be contacting them too!

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware for primary schools the barrier is lifted but I think secondary schools it's still in place.

Your best bet as said before is contact your school of choice now and explain the situation.

My school only looks for baptismal cert if planning on taking the communion sacrament.

I think ET places fill up fairly fast so best be proactive about it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's very much dependent on your area, you see OP.The area you are looking at, I would hazard a guess that numbers are a problem.(I am North Dublin).You will probably have to ring around.

Look, you have a good 4/5 years ahead to plan this.You can't really imagine the baby you have now, when they are 3 or 4 years old, but as they grow, it will become more obvious to you that your child does need some security of familiarity in terms of where they go to schools and that, each day.Some kids deal better than others with moving around between schools, but many need take longish settling-in periods, and a lot of reassurance, especially at ages 3,4,5 years. If you are moving long distances each year, then personally, I would give serious consideration to not thinking about ECCE at all, or only worrying about it for one year.Otherwise I would be thinking of settling in a couple of years in the area that you hope to live in, and with that, the possibility of you commuting or living away from home a few days of the week.As you say yourself, it isn't forever and in the long run, although it will be very hard on you, it will provide a security for your child that will make your life easier as they start school.

Now obviously I am not you, and I don't know what your work circumstances would be (and maybe you don't either) but I suppose I am thinking of it in terms of what a child is like at those ages, and how they cope.I am not suggesting you need to tie yourself to one place forever, but at a certain point, kids need familiarity, even just for a few years.And honestly, if your child is stressed, worried, or unhappy about where they go each day.....you will be in a state too.

Sorry, I am probably giving you even more to worry about here, but the good thing is that you have a lot of time, and hopefully you can get yourself sorted.I would start with ringing the schools in the area and see do they do pre-enrolment, and then sit down.and think about how the next few years might pan out for you, and how that will work for your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Baptism barrier is gone now. But I though the lists schools keep are also being outlawed? ITS Mad in this day that the department of Ed or the local council doesn't allocate the places and not have people running around to every school like they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

I’m just wondering is there still a baptism barrier element at catholic schools? I know you are not required to have a baptismal cert but is preference still given to catholic children unofficially? If I can register interest now- does this impact on pre enrolment, if not why bother?!

Are playschools oversubscribed too? Should I be contacting them too!
    The baptism barrier is gone for Catholic schools. Their admission polices should reflect this change. Schools do not tend to bend the rules for admissions as the consequences can be quite serious (appeals etc to the Department of Education). CoI schools are allowed to give preference to CoI kids first.

As for pre-enorolment, check the admissions policies for ET schools. Monktstown ET has siblings first and based on date of receipt, no catchment area. On the other hand, Sandymount ET has a catchment area. So in the case of ET schools, the pre-enrolment might be very important. You lose nothing by putting your child's name down now.

Playschools, creches tend to be oversubscribed so definitely put your child's name down as soon as you can.

I can only echo Shesty.

My eldest was in crèche from his first birthday, we never had a problem with him going, he had the same minder for two years, but we moved house when he was 3.

He doesn't do well with change at all!

I was on maternity leave when we moved so kept him home until the ecce scheme kicked in and even though it was only for 3 hrs a day it was a struggle. He really didn't want to be there. There was mornings he was plonked onto the buggy board while I marched down late as usual due to some mini crisis of his making.

This year he has no problems always ready on time etc.

I don't think the sanity of the household would survive if we moved every year which is why I said I'd be looking to change jobs.

By contrast the youngest could be strapped to a rocket and sent to the moon and he'd be delighted with himself going on an adventure.

Also I've friends that are primary school teachers and the one thing they used to say before the ecce scheme took off, was they could always tell the child that went to crèche versus a child that didn't, the crèche child was always the more independent. So while the ecce scheme is not the be all and end all it does set them up well for primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The OP hasn’t said she’s going to continue moving house every year forever, and moving her child from school to school every year. She’s moving around yearly NOW, but clearly states in her OP that she’s going to be in Dublin when her child starts school, so she’s putting names down for schools in Dublin now, though the child might have to move school at some point during their primary school years, which isn’t ideal, but not exactly unheard of.

OP, I’ve no experience of Dublin schools, sorry! One year of playschool is plenty, but places do fill up early, so it’s something to think about if you can, but not the end of the world If you cant!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Jesus Wept! It’s unfortunate we don’t have more people like the OP in Ireland. Most of them up sticks and leave. Thank Christ she hasn’t or gone looking for a more stable job!

Op didn’t ask for opinions or judgements on her personal job or family life! She asked about schools. It’s irrelevant if she’s a doctor or a teacher or a plumber. That’s nobodies business and shouldn’t change the way posters advise on schools! Or call for judgements. While on a training scheme SHOs and regs do need to move around a good bit but this ceases then for a few years until SPR year prior to consultanty. But that’s irrelevant and OP doesn’t actually need to explain all that!

Anyway OP. Put on your submissions of interest for all schools in D4, D6, D8 and D14. If those are the areas you’re looking for. It will mean you will get updates on actual enrollment. I know you’re looking for ET schools... these can be difficult to get places in esp if you’re not in the catchment. Maybe sign up for a couple of private fee paying schools just so you’re not stuck as these don’t take catchment into account. St Killians School in Goatstown might be worth a look for you. But of course you need to look at logistics and practicality for travel and getting to the schools in the morning.

Best of luck Op. this can be stressful! But put down your expressions of interest or applications. Ring the schools and explain your predicament. Enrollment for public schools isn’t usually until the year prior commencement.

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Jesus Wept! It’s unfortunate we don’t have more people like the OP in Ireland.

I'm not bothering quoting your whole post.

I honestly don't care what occupation the OP has.

I answered the post honestly as a parent with experience of one move and the upset it caused my child. I don't think my child is unique in how he gets attached to his minders and friends.

I certainly wouldn't want to return to the pants wetting and soiling that happened in the aftermath of the change. I also wouldn't subject my child to that on a yearly basis. Alot of people don't like change he is one of them.

The original post from the OP gave no indication that this was a temporary situation for X amount of years. It gave the impression that this was the situation with no room for change. So it would be constant change each year, fair enough if that's what you want to do but not every child likes being the new kid each year.

As I side note I don't see staying in Ireland as a selfless act. We're a lovely little country. Our children can safely go to school without fear of being shot. We've probably an over generous welfare system. The weather could improve though. But if you view remaining here as a sacrifice there's plenty of planes to bring you to new opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

If you know anyone in the relevant areas you could use their address.

Do not do this, I'm assuming you won't. There's no point even discussing why I say this much.

I honestly don't care what occupation the OP has.

I answered the post honestly as a parent with experience of one move and the upset it caused my child. I don't think my child is unique in how he gets attached to his minders and friends.

I certainly wouldn't want to return to the pants wetting and soiling that happened in the aftermath of the change. I also wouldn't subject my child to that on a yearly basis. Alot of people don't like change he is one of them.

The original post from the OP gave no indication that this was a temporary situation for X amount of years. It gave the impression that this was the situation with no room for change. So it would be constant change each year, fair enough if that's what you want to do but not every child likes being the new kid each year.

As I side note I don't see staying in Ireland as a selfless act. We're a lovely little country. Our children can safely go to school without fear of being shot. We've probably an over generous welfare system. The weather could improve though. But if you view remaining here as a sacrifice there's plenty of planes to bring you to new opportunities.

But OP wasn’t actually asking for advice or comments about this aspect of their lives??? Just ridiculous judgmental carry on. No need whatsoever unless OP specifically asked (which she didn’t). There’s enough guilt already being a parent. Don’t know what world some people are living in on these forums sometimes...

• Advertisement

And you’ve obviously COMPLETELY missed my point here which tbh isn’t surprising given your previous replies. I was saying it’s great OP has stayed in Ireland so we can keep more medical professionals here as lot do move out of the country to places that’s do have better pay and a better quality of life. Nothing at all got to do with me moving or thinking staying here is a sacrifice...

But OP wasn’t actually asking for advice or comments about this aspect of their lives??? Just ridiculous judgmental carry on. No need whatsoever unless OP specifically asked (which she didn’t). There’s enough guilt already being a parent. Don’t know what world some people are living in on these forums sometimes...

I wasn't judging I was making a suggestion based on my experience. If she needs to move each year and move her child each year than so be it.

As I said at the very start contact the school she's interested in..... None of us here know where she's going to be living and what schools are in the area she's interested in.

A boarding school may also be a valid option if she wants to go down that route.

I honestly don't understand the need to ask the question on the Internet rather than actually ringing the schools in question and getting the facts straight from the school.

And you’ve obviously COMPLETELY missed my point here which tbh isn’t surprising given your previous replies. I was saying it’s great OP has stayed in Ireland so we can keep more medical professionals here as lot do move out of the country to places that’s do have better pay and a better quality of life. Nothing at all got to do with me moving or thinking staying here is a sacrifice...

No I didn't miss the point, I understood you perfectly that you were praising the OP for slumming it in Ireland rather than chasing the dream elsewhere.

No I didn't miss the point, I understood you perfectly that you were praising the OP for slumming it in Ireland rather than chasing the dream elsewhere.

Making ill advised assumptions again....

I wasn't judging I was making a suggestion based on my experience.

Again... Jesus wept. Why the need to make suggestions that are totally off topic from the thread. She didn’t ask for your suggestions that she should change her job or your experience on what moving is like... it’s just totally unnecessary. I don’t understand why some people feel the need to give unwanted unasked for advice Andy suggestions... freedom of speech and all that i guess. But so unnecessary.

Mod note
    Let's stick to the topic please, and stop the back and forward between individual posters

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Hi OP

Also an NCHD here.
    Living in Dublin and bought a house two years ago. Near the end of my scheme so hoping I won't be sent elsewhere (no guarantees!) but we will have to leave the country for fellowship so my son will miss his first year in primary school. We've found out he has a place in the school near us for junior infants but won't be taking it up. The school have told us they will likely have a place for senior infants the following year so we'll do his first year abroad and then hopefully we'll get back in the next year.

We were renting close to the area we ended up buying in but didn't know that at the time so I literally put his name down in every school within about a 10km circle. Takes an evening of work to print off and send in all forms and then it's done.

I've also done the same for secondary schools because again we don't know where we'll be living. I've even put his name down for some in Cork, where my husband is from as there's no guarantee we'll be in Dublin longterm.

Not one school looked for anything to do with our address etc when we were applying. Now that we have a place, the school do want us to sent in utility bills to ensure we are within the catchment so that will be easy for you to do later.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Having just moved schools last year from northside to southside of Dublin, arent the enrolment policies based graded preference? i.e. priority 1 - siblings of pupils; priority 2 - kids of teachers; priority 3 - kids in the locality. So dont you end being the lowest of the low if you dont live in the area? Plus most schools are overly subscribed.

Advertisement