Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

Saw it for a second time after catching it in the Cork Film Fest. Was my favourite film of last year, really feel the Oscars got it wrong but not surprised it's a bit weird for the academy.

Loved it just as much in fact even felt like it went by faster. The score and cinematography are astounding. The aspect ratio really adds to the claustrophobia and tension. The dialogue is so rich too, such great writing. I definitely agree that it's a movie that requires your full attention and think that could easily put people off but if you can get into it it's mesmerising masterclass in suspense and surrealism. Dafoe and Pattinson are fantastic in it, Dafoe in particular. That scene where he's being covered in dirt is mind blowing to watch.

On the other hand when I saw this at the film festival a couple days later I overheard someone say "The biggest POS they'd ever seen". Overheard someone the other day saying they needed to see it again to make sense of it. Also want to echo what someone else said that it seems not be getting a great release. Only cinema showing it in Cork is Mahon and they're doing both in the late afternoon, no late showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

First movie ive been at where people were turning around to other people to wonder what they had just watched. I like lighthouses to the point I hired one for a weekend to stay in ;-) so I enjoyed the immersive quality about the movie . Dafoe put in a great performance , someone was saying the actors don’t get on now , not sure how true that is or might just be to make the movie come across as a bit edgier? Its obviously a bit out there and wont be for everyone.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

silverharp wrote: »
    First movie ive been at where people were turning around to other people to wonder what they had just watched. I like lighthouses to the point I hired one for a weekend to stay in ;-) so I enjoyed the immersive quality about the movie . Dafoe put in a great performance , someone was saying the actors don’t get on now , not sure how true that is or might just be to make the movie come across as a bit edgier? Its obviously a bit out there and wont be for everyone.

They did an interview with Film4 where they talked about how they have different styles of acting, but Dafoe said they may have different ways of working but it makes them works together. I also read this article recently about it.
    Dafoe’s devotion to rehearsal and precise blocking ran counter to his co-star’s — Pattinson found the approach antithetical to his more spontaneous acting style. The two actors’ techniques clashed on the set, although he and Pattinson never did — Dafoe suggests the script provided all the tension between the characters that he and his doubles partner needed.

https://www.screendaily.com/features/how-willem-dafoe-and-robert-pattinsons-contrasting-acting-styles-powered-the-lighthouse/5145355.article

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I usually like to write up a little review but everything that can be said about this film has already been covered. So i'll just do this...

The Lighthouse - 10/10

The Shining meet Steptoe & Son.

I have very much enjoyed listening to interviews with the two actors talking about this project. Good Simon Mayo one. Two good ones on the Empire podcast last week etc... In the Mayo interview, Willem confirms that he will be working with Eggers on his next project, so that's very exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

El Duda wrote: »
    I have very much enjoyed listening to interviews with the two actors talking about this project. Good Simon Mayo one. Two good ones on the Empire podcast last week etc... In the Mayo interview, Willem confirms that he will be working with Eggers on his next project, so that's very exciting!

That'll be the 'Viking revenge' movie being shot in Co. Down. Eggers is living up north preparing for the shoot. Nicole Kidman and Anya Taylor Joy both will be in it. Can't wait to see what he does with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Watched this last night and enjoyed it, it shows what a farce the Oscars are that neither were nominated, especially defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

jobless wrote: »
    Watched this last night and enjoyed it, it shows what a farce the Oscars are
    I never pay any attention to them, and certainly never watch them. I couldn't tell you who has ever won anything. Tell a lie- I remember Denzel Washington won one for 'Training Day' (he did, didn't he?).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Absolutely blown away by this. Just a really brilliant piece of work. Brilliantly shot and the sound design in this is just out of this world good, the creaking sounds, water, rain, wind and the fog horn all sounded like one demented piece coming from the jaws of some Leviathan Hell. The whole thing is dripping with fantastic themes of myth and symbolism too. It all just brilliantly taps into the subconscious and the total realm of chaos that exists deep within us all that we never really acknowledge.

Just brilliant Real work. Will go to see it again at the weekend coming up.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

buried wrote: »
    Absolutely blown away by this. Just a really brilliant piece of work. Brilliantly shot and the sound design in this is just out of this world good, the creaking sounds, water, rain, wind and the fog horn all sounded like one demented piece coming from the jaws of some Leviathan Hell. The whole thing is dripping with fantastic themes of myth and symbolism too. It all just brilliantly taps into the subconscious and the total realm of chaos that exists deep within us all that we never really acknowledge.

Just brilliant Real work. Will go to see it again at the weekend coming up.

It's brilliant alright. I'm disappointed by the lack of posts in this thread. For the people out there with no way to view it it's available by "other means". Watch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Find a way to see this in the cinema. No other option would suffice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

RasTa wrote: »

Exactly this. The sound design is absolutely unreal. Went to see this again the weekend. I think I'm addicted to the whole package you get from watching this on the big screen with the full frontal assault of sound. Something about the old style camera work and the unreal scope of sound that goes with it. Will try to go again this weekend if I can. Magic stuff, only the cinema will do.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I will be rewatching this in the cinema this week. It was such a good experience, the sound mainly. It would mainly be lost watching at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Just out from seeing this, no idea what the heck I just watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Interesting film, glad I got round to seeing it. Very refreshing experience.
    RasTa wrote: »

Yeah would certainly agree with that. Got to see it last week in a small cinema. Out of the twenty five seats, about twenty three were full.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Best use of farts since Blazing Saddles.

Where to even start with this madness? A whirling storm of beautiful cinematography, sound design and symbolism, all tethered by demented and intense performances. Not a horror, nor comedy, nor thriller, but some strange drunken miasma of all of them.

Not a subtle movie by any stretch, but one that'll leave you thinking, with occasional tentacular nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Don't understand how this isn't horror. It's scarier than any other modern 'horror'. Makes the Conjuring series look like Goosebumps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't understand how this isn't horror. It's scarier than any other modern 'horror'. Makes the Conjuring series look like Goosebumps.

In simple terms, IMO I believe it's just the direction "horror" has gone as a genre: rightly or wrongly, for many in mainstream audiences, horror films effectively function as Haunted Houses mixed with theme park rides, jump scares n' all. The surrealist dread of The Lighthouse would simply bore that audience, or leave them with the "wrong" kind of emotional reaction they might have been looking for. For me, The Conjuring aim for that "scream-laugh" endorphin hit, where the rush from the jump scare is quickly followed by the laugh that you did in the first place. Similar to other adrenaline-rush hobbies in many respects. The Lighthouse left me with a queasy, unsettled feeling that runs antithetical to that other form of Horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Defoe and that fog horn sound were the two stars of that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Just finished The Lighthouse and was gripped. Trying to comprehend it all now.
    The performances of Pattinson and Defoe were mesmerising, hypnotic, fully immersive.

Plenty to ponder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Showing in Triskel, Cork from Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

Showing in Triskel, Cork from Sunday.
    *That's next Sunday, the 8th to the 12th of March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

ThePott wrote: »
    *That's next Sunday, the 8th to the 12th of March
    So it is. "Parasite" this weekend. I've been resisting the urge to see it in the cineplex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Because its a documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just watched this last night. Thought it was terrible. I'm not somebody who's interested in anything arthouse, so maybe I'm not the right audience. I thought it was hammy, didn't have a clear sense of story and was more like a bad play in many parts. While some may enjoy this as genius, I thought it might be more emperor's new clothes to be honest. It'd still recommend it to anyone with an interest in film and patience for a film without a clear narrative. However, to everyone else with more mainstream tastes I'd say don't bother.

Advertisement