Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serving court papers gone wrong!

• 01-12-2019 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Served a court paper at a defendants home address (a family member accepted it on their behalf without knowing that the defendant is being sued) and things turned left quick.😳 In the end defendant parent tore up the letter, caught it on video.

Is that proof of defendant being served?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Tiki90 wrote: »
    Served a court paper at a defendants home address (a family member accepted it on their behalf without knowing that the defendant is being sued) and things turned left quick.😳 In the end defendant parent tore up the letter, caught it on video.

Is that proof of defendant being served?

I thought personal service was supposed to be directly to the person themselves.
    If "an agent" known to the person has damaged/destroyed the letter you could consider reporting the matter to gardai - it's an offence to tamper with post.
    If you are putting it on an affadafit that you served "X" with court papers, but also that you know "X" destroyed the papers, I believe that would nullify service of papers, but would allow a court to grant permission for substitute service.

(I'm not legally trained...but that's my understanding given the piece of information you have posted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

It would be an interesting one, you could sign an affidavit that the documents were served to an individual that purported to represent the defendant and that that is enough to discharge your duty, what they do next is not under your control.

However that could be a tricky argument to make, you are better of getting a summons server to do it properly and then you have an unbiased account in court as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume you know the explicit, specific & legitimate purpose you are processing the persons personal data?
    And that you are processing it fairly and transparently? They person you videoed knows who you are and where to contact you if they were to submit a SAR right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Generally, destroying court papers just served does not render them nugatory.
    Personal service is best achieved by actual service on the intended recipient.

If the next step is a motion for judgment there might well be a problem in establishing that bona fide service has occurred.

If an intended recipient is evading service the next thing to do is to apply for an order for substituted service - usually a public notice in a newspaper. That will deal with evasion of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tiki90

I got in contact with the court and they said to me that it was served (served to any member of the family) . I could do it myself. Presuming that information is correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement