Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Needs Meath CoCo

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi, looking for some advice really..I am trying to get planning permission in the Meath area. I was refused in June based on Local Needs, everything else was perfect.
    After spending a huge amount of money, all my savings and get refused, it was very disheartening. I am putting it in again and have a pre planning clinic next week. The only thing is I don't have any additional info that would strengthen my case. My dad owns the site, it is about 5 miles from the family home. I am living at home with parents, working in Dublin, commuting everyday, have never bought or sold a property and need my own place. As the site is 5 miles away, I am not an actively seeking member of the community...
    Has anybody been through this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First thing I would suggest is have a read at the Meath county development plan particularly the rural housing/local needs section or whatever they have labelled it. Most planning authorities have this available online and you would probably be able to download and print the relevant pages.

Familiarise yourself with it and then get a good councillor (that sounds all wrong :eek:) to give you some advice. Perhaps that councillor could attend the pre planning clinic with you.

You should also look through a few of the other planning applications in the area which should also be available online and see what documents etc were submitted and accepted.

You should also be guided by your own architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

muffler wrote: »
    Familiarise yourself with it and then get a good councillor

This is good advice. They won't 'get you permission' as they might claim, but they deal with the coucil every day and know what to and what not to put say or put on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

What reason did they give for failing you on local needs?

I showed my voting address, produced a letter from my primary school and a letter from my bank. This worked for me and I'm in Meath too. You will have to approach this carefully it can be hard to overturn a decision made on a previous application. Get a well reputed councellor or TD for PP's to help you. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Hi Hunnybee

Just starting my build at the moment and it took over 6 months to get planning with Meath CO CO.

I’m not from Meath but moved up about 10 years ago (athlumney Area) and the misses has lived there her entire life about 100m from the site and she had to go back 10 years in bank statements, Insurance letters, letters from her schools, work and the church to prove she has lived in the area.

Now imo I think its what planner you get, some are really nice and some are well lets say not so nice:p but get as much info as you can, are you a member of any local clubs, GAA, Gun clubs etc and if so get letters from them, just bombard the Coco with documentation to prove you are living and are active in the local area.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jaysus, such a load of red tape.

In Donegal, a letter from a councillor suffices. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Dont get me started smashey i could rant all day long about Meath Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I can appreciate the idea behind "local need". However, I have always questioned it legality under our Constitution. But I do wonder why people are put through such hardship and red tape, to prove there links to an area.

Having to contact your Primary or Secondary School is crazy!

Surely the Council has a Voting Register and can simply look it up to see if you are / were registered to vote since you were 18 - or would this be too simple?

Car tax is another record at the Councils finger tips, giving name and address of owner. Its a pity these computer databases aren't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

" .....go back 10 years in bank statements, Insurance letters, letters from her schools, work and the church to prove she has lived in the area.

Now imo I think its what planner you get, some are really nice and some are well lets say not so nice but get as much info as you can, are you a member of any local clubs, GAA, Gun clubs etc and if so get letters from them, just bombard the Coco with documentation to prove you are living and are active in the local area."

Totally agree......went through all this myself in same county and you do basically need to bombard them with info.....
    What you need to do re Local Needs is to somehow tie yourself to the community/area......5 miles doesnt sound overly far away so you need to prove that you have ties to the area and that you (somehow) contribute to the overall fabric of the area...

For example, given its your Dad's site, that should be a good start as it is on "family land"....also do you have relatives living in the area? Do you have elderly relatives in the area that you could show have some sort of dependence on you to call and check on them etc (maybe get a letter from the Local Doctor/Priest etc).....an OS map including the site showing all relatives houses marked out etc..

Are you or your mother/father part of the community (ICA, football clubs) etc etc

Loads of stuff like this really and dont just fill in the Council documentation re Local needs.....Include a lengthy letter outlining why you meet the Local Needs requirements...

best of luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Just a personal opinion but if I had spent alot of money on a planning application as with many others I would challange it in court.

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the "local needs" issue its simply incorrect not only by our constitution but also by the rights afforded under the European huamn Rights charter. There is a case pendning on this issue in Europe but it seems to be taking years to get a result.

The bottom line is that if your from outside of Ireland and want to settle in any part of many counties including Meath Co Co, you are forced to purchase in certain areas which is simply racist.

It is always a wonder as to how there are so many "Foreign" Millionaires with purpose built mansions in some of these LA areas and they certainly are not "local".

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

kkelliher wrote: »
    Just a personal opinion but if I had spent alot of money on a planning application as with many others I would challange it in court.

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the "local needs" issue its simply incorrect not only by our constitution but also by the rights afforded under the European huamn Rights charter. There is a case pendning on this issue in Europe but it seems to be taking years to get a result.

The bottom line is that if your from outside of Ireland and want to settle in any part of many counties including Meath Co Co, you are forced to purchase in certain areas which is simply racist.

It is always a wonder as to how there are so many "Foreign" Millionaires with purpose built mansions in some of these LA areas and they certainly are not "local".

Rant over

Your not ranting at all.

Your simply describing the typically 'Irish' approach that has been taken to Planning. The very fact that its necessary to get a Political representative involved in the process just highlights the insanity of the process.

What needs to be done, is that instead of forcing people who simply want to build a home of their own to find out what hoops they need to jump thru to get PP, all the while spending large sums of money. LAs should encourage the creation of clusters of serviced sites, which can be sold with OPP. This way they encourage sustainable developments in communities & remove the lottery that is PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

My heart goes out to you hunnybee, because I know what's it's like having to deal with these people...
    I will say though, you do NOT want to give Meath CoCo a chance to find something to fail you on!
    and if u did say in your local needs that you were commuting (working) up and down to Dublin, than that was a bit of a booboo on your part!
    All I can say to you is collect as many local documents as possible.
    School letters, Letter from the Parish Priest, Government issued letters, Bank Statements, anything basically and put them in with a re-submittal.
    I applied in Meath and had to mention the fact that family resided in the area for 150 years!!!
    anyhow, if you need further assitance, feel free to PM me.
    Thanks,
    k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

kormak wrote: »
    My heart goes out to you hunnybee, because I know what's it's like having to deal with these people...
    I will say though, you do NOT want to give Meath CoCo a chance to find something to fail you on!
    and if u did say in your local needs that you were commuting (working) up and down to Dublin, than that was a bit of a booboo on your part!
    All I can say to you is collect as many local documents as possible.
    School letters, Letter from the Parish Priest, Government issued letters, Bank Statements, anything basically and put them in with a re-submittal.
    I applied in Meath and had to mention the fact that family resided in the area for 150 years!!!
    anyhow, if you need further assitance, feel free to PM me.
    Thanks,
    k

Yep - sh1tload of local needs info got us our permission in meath - no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sainbaeno

Old thread but relevant as ever?

I'm looking at planning in Meath. My family lives there. I live in Dublin-30mins away. I've kept my vote there, my bank statements etc. Do I say I work in the area? I'm self employed anyway. Saying I commute to Dublin would be a bad idea I guess but do they look for proof of work etc?

Filling out the local needs form and I'm such a truthful idiot I had to pause and think for a minute.

Any help appreciated.

Advertisement