Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux windows very high of the ground (cannot reach)

Options
  • 30-11-2019 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

We are currently in the process of designing our house, recently we added a bit of height to the upstairs rooms, this means that the velux windows in two bedrooms are now above head height out of arms reach. They start at 2.2 metres and the pitch is about degrees .

Everyone else seems to think this is ok, we will just get electronic windows and that there is no need to be able to reach them. However as these are the only windows in the room I am a bit worried they will result in the room feeling a bit prison like..

Is it normal for windows to be built above head height like this?

Anyway hope this makes sense...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is this a dormer? Are there regular windows for light (and escape)? is the floor plan very deep? why do you need the velux’s? they are difficult to thermally insulate the junction between roof and frame. Ps I have two about 3.5m over floor, with a long pole to open, I had no choice, needed light in a deep plan add-on extension

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Surely the windows need to act as a fire escape, you should check this out

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Thank guys. It is a dormer. There aren’t regular windows. I would love to add them but my girlfriend thinks it messes up the look of the exterior.

Hadn’t considered the fire escape aspect, do velux windows at a normal height act as a means to escape? Grew up in a bedroom with the window at about head height and guess I could have gotten out if needed, not sure...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KevinK wrote: »
    We are currently in the process of designing our house, recently we added a bit of height to the upstairs rooms, this means that the velux windows in two bedrooms are now above head height out of arms reach. They start at 2.2 metres and the pitch is about degrees .

Everyone else seems to think this is ok, we will just get electronic windows and that there is no need to be able to reach them. However as these are the only windows in the room I am a bit worried they will result in the room feeling a bit prison like..

Is it normal for windows to be built above head height like this?

Anyway hope this makes sense...

Any pics?
    If these are your only windows in the attic space then you have serious fire safety issues and this space may not be classed as habitable. Do you have any professional involvement in the project?

Thank guys. It is a dormer. There aren’t regular windows. I would love to add them but my girlfriend thinks it messes up the look of the exterior.

Hadn’t considered the fire escape aspect, do velux windows at a normal height act as a means to escape? Grew up in a bedroom with the window at about head height and guess I could have gotten out if needed, not sure...

Yes, any habitable room has to have at lease one accessible window for means of escape or rescue and it needs to comply with the strict requirements of Technical Guidance Document Part B.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, given me a lot to think about.

Still haven’t gotten an answer to my question if it will look/feel weird but think we might need to come up with an alternative anyway :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't even need electronic openers tbh.

The ones in my kitchen start at 2.8m, rising to 3.2m off the ground. Velux do a pole especially for this. Mine still has a load of reach left in it.

The only bad thing about them is trying to clean them. It can be pretty dicey standing at the top of a ladder!

Hi guys, just a couple for questions

Have been reading the regulations which say upstairs windows need to start 800mm to 1100 mm of the ground (or 600m for roof lights).

So obviously as this is a new house I want to comply with all the regulations, but I am curious as to what believe think are (were) acceptable heights? How much of this is regulation and how much genuine safety?

My parents house has velux windows starting at about 1700mm, now the house is old so probably not illegal, but is it safe? You guys have me worried now! Should a rope ladder or something be added to the room. Don’t think the average person would get out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If there are no alternative windows that comply with TGD Vol2 1.3.7 then no matter what way you look at it it cannot be a bedroom. Have you someone doing the design for you i.e. professional? If not get them on board asap. These are the absolute minimum basic requirements to comply, not optional extras.

rayjdav wrote: »
    If there are no alternative windows that comply with TGD Vol2 1.3.7 then no matter what way you look at it it cannot be a bedroom. Have you someone doing the design for you i.e. professional? If not get them on board asap. These are the absolute minimum basic requirements to comply, not optional extras.

Have an architect but she is not based on Ireland so wouldn't be familiar with local regs, my father has been involved in construction for many years and the idea was she would design and he would check complicance etc. (in fairness he hasn't seen the new drawings yet and would favour large bay windows)

• Advertisement

Have an architect but she is not based on Ireland so wouldn't be familiar with local regs, my father has been involved in construction for many years and the idea was she would design and he would check complicance etc. (in fairness he hasn't seen the new drawings yet and would favour large bay windows)

Based on this post you need local professional advice.
    Your girlfriend also has to accept the balance between design and minimum regulation requirements.

I see this everyday in my 9-5. UK and NI based designers coming here to do work, all they do is put their name on the BCMS Commencement Notice but have no local knowledge to our regulations. They think the stages are inspected and signed off by local building control like the UK which the home owner pays for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

This in is the issue. Like getting me to look into a jet engine and find whats wrong with it. I dont have a clue of the regs for jets so naturally I wont be able to fix it.:D With all due respect to your father also *, not all builders have the general knowledge of all the recent changes to regulations, and there are loads, and need cross reference between the different booklets so, especially for fire safety, you need someone local with experience to design in accordance with our regulations.
    * (the above in no way is to be taken as a dig on your fathers knowledge of the current regulations)

seamus wrote: »
    You don't even need electronic openers tbh.

The ones in my kitchen start at 2.8m, rising to 3.2m off the ground. Velux do a pole especially for this. Mine still has a load of reach left in it.

The only bad thing about them is trying to clean them. It can be pretty dicey standing at the top of a ladder!

While the above is fine in a kitchen situation (I have the same myself), in the OP’s case they are useless.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Rooms without regulation compliant windows is a sign of bad design.

Get it designed properly by someone who knows the regulations that will need to be built to.

thanks for the advice guys, you you recommend anyone in particular? We had a local architect on board and to be honest weren't very impressed. Simple mistakes like the stairs not working and incorrect calculations (e.g. a 3m x4m room being listed as 17m2).
    wouldn't have huge amount of confidence in them getting it all right to be honest

thanks for the advice guys, you you recommend anyone in particular? We had a local architect on board and to be honest weren't very impressed. Simple mistakes like the stairs not working and incorrect calculations (e.g. a 3m x4m room being listed as 17m2).
    wouldn't have huge amount of confidence in them getting it all right to be honest

Where are you based?
    Have you started yet?
    Have you lodged a commencement notice yet?
    Have you tendered yet and builder picked?

Or are you just through the planning stage?

kceire wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Have you started yet?
    Have you lodged a commencement notice yet?
    Have you tendered yet and builder picked?

Or are you just through the planning stage?

Based in Dublin, have planning but nothing else at this stage.

Based in Dublin, have planning but nothing else at this stage.

Ok.
    You will also need an emery assessment done to determine what insulation, space heating, renewables and ventilation is required.

Advertisement