Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about forestry

Options
  • 24-11-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey there,
    We have a family farm which is approx 40 acres in the west of Ireland. I have been looking into forestry for a number of years as a way of doing something useful with the land and it honestly seems very attractive as both a source of revenue and also as a way of hopefully contributing to the environment (if done properly of course). My own estimate is that about 30 acres or so can only only be planted due to proximity to other houses.

It is surrounded by other agricultural land and a there is a small housing development to the southwest. There is a small big road which leads to it and I think this would likely have to be widened.

I am comfortable now so I don't need the money, and I would feel bad about selling it as it has been in the family for so long..

I would be more than happy of keeping this as an investment for the next generation so would I would likely look at slow growing hardwoods.

My only worry would be possible opposition from other landowners/developers/farmers. As I said there will likely be more houses built in this area soon, and from hearing local farmers talking about forestry they all seem to think it is a terrible idea.

Is it likely there would be much opposition? Would the presence of a forest reduce the value of adjoining land or houses? Also, is there much in the way of grants available for widening a road up to the area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

rodwyer wrote: »
    Hey there,
    We have a family farm which is approx 40 acres in the west of Ireland. I have been looking into forestry for a number of years as a way of doing something useful with the land and it honestly seems very attractive as both a source of revenue and also as a way of hopefully contributing to the environment (if done properly of course). My own estimate is that about 30 acres or so can only only be planted due to proximity to other houses.

It is surrounded by other agricultural land and a there is a small housing development to the southwest. There is a small big road which leads to it and I think this would likely have to be widened.

I am comfortable now so I don't need the money, and I would feel bad about selling it as it has been in the family for so long..

I would be more than happy of keeping this as an investment for the next generation so would I would likely look at slow growing hardwoods.

My only worry would be possible opposition from other landowners/developers/farmers. As I said there will likely be more houses built in this area soon, and from hearing local farmers talking about forestry they all seem to think it is a terrible idea.

Is it likely there would be much opposition? Would the presence of a forest reduce the value of adjoining land or houses? Also, is there much in the way of grants available for widening a road up to the area?

Thanks

Hi Rod,
    I do not think it i a terrible idea. Perhaps consider planting hardwoods with a view to amenity value. If there is likely to be further housing development nearby then this would make sense. You'll have the same or similar investment return from the forest in the long term, although management style would be different. A planting containing a lot of fruits and hardwoods, some hazel etc managed under continuous cover would be lovely.

tim
    best of luck with it whatever you decide.

Advertisement