Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full suspension AM bike

Options
  • 02-09-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi

I'm in the market for a full suss all mountain bike.

I have a grand hardtail but it's just too damn small for me. A bad purchase really! I should have changed ages ago, I would have cycled more. So I'm a little older now so I'm going full suss and new modern geometry.

Budget is 1600 to 1800.

I'm interested in second hand, although there doesn't seem a huge market available.

I've just seen a second hand Lapierre zesty AM 327 for sale 1600 though. Any thoughts on this?

I'm also looking at the Vitus escarpe on CRC.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

What Size of bike are you looking for?
    I have a Transition Covert Full Suss, The bike has had very little use. The bike is well with in your budget €950.

Frame - Transition Covert 2011 - Medium
    Forks - Fox Float 36 RC2
    Brakes - Formula RX
    Rear Shock - Fox RP23
    Wheels - Mavic Deetrax
    Cranks - Shimano SLX
    Derailleur - Sram X7
    Shifter - Sram X7
    Bars - Answer Protaper 720 AM Riser Bar
    Chain Ring - Hope Retainer Narrow Wide 36T
    Grips - ODI Ruffian
    Saddle - SDG Belair SL, I-Beam
    Seat Post - SDG I-Beam
    Stem - Sunline
    Headset - Cane Creek Step Down
    Brake Discs - Superstar Components 203mm F&R
    Bash Guard - Hope
    Bottom Bracket - Shimano SLX
    Chain Guide - Bionicon C-Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

If I was you I'd be looking on the Facebook group entitled Buy & Sell MTB Ireland. There are frequently some great-specced bargain bike on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/490954040982138/?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Second hand is your best bet to get the highest spec for your budget. Marin bikes come with great reviews (not sure if there's anywhere in Ireland to try them) . Vitus are a decent bet (have a hardtail myself), I'm in the same boat as yourself but trying to get out and try a few different brands before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Peter T wrote: »
    Second hand is your best bet to get the highest spec for your budget. Marin bikes come with great reviews (not sure if there's anywhere in Ireland to try them) . Vitus are a decent bet (have a hardtail myself), I'm in the same boat as yourself but trying to get out and try a few different brands before I buy.

Would you consider ex-rentals?

Personally once they have been maintained properly I would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

That's a great budget, there is absolutely loads of stuff out there s/hand at that price point. I've been keeping an eye for the last couple of weeks for a similar style M/L bike for a mechanically unsympathetic 16 year old, so about half that budget. Still decent pickings out there on 2014/2015 frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Vitus Escarpe is a great machine, plus biking.ie rent them in Ticknock and Ballinastoe, so you can try before you buy.

Also worth keeping an eye on bikebargains.co.uk - they round up all the best offers from the likes of Merlin, Evans etc. And paulscycles.co.uk usually have good deals around this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Couple of Vitus Escarpe's in the group I ride with
    Cracking machines for the money, my young fella has the VRX, lovely yoke to ride

You should also look at the new Calibre Bossnut, sold through Go Outdoors in the UK, are getting rave reviews and are around £1100
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684
    With the ar$e falling out of stg might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I have a Vitus Escarpe, absolutely worth the money I paid. No pedal bob at my weight 70kg, I'm faster than some of my friends on XC bikes. Suspension handles everything around Dublin great, nothing is too big. Upgraded the front brake recently after having the bike 6 months, although you can get on fine without it. Don't plan on touching any other component. I have a friend that have commented he would have gotten my bike over massive tag he paid at specialized for the evo comp carbon.

Got burned on a frame failure on a second hand bike after a owning it a few months, so wanted to switch to something new and cheapish.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

mad turnip wrote: »
    I have a Vitus Escarpe, absolutely worth the money I paid. No pedal bob at my weight 70kg, I'm faster than some of my friends on XC bikes. Suspension handles everything around Dublin great, nothing is too big. Upgraded the front brake recently after having the bike 6 months, although you can get on fine without it. Don't plan on touching any other component. I have a friend that have commented he would have gotten my bike over massive tag he paid at specialized for the evo comp carbon.

Got burned on a frame failure on a second hand bike after a owning it a few months, so wanted to switch to something new and cheapish.

Which version of the Escarpe did you get?
    Also 29er or 650b?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Another +1 for the Escarpe, girl in the office has one and I got to mess around on it, lovely bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Get a Calibre Bossnut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

boydkev wrote: »
    What Size of bike are you looking for?
    I have a Transition Covert Full Suss, The bike has had very little use. The bike is well with in your budget €950.

Frame - Transition Covert 2011 - Medium
    Forks - Fox Float 36 RC2
    Brakes - Formula RX
    Rear Shock - Fox RP23
    Wheels - Mavic Deetrax
    Cranks - Shimano SLX
    Derailleur - Sram X7
    Shifter - Sram X7
    Bars - Answer Protaper 720 AM Riser Bar
    Chain Ring - Hope Retainer Narrow Wide 36T
    Grips - ODI Ruffian
    Saddle - SDG Belair SL, I-Beam
    Seat Post - SDG I-Beam
    Stem - Sunline
    Headset - Cane Creek Step Down
    Brake Discs - Superstar Components 203mm F&R
    Bash Guard - Hope
    Bottom Bracket - Shimano SLX
    Chain Guide - Bionicon C-Guide

Any pics?

Any pics?

20156041_10211991709361521_8560383057455011728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQmYnP93vqkvxqoqzRjm-iYMqK6gOql_pFMhhjccxpdQqFTVc1zG6Z18mPy3db7nX-w&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=91c12e56f5df0b8b6645ac0d52a7be84&oe=5E0C8A29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

boydkev wrote: »
    20156041_10211991709361521_8560383057455011728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQmYnP93vqkvxqoqzRjm-iYMqK6gOql_pFMhhjccxpdQqFTVc1zG6Z18mPy3db7nX-w&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=91c12e56f5df0b8b6645ac0d52a7be84&oe=5E0C8A29

26 or 27.5?

26 or 27.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bot1 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm in the market for a full suss all mountain bike.

I have a grand hardtail but it's just too damn small for me. A bad purchase really! I should have changed ages ago, I would have cycled more. So I'm a little older now so I'm going full suss and new modern geometry.

Budget is 1600 to 1800.

I'm interested in second hand, although there doesn't seem a huge market available.

I've just seen a second hand Lapierre zesty AM 327 for sale 1600 though. Any thoughts on this?

I'm also looking at the Vitus escarpe on CRC.

Any opinions?

Bike Park Ireland are having a stock clearance sale at the minute and some serious bargains to be had.

Theres a Trek remedy 7 for €1600 which is an absolute bargain if it's your size and not already sold.

I don't know to much about Kona bikes but some nice ones there also.

IT'S POSSIBLE TO VIEW THESE BIKES (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY) THIS SATURDAY BETWEEN 10AM - 2PM, by calling Graham on 0872831454 or send us a fb message.

https://www.facebook.com/bikeparkireland/

Instead of starting a new thread I'll jump in here. I've come across a decent deal on a full suss bike, 2017 frame, good spec, any suggested upgrades I've read about have been done. One thing I've only ridden 27.5 bikes and this is a 29er. Honestly I think 29er makes sense as I'm shifting to more enduro style riding and aim to put the name down for a few races next year. Is there much of a difference between the two ? Im kinda tight on time to get out on a 29er for a spin so kinda shooting from the hip

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Peter T wrote:
    Instead of starting a new thread I'll jump in here. I've come across a decent deal on a full suss bike, 2017 frame, good spec, any suggested upgrades I've read about have been done. One thing I've only ridden 27.5 bikes and this is a 29er. Honestly I think 29er makes sense as I'm shifting to more enduro style riding and aim to put the name down for a few races next year. Is there much of a difference between the two ? Im kinda tight on time to get out on a 29er for a spin so kinda shooting from the hip

Seems like many are moving to 29, it ll probably be grand, what kind of money?

Go and test ride a 29r. I was similar before and when I rode a 29r I wasn't a fan at all. Just because they're the new trend doesn't mean they're necessarily for you. If you really want to be on point you'll be running 29r front and 27.5 rear :D

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Seems like many are moving to 29, it ll probably be grand, what kind of money?

Talking around 1k, recently serviced, and has a few upgrades etc.

@iwillhtfu problem is I don't have the time to go test one out. I wouldn't really be one to follow a trend really but looking at them on paper they seem to suit the type of riding I intend to use it for. Mullet bike would be the ultimate alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Peter T wrote:
    Talking around 1k, recently serviced, and has a few upgrades etc.

That's not bad at all, I'm 27.5 myself, it works for me but I certainly will be checking out 29 before the next purchase. I know experienced lads that have moved over already, and they seem to be very happy, but I am a check before you buy kinna person, only you will really know

I'll take a look at it anyway. If it all goes tits up after buying I can sell it on or use the parts to build a bike more suitable... n+1 ftw

I'll take a look at it anyway. If it all goes tits up after buying I can sell it on or use the parts to build a bike more suitable... n+1 ftw

What bike is it?

2017 Nukeproof mega Comp

2017 Nukeproof mega Comp

nice one and well worth a punt at €1k. A shame you can't get to test ride it, it would be handy if you could take it for a bit of a spin with the owner. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement