Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAP - Pedal Up

• 01-10-2019 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

Anyone know the elevation and distance of the pedal up road in Glencullen Adventure Park?

Is it comparable to Ticknock?

Haven't been before so just trying to figure out if it's worth paying €40 for the up-lift or just pay a fiver and pedal up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Haven't been before so just trying to figure out if it's worth paying €40 for the up-lift or just pay a fiver and pedal up.

Oh pay the money, pedalling up looks awful, you ll have much more fun getting the uplifts, life's too short for all that fitness stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I'd say it's around the same as from the bike hut to the masts in Ticknock, or maybe a little less.

What a lot of people do is pay the €5 entry, and buy 5 uplifts for €10 (€2 each). Or buy fewer uplifts. The idea is to pedal up for the first couple of runs, and then use the uplifts when you get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Flagrantfolly

Hadn't thought of that...great shout. The cycle up to the masts and beyond in Ticknock is no problem so a few up and downs for a fiver and then up-lift after that sounds like the right job. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

The pedal up is substantially easier than the hut-masts pedal up at Ticknock. Depending on how fit you are you'll easily get more runs per hour at The Gap pedaling up than waiting for the uplifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭covey123

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    life's too short for all that fitness stuff

Quote of the year : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its approximately 100m of vertical from the bottom to the top drop off. Way easier climb than Ticknock, only about 10 to 12 mins from shop back to drop off.

Depends how flush you are and what you want from the day, I sometimes find paying the uplift means you end up charging down the runs, chasing the bus to get as many runs as possible. With a pedal up and 5 uplifts its more relaxed and you have time session sections of trail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Plastik wrote: »
    Depending on how fit you are you'll easily get more runs per hour at The Gap pedaling up than waiting for the uplifts.

Yeah that's not true at all to be honest. The pedal up is grand but unless you're pedalling up an ebike there's no way you'll get more runs than with the uplift. OP what some folks do is pedal up in the morning and then get the up lift in the afternoon but the whole idea of a bike park is to enjoy the runs down the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Takes me about 9 minutes to pedal up so wouldn’t bother with uplifts. I think it’s a nice climb too! Having said that it would be another matter on a “big” bike!

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yeah that's not true at all to be honest. The pedal up is grand but unless you're pedalling up an ebike there's no way you'll get more runs than with the uplift. OP what some folks do is pedal up in the morning and then get the up lift in the afternoon but the whole idea of a bike park is to enjoy the runs down the way.

I can pedal up in about 7 minutes on a HT from the drop off at the front. I have regularly been waiting at the bottom for an uplift bus either to arrive, or to fill for more than 7 minutes.

So as I said, depending on how fit you are, it is absolutely true that you will get more runs per hour on the pedal ups.

I can pedal up in about 7 minutes on a HT from the drop off at the front. I have regularly been waiting at the bottom for an uplift bus either to arrive, or to fill for more than 7 minutes.

So as I said, depending on how fit you are, it is absolutely true that you will get more runs per hour on the pedal ups.

We'll have to disagree so, you must be lining up for the xc world cup

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    Takes me about 9 minutes to pedal up so wouldn’t bother with uplifts. I think it’s a nice climb too! Having said that it would be another matter on a “big” bike!

The way I view it is the Gap is operating as a bike park so without making use of the facilities and handing over cash it will cease to operate as such. I'd be be charging more for the cheap skates looking to pedal up :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The way I view it is the Gap is operating as a bike park so without making use of the facilities and handing over cash it will cease to operate as such. I'd be be charging more for the cheap skates looking to pedal up :D

Wouldn’t disagree with you there - €5 is probably too cheap! For me climbing is nearly as much fun as descending and I would have no interest in hanging around waiting for an uplift. I have asked them, on more than one occasion, to consider having and annual/season membership for people like me who have no interest in spending hours there but would like to include a couple of runs as part of a loop around the Leadmines/3 Rock!

Wouldn’t disagree with you there - €5 is probably too cheap! For me climbing is nearly as much fun as descending and I would have no interest in hanging around waiting for an uplift. I have asked them, on more than one occasion, to consider having and annual/season membership for people like me who have no interest in spending hours there but would like to include a couple of runs as part of a loop around the Leadmines/3 Rock!

I suppose like everything, it comes down to insurance, they need to know who is on their premises at any given time. When you pay your €5 pedal up you're also signing yourself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I've only got uplifts there once. Always pedal up. The top half of the climb is good for a bit of training - only horrible part is up from the Sacred Stone.

I agree the €5 is cheap, but I'd say they make a fair bit in the cafe as well. You work up a serious appetite climbing up 8 or 9 times.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I agree the €5 is cheap, but I'd say they make a fair bit in the cafe as well. You work up a serious appetite climbing up 8 or 9 times.

I'd say if you saw the trend of their insurance renewal you'd think otherwise. In saying that the grub in the café is really good as are the prices also the Thurs evening beer & burger for €10 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Although each complement the other the cafe is leased out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I often go with my teenage son and we pedal up in about 10 minutes. Good for building the legs, and the character! Though he's usually wrecked after 5/6 climbs.
    Sometimes pay for 5 uplifts and do maybe 8 in total.
    They way I see it, you have to earn the downhills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Flagrantfolly

Cheers for the feedback everyone. I tend to enjoy the climbing as well as the downhill so it'll be pedal-up for me.

Just a heads up if you were planning on going on a Sunday. They're running a downhill league every Sunday afternoon for the month of October so you'll only get the morning session in.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bot1

Hi lads
    What's the earliest that you can pedal up at the GAP?
    Also I can probably only go for a couple of hours, so could I just buy 2/3 uplifts rather than half a day's worth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The pedal up is no bother at all. I wouldn't uplift. Takes less than 10 mins.
    Not sure what time is the earliest you can do it, the earliest I got there and pedalled up was 10am.

Bot1 wrote: »
    Hi lads
    Also I can probably only go for a couple of hours, so could I just buy 2/3 uplifts rather than half a day's worth?

I've been up there at 9.30 on Sunday's before, not sure what their official opening is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭3102derek

Hi lads
    You can pedal up from 9am. So you can easily get 2 or 3 runs in before the uplifts start.

You can buy a half day uplift, a full day uplift or buy 5 for a tenner.

One more thing on this lads - can you access the GAP from ticknock?

It seems close enough.

Although this may not be allowed by GAP?

Yes, you can access it via a gate so that you cycle down and sign-in/pay.

Yeah also works out handy doing it in reverse, pedal up and a few uplifts then into Ticknock for a bit of pedalling and then back into the Gap for some more trails. Can make a decent day of it and get a good few km in.

Cool. Can I ask where the gate is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement

This is the point where Ticknock & The Gap meet.
    I think that's what Bot1 was referring to.
    You can see the start of the Red/Black trails from the satellite pic.

When you're doing the Ticknock loop after you've climbed all the way to the top you descend the back side before climbing back up a fireroad again to the mast. When you hit that fireroad turn right instead of following the coillte loop back up the hill. You won't miss the gate

When you're doing the Ticknock loop after you've climbed all the way to the top you descend the back side before climbing back up a fireroad again to the mast. When you hit that fireroad turn right instead of following the coillte loop back up the hill. You won't miss the gate

Got it.
    Thanks lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Cool. Can I ask where the gate is?

When you come to the end of the upper Metro trail in Ticknock turn right instead of left. The gate into the Gap is around 100m down the fire road on your left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Takes me about 9 minutes to pedal up

This must have been on a bad day, 9 minutes!!?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This must have been on a bad day, 9 minutes!!?

I was just making allowances for people like you who spend more time riding airplanes than bicycles!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement