Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011/2012 Ski Holiday

Options
  • 06-04-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

When do the 2011/2012 ski holidays become available to book in Ireland? Online booking has been available on UK sites since January. I guess we get the leftovers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

...and can anyone recommend good value family ski destinations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I started looking for our family holiday over 2 weeks ago and Crystal & Inghams were available then, you have to ring Inghams to book but you can book online with Crystal except for Christmas & New years - this is due to them deciding to make Christmas an 8 day holiday & new years a 6 day one and flights havent been confirmed yet, well thats what they told me on the phone ! Direct Ski have not launched yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved to Winter Sports. You'll get better informed advice here rather than the general Travel forum.

Enjoy.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I started looking for our family holiday over 2 weeks ago and Crystal & Inghams were available then, you have to ring Inghams to book but you can book online with Crystal except for Christmas & New years - this is due to them deciding to make Christmas an 8 day holiday & new years a 6 day one and flights havent been confirmed yet, well thats what they told me on the phone ! Direct Ski have not launched yet.

Yes - I saw that 6 day New Years change on the UK booking sites. I woul dhazard a guess that there isn't a 14% reduction in cost!!!

Will look into Crystal/Inghams. Thanks for the pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Stugots wrote: »
    ...and can anyone recommend good value family ski destinations?

I don't have kids myself but was talking to a few mothers in my ski class earlier this year they have researched a few different countries and they always settle on Austria due to the short transfer times and also the length of the day in ski school. They were saying they (themselves and their kids) have a longer day in ski school compared to other countries. I was in Zell am See this year and the two women in my ski class said they loved the place, thought it was ideal for families and said they would definately be back. Both did the trip DIY.

• Advertisement

bovril wrote: »
    .... they always settle on Austria due to the short transfer times and also the length of the day in ski school. They were saying they (themselves and their kids) have a longer day in ski school compared to other countries. ...
    ... Both did the trip DIY.

Interesting - I wasn't aware of differences length in the ski school day.

I would be interested in DIY booking for flexibility, but is it inevitably much more expensive?

I would be interested in DIY booking for flexibility, but is it inevitably much more expensive?

Not sure exactly how much you'd save doing DIY, I've always looked out for bargains with TOs. I will be hoping to do DIY for next year though as I do think I will save money this way and will probably head back to Zell Am See. Have a look now at flights to Salzburg and Munich and then price trains. The flight prices now will be approximate. They will stop the Salzburg flights at some stage in the next while and then only put them up again in August September time for the winter schedule.

If you look at the resort websites you can get details of hotels and e-mail them and ask for prices too and compare with the TOs offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'm a big fan of Val Cenis in France for family holidays. Quiet resort where it's safe to let them out on their own, ski school that takes kids from age three, and a creche that takes them from three months, and best of all, the longest green run in Europe, so even the most nervous skier can get down safely.

The CIS (www.cis-valcenis.com) is not luxurious, but the price is excellent, includes your ski pass, all food, entertainment and a little bus to take and collect kids from ski school.

Oh, and some challenging skiing for the adults. Plus a really cheap bar.

EileenG wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Val Cenis in France for family holidays. Quiet resort where it's safe to let them out on their own, ski school that takes kids from age three, and a creche that takes them from three months, and best of all, the longest green run in Europe, so even the most nervous skier can get down safely.

The CIS (www.cis-valcenis.com) is not luxurious, but the price is excellent, includes your ski pass, all food, entertainment and a little bus to take and collect kids from ski school.

Oh, and some challenging skiing for the adults. Plus a really cheap bar.

Sounds great. What airport do you fly to? What sort of prices per person at CIS?

Sounds great. What airport do you fly to? What sort of prices per person at CIS?

Different airports are possible. For the last few years, a gang of Irish people have been going out after Christmas or New Year (before the children go back to school) and staying there. Average prices was 370-400 per week, with reductions for children. Last year, we got a great deal where ski hire was included in that as well.

The best airport is probably Turin, but Paris, Lyon or Grenoble are all possible.

• Advertisement

Well I have just done something completely mad but I dont care !!!! we are very very restricted with holidays next year and the only time that we could go is from the 31st Dec to 7th Jan....I know most expensive time ! We have set our heart on Obertauern & have taken two weeks to find accommodation there, emailed 29 places & over half of them were already booked out ! the apt is only being held for 4 days before we have to make a firm booking and it looks like Aer Lingus wont be releasing their winter schedule for another month or so and I just couldnt wait........so booked Lufthansa from Dublin to Salzburg for 169 pp ! and that includes one case each and all taxes & charges !but of course there is a down side....we stop off in Frankfurt, however, we arrive in Salzburg at 13.35, and will be sitting in our apartment by 3pm on New Years Eve ! I am a happy bunny !!!

Well I have just done something completely mad but I dont care !!!! we are very very restricted with holidays next year and the only time that we could go is from the 31st Dec to 7th Jan....I know most expensive time ! We have set our heart on Obertauern & have taken two weeks to find accommodation there, emailed 29 places & over half of them were already booked out ! the apt is only being held for 4 days before we have to make a firm booking and it looks like Aer Lingus wont be releasing their winter schedule for another month or so and I just couldnt wait........so booked Lufthansa from Dublin to Salzburg for 169 pp ! and that includes one case each and all taxes & charges !but of course there is a down side....we stop off in Frankfurt, however, we arrive in Salzburg at 13.35, and will be sitting in our apartment by 3pm on New Years Eve ! I am a happy bunny !!!

Sounds great. I'm looking to go at the same time. How many of you are travelling? Do you mind giving an approximation for what your total cost per person will be?

Hiya, there are 4 of us travelling.

Flights (last night) Lufthansa Dub-Salzburg 169e pp incl 1 case each
    Private transfer from Salzburg to accommodation in Obertauern 42 pp return

We ended up booking the Steinadler Aparthotel - now we did treat ourselves a bit !! we have booked type C 65m2-74m2 2k which makes it 711 approx pp (you do need to add 11e pp for towels/linen if you dont bring your own) only 50m to the lift but you could go for the smaller apartments or even go to their sister accommodation called the Obertauern Alps, which you probably could get the price down to mid 600's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well I have just done something completely mad but I dont care !!!! ........ We have set our heart on Obertauern ........so booked Lufthansa from Dublin to Salzburg for 169 pp ............... I am a happy bunny !!!

Very jealous. I love Obertauern. Too soon for me to be thinking about booking though, as I'm still paying for this year :o. I have to concentrate on saving.

Seriously considering 2 x 3-4 day trip next season rather than 1x week. Will have to work out much more expensive it would be, but would be great to go in December and again in February

So Juke you've been to Obertauern ! I've heard great things about it - only been to France and Finland for skiing up to now and cant wait to go. I love the idea of 2 x 3/4 days and that def will be an option for us in the 12/13 season. Out of curiosity, when you skied in Obertauern did you use the regular lift pass or did you use the 'points' system - I was talking to a guy last weekend and they use the 'points' system every time and save quite a bit of money but you have to specifically ask for it in the shops. It sounds like a pre-loaded credit card thingy & you use the points on the lifts. Maybe other resorts use it but I've never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Until this year we always used the weekly lift pass. This year I also went with a beginner for three days. I opted for 2.5 day pass, and got her a points card.

Each lift has points associated to it - fully displayed. They range from about 8 (beginner drag lift ) to 60 (Gondola) (I'm working off an old brochure). When you scan the card (which of course can be in your jacket pocket) it briefly shows up how many points are left. The only disadvantages I could see are:

a. You can't top them up - however you can use the balance on one and new card together for one lift - so you won't be left with a load of cards at the end with just a few points on each. In the 2.5 days she used a 250 and most of a 150 points card.
    b. the brochure said not all lifts have ticket sales, so in theory you'd have to make sure you pick a route, or at least keep an eye on the points, so you end up at a lift where you can buy a new card, so you won't get stuck! No answer to that, as it wasn't an issue for my friend. That said, it's not that big a resort, and again, from the old brochure, there's at least 1 ticket sale kiosk for every 2 lifts. Also, your hotel will be happy to buy whatever passes you want, and they'll be ready for you at breakfast on the first morning.

From that trip it certainly seemed a lot of savings could be made.

Not sure if I kept a brochure of the prices this year (if I find one I'll scan it for you), and the lift website link doesn't work properly, but the paper brochure is translated, if you've no German, so have a read when you get there. Remember, you'll pay €3.00 per card tax, redeemable when you return them before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thatsme

Re the points passes they are beneficial if you are not using the whole mountain and intend staying on the nursery slopes otherwise in my experience you are better of with the standard 6 day pass, this is based on experience in Italy have never skied Obertaurn.
    If you are flying with Lufthansa a ski bag is included in your flight also!. Flew with them two years ago and they were top class - in flight meals are also included. Would have booked them again to Zurich for next Feb however the return flight to Dublin did not link up with the transfer from the resort. Waiting for Aer Lingus to release flights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

We ended up booking the Steinadler Aparthotel
    Is that the one at the Gamsleiten 1 lift?

Juke - many thanks, that clarify's things for me. I certainly wont be getting a points card for the 12 year old as he is the most advanced skier of the lot of us and I would be having nightmares that he would ring me from some far away slope and tell me that he has run out of points and would I go and rescue him !!!!

thatsme - It was a bit of a 'shocker' when I was booking the flights last night, I kept expecting some hidden charges to appear, but no, 169pp return, with a 20kg allowance each, 8kg of handluggage & a ski bag ! We flew with Swissair last year and it was the same - the cabin crew came around with beautiful packs of cards for the children & the then 11 year old pipes up "how much do these cost ?!?!" the poor hostess says "little one they are free" 11 year old replies "I never want to fly Ryanair again cos they dont give you free things" !!!

Steve - yes its the one beside the Gamsleitin lift - do you know it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've stayed in the hotel beside it so don't know what it's like inside but if it's the one I'm thinking of then it's ski home and ski to the lift - bonus.

Here's some crappy phone pics of what I'm on about:

Lift:
    155371.jpg

Think this is your hotel:
    155372.jpg

The weather was crap in the pics there - it's the kinda place where it'll be sunny for three and snowing for two days out of five - been going there for years and love it though.

And for full disclosure, Juke is my OH so that's why I'm agreeing with her :)

• Advertisement

LOL ! Love the pics ! thanks for those !!! I assume you were staying at the Winter Hotel ? we got a slightly cheaper quote from them, but our 12 yr old is a Coeliac, so a good kitchen is essential and the ones in the Steinadler 'appear' to be better. We dont speak German and I was doing my best with google translate to communicate with the Winter & all that seemed to be coming back was 'yes' the rooms had microwaves & fridges which really isnt enough for us plus they only had drawings of the apartments as opposed to the steinadler that had pics of the kitchens. So fingers crossed that we have made the right decision, location certainly seems great and I believe the snow record is great !

Feel free the pair of you to add any words of wisdom for us, its much appreciated ! oh yeah, whats the supermarket like ? we intend to bring enough food for at least two days but will certainly need to pay it a visit on the monday. Wahooo I'm getting excited and its months away !!!!!

Hmm, it seems I was mistaken there, it looks like the same hotel but it's not - other end of the town to where I was.
    http://www.apparthotelsteinadler.com/our_house.shtml

There's a nice interactive map here that shows you where the shops and facilities are (click the English flag to translate):
    http://maps.obertauern.com/openpano.php?name=obertauern

Turn on apartments & holiday flats -> 4 star to see yours, you'll have to scroll to the left.

I'd say you're a bit of a walk to the shops but if you've a ski pass then use the ski busses to go shopping during the day. There are two decent shops - as you come from your hotel towards the centre, they're on the right - not huge but they'll have all the essentials. Turn on shops in that link and you'll see - Markt Obertauern is one but there's another slightly closer to you. They close around 6 I think, earlier on Sunday.

Most hotels there have a deal with the local ski rental shops so ask if they have any discount vouchers when you're checking in - they mightn't but you can't lose anything by asking! :D

I realised that about an hour ago too ! the lift that is beside the Steinadler is the Grunwaldkopf ! I looked at your photo's early this am, and all day it was puzzling me as to the angle of your photo and as soon as I got in the door I was on the interactive map - we knew it was down the road from the village - think your photo might be of the Schneider ? (we did try to get an apartment in there but they were fully booked for our dates). The nearest ski school is the Koch one, which is about 4-5 mins walk and the kids can ski back to the Steinadler which is great. Thanks for the info re the supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solarchick

hey guys,

me and 5 friends are thinking of booking skiing for next christmas time maybe 26th December - 2nd January, is this a very expensive time? is there much discounts when booking now? i cant seem to find much flights.we were in Soll in Austria last year with Topflight it worked out fairly expensive, approx 1200 for accomodation, lift pass, ski school, flights ,transfers.. are you better off to book it separatly?

Yes, it's an expensive time. That particular week is high season everywhere, but Irish Tour operators are vicious about piling on the pain, since they know that parents with school children are stuck with that week.

You are probably a lot better booking everything separately. You may well find that if you get a hotel, they might be able to get you a discount on ski hire or a few euro off the lift pass.

If you see suitable flights, grab them. They are more likely to go up rather than down.

@solarchick - Like EileenG says look out for bargain flights.

Flights to Salzburg with Aerlingus and Ryanair are not up at the minute. Not sure about Munich or Bergamo etc. I am keeping an eye out for them and some people say they might be on sale at the start of June.

I'd advise having a look at a few possible resorts which take your fancy. Go to the official tourist website and e-mail a few of the hotels and apartments and ask for prices. You should also get info on what the transfer possibilities are here whether it be private or public transport. The hotels might also have info on transfers. If you get a few ideas on price for a DIY job then at least you can compare to the TO prices and see how much you're likely to save. If you look for an apartment because you are a group of 5 it may be cheaper.

I think the TO prices should be on the websites around July/August. If you ring them now they might have them too.

Advertisement